R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-27-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Atlas blue can vs red can

Could someone please explain to me the difference between the Atlas-based blue and red can motors?
Thanks,
Kane
Kane-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

one is blue one is red
stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The blue can is torque based and the red can is RPM based
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuey View Post
one is blue one is red
nice avatar......
Old 12-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
The blue can is torque based and the red can is RPM based
Thanks for the quick response.
-Kane
Old 12-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to tandman

Kane...from my experience the blue can you would gear about the same or a tooth lower than the checkpoint 19. The red can motor seemed to be right between the Komodo and the checkpoint as far as torque/rpm goes.
Team Sweepracing-R1 Wurks Team Canada
tandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandman View Post
Kane...from my experience the blue can you would gear about the same or a tooth lower than the checkpoint 19. The red can motor seemed to be right between the Komodo and the checkpoint as far as torque/rpm goes.
I've been able to get HUGH torque and RPM out of this motor, but you better have some very good batteries. My best red can one ( I have 4 red and 2 blue) will draw over 11 amps at 3 volts and no, the arm is not bound up in the bearings!
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to tandman

The atlas motors both make good power....red can is just more rpm based than the blue can....I just tried to explain it through gearing as I race with Kane at some series races and knew that he would have ran the other motors that I had mentioned. One red can motor I have actually pulls over 12 amps at 2volts on my Muchmore Motormaster, makes big power on the dyno and pulls very hard on the track......I am always playing around and testing different combos....the Komodos when geared and tuned properly can make really good power aswell....they just seem to have a smaller gearing window to run the fastest. The hemi Chameleons have a little wider gearing window to be fast but still have a sweet spot. I find that the Atlas motors are a little harder to gear correctly because they seem to be relatively fast within a couple teeth. Still the motors to beat seem to be Trinity based. For a big flowing track go for the Komodo....for a smaller tighter track go for the Hemi C2's. For the Komodo gear around a 6.8-7.0fdr and the C2 hemi around 6.2-6.5fdr both with 58.5mm tires....always use lap times for the proper gearing as temp does not always tell you correct(max) gearing. Some motors like to run hot and some seem to run cooler.
Team Sweepracing-R1 Wurks Team Canada
tandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:44 AM   #9
Tech Regular

the atlas red do seem to draw more amps and give a very good bottom end without compromising top end rpm as for comparing to a kd on the track they are not much diffrent but you have a little piece of mind as the kd are renouned for blowing up (epic quality).
stuey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:21 AM   #10
Tech Adept

My blue atlas that I bought 2 years ago is by far the fastest 19t I have ever owned/tested. Ran like this since the day I bout it
Old 12-28-2007, 12:23 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tandman View Post
Thanks Dwayne. I am going to give the T-bang torque-based Hemi and the Atlas red can a try at our next club race and see what I like. I have been racing an Atlas blue can thus far this year and have been very happy with it. If only I didn't have to chose between running just 1/12 scale or TC on club nights! I think I will gear the T-bang the same as the blue can and drop two teeth for the red can.
Thanks,
Kane