R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-25-2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Hissing IB4200, which of the lot is the culprit?

i was charging my pack at 5.5amp not too long ago while i was rebuilding my car, all of a sudden, i heard a hissing sound (hiss... hiss), i turned the charger off right away, unplugged the batteries, and toss it under my bed and ran for cover (ran out of my room)
i do know the problems that comes with the IB4200. Honestly, i've never heard any batteries hiss before, . can someone describe the sound alittle bit more in details to me (does it hiss and pause and hiss like a pulse or does it just hisssssssss...?)? because my brother was in the same room as me and he was playing his game (natural selection - HL mod), and one of the charecter makes a hiss sound as well, and i can remember that the pattern of the hiss sound i heard is pretty much similar to that of the hiss made by the charecter in the game.
is there a way to identify the cell if it was actually hissing? no signs of leaking at all.
dont feel like throwing the whole pack away, what a waste
bigbutstupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Tech Master

That's pretty normal for IBs, both my 3800 and 4200 does that right before peaking. My other brands(EP, GP) does not do that all though. I just turn it off before it starts hissing a lot, and use it for 1st qualifiers. I'm sure though, it is a ticking time bomb.
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:20 AM   #3
Tech Adept

It was just one of the cells venting, completely normal.

Don't throw a pack under your bed, it's a good way to burn your house down. If your worried about a pack take it outside.
_pilot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Buy yourself a Metal cash box at Wal-Mart for nine bucks, grind a notch in the side so you can close the lid on the wires (maybe add a rubber grommett) lay batteries inside to charge. good for lipo safety too.
rtherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtherbe View Post
Buy yourself a Metal cash box at Wal-Mart for nine bucks, grind a notch in the side so you can close the lid on the wires (maybe add a rubber grommett) lay batteries inside to charge. good for lipo safety too.
or you can use an ammo box...