Community
Wiki Posts
Search

which car to get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2003, 05:38 PM
Tech Rookie

which car to get?

TRF 414 M II or associated factory team kit? which of these should i get?
Old 06-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Depends on your local LHS.
Check if they carry enough spare for your decision.

I would go for a 414M2.
But I'm a Tamiya fan.

You should decide to go for a shaft car or belt car.
Both have thier own Pros and Cons.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

If I were getting a new touring kit right now I would get the X-Ray T1R for sure ! They are having tramendous success at my track, there are many die hard TC3 fans at my track that are now racing the T1R. If I didn't go with the X-Ray than I would get the new shaft Yokomo. The only thing I've heard about the Yokomo that I don't like is how it is not very durable. But the Yokomo comes out of the box with probably less than half the friction in the rolling drive chain than a TC3 does. The X-Ray is a very durable car though, and it is also one of the easiest to adjust. I don't know if you are considering an Evo III or not, but I would not reccomend getting one. There are some people I know who drove them for a while, but had trouble getting through just one race night without having a drive chain problem. They eventually got so frusterated with the car that they took off all the electronics and bought the new Yokomo or the T1R.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:46 PM
Tech Rookie

what about the Xray t1 evo 2
Old 06-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Tech Rookie

which should i get? i'm new to R/C's so i don't know what to get, i went to a hobby shop and the guy there suggested that i get a RTR. he showed me two RTR's a Tamiya XB, and a HPI dash RTR. which should i get? i really don't know much about R/C but i'm hoping to know more from experience and well from this forum. help...
Old 06-10-2003, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

If you were going to choose an RTR to start with, I would suggest you go with TC3 RTR. At least it will be competitive if you decide to race it.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

Faceless,

I would recommend NOT getting an RTR. There is a lot to learn from putting a car together yourself, and a lot of fun too!
Old 06-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Tech Rookie

headbanger and
johnA

johnA,

i guess ur right about not getting an RTR, but i'm a newbie and it would take time for me to learn to build my own. well, but yeah i'll be considering building my own kit for sure...thanx anyway

headbanger,

so a TC3, um..i've checked it out and it costs more than the tamiya or the HPI RTR i saw at my LHS..is it really worth it?
thanx...
Old 06-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Tech Regular

faceless, are you going to bash it around your street or parking lot or do you plan on racing it in the near future? Do you have buddies with touring cars?

If you just want to bash around the street for now and later get into racing, I would suggest getting like a T3 stadium truck (kit or RTR). Cheaper than a TC3, but more durable and fun. Then get a touring car when your skills improve.

If you are still set on a touring car and you are limited to a budget, then maybe a HPI sprint is a better choice for you (for just bashing). I had an HPI pro2 and that thing could take a lot of abuse.

If you do plan to get serious and race, then the TC3 Racer kit is the better buy. It's competitive out of the box, but you need to build it, and get a radio, and an ESC. Another option is to go with the TC3 RTR and then upgrade to better parts as go, but it will be more expensive in the end.

Decisions, decisions.....
Old 06-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by niceCPS
what about the Xray t1 evo 2
I know a bunch of people who have the Evo 2 and the T1R and they all say that the T1R is much easier to drive and handles better, one of them is also a X-Ray factory driver. This is on a carpet track too, and composit usually always handles better on paved surfaces so I'm positive that the T1R will work very well on paved too. I know that the graphite plate chassis is tempting but don't you want to look better on the track than in the pits......
Old 06-11-2003, 12:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

im thinking of getting something different, what exotic cars have you guys seen? apart from the usual, losi tc3 xray mission rclab etc
Old 06-11-2003, 02:07 AM
Tech Addict

What about a Tamiya EVO3 Surikarn Edition?

I have the EVO3 normal one and I could not be more impressed with a car, and have had some good results with it recently.

I can't wait to get my hands on the new EVO.

Tony
Old 06-11-2003, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Besercoe
im thinking of getting something different, what exotic cars have you guys seen? apart from the usual, losi tc3 xray mission rclab etc
Yok SSG SD, kawada SV10 Sigma, Ova T4/L2, Alex Racing Design Barracuda R2, Corally Assassin.... just a few.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 06-11-2003 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Besercoe
Exotic cars are not necessarily good, unless you have a mainstream backup car you can use while waiting for parts to come in from mailorder.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:21 AM
Tech Rookie

I used to race off-road in the early 90s with my trusty old RC-10 Graphite and on-road with a Trinity Evolution-10 and later a Yokomo YRX-10. I have never tried AWD touring cars before, but this is where I'm looking to get back into the RC fold again.

I checked out the SpeedTechRC website and there are so many choices in the $250-300 range.

Tamiya TRF414MII
Tamiya Evolution III (this is not the Surikarn Edition, right?)
Yokomo MR-4TC SD
Associated Factory Team TC3
Alex Racing Barracuda R2
Schumacher SST Mission

and missing from the SpeedTechRC site:
Losi XXX-S Graphite Plus

In general, how do these cars compare? What are their strong points and weak points? I can probably count out the Alex Racing and Schumacher cars based on parts availability in my area...

I'm leaning toward the Yokomo MR-4TC SD because I was extremely satisfied with my YRX-10, but the Tamiya cars have me intrigued. They definitely *look* nice.

Last edited by kidsafe; 06-13-2003 at 12:27 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.