Wiki Posts
Search

What's the best Brushless setup for a TC5

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default What's the best Brushless setup for a TC5

I will atempt racing at SV raceway.
I am considering the Sphere t/c comp or the the Novak gtb and the Tekin RS.
I will be using brushless, senored motors only.
Any body tried any of these setups?
is there something else out there I should consider?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Come on nobody has any ideas?
Old 04-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Its a very loaded question.

Best thing to do is talk to the people at the local track. See what OTHER folks are running and get their honest opinions pro and con. Also, don't just look at the most expensive and presume its the best.

Talk to the track owner and see what the fast guys are using and which combo IS working if a combo IS practical. Getting the fastest isn't always the answer. Learn to drive and get consistant, THEN focus on the speed.

MOmo
Old 04-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MOmo
Its a very loaded question.

Best thing to do is talk to the people at the local track. See what OTHER folks are running and get their honest opinions pro and con. Also, don't just look at the most expensive and presume its the best.

Talk to the track owner and see what the fast guys are using and which combo IS working if a combo IS practical. Getting the fastest isn't always the answer. Learn to drive and get consistant, THEN focus on the speed.

MOmo
ditto
Old 04-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Tech Champion

That is the kind of question if you ask 10 different people you'll get 12 different answers...kinda like Ford vs Chevy, ect ect. They are all top quality ESCs but none are really better then the other. Any of them should do very well for you. The RS however is not yet released...personally I'm waiting on that one for 1/12th because of it's smaller size.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
That is the kind of question if you ask 10 different people you'll get 12 different answers...kinda like Ford vs Chevy, ect ect. They are all top quality ESCs but none are really better then the other. Any of them should do very well for you. The RS however is not yet released...personally I'm waiting on that one for 1/12th because of it's smaller size.
I only have experience with the Traxxas VXL Esc. I have had 5 of them break!
So that's why I'm asking here. The price does matter somewhat, but I really need it to work. I guess what I should ask is what the "Honda or Toyota" of Esc's?

Which company takes best care of there customers. Novak, LRP or Tekin?

Maybe thats the question.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the tc comp is easy to use, i got one in my tc5 with a novak motor, it also switches to brushed mode with no hands! so now you have a dual purpose ESC
Old 04-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Again, I think its loaded.

Everyone is going to have different experiences w/ the different mfg.

I would look at the warranty period for each mfg. Read through people's responses here, cause you can bet that people voice any negative experience w/ a particular mfg.

I don't have a brushless (waiting for my motor builders version) and MOST of the ESCs I have are Novak. The times I have dealt w/ them (Very few) have been positive. I've talked to local racers who had bad and good experiences w/ Novak. It just depends. It would be nice if everyone was treated equal (much like society) but the reality is that people, no matter how hard you try, they aren't happy, OR their expectations are unrealistic.

Again, i don't think one is better. i know BOTh users of LRP and Novak. They are both quality products.

MOmo
Old 04-25-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Just my $.02, I have been using both Novak and LRP in my off road stuff and have had no problems with either. I went back to a brushed 27T motor for racing TC and I am using the new Tekin FX, it is super small and easy to use and is fully customizable with the pc harness. Like others have said it all comes down to what you want and are looking for. When you get up in racing you start looking at other specs of ESC's like Internal resistance and what is the lowest turn motor you can run, and weight.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5basher
I will atempt racing at SV raceway.
I am considering the Sphere t/c comp or the the Novak gtb and the Tekin RS.
I will be using brushless, senored motors only.
Any body tried any of these setups?
is there something else out there I should consider?
Definately go with the LRP TC Spec. Its fast, trouble free setup, has excellent on road profiles, and its the Team Associated's ESC of choice. Do not put a purple ESC in that nice blue anodized TC.