R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #1306
Tech Master
 
dontfeelcold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Where there's smoke there's a tyre
Posts: 1,721
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

I found out what my problem was....too much weight over the front. A friend set it at 53% rear, 47% front and now it grips up really well and responds to setup changes as it should. I am going to experiment with different weight bias front to rear to see how this affects the car.

All this time, something so simple, I feel like an idiot :P

Thanks for your help, I can finally enjoy my racing again
dontfeelcold is offline  
Old 10-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #1307
Tech Elite
 
seaball's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 4,303
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball
Default

paul,

do you feel that winning races has made you into the champion that you are today?

- david dorsey
__________________
*** The Gate II - Home of Mike Wise ***
seaball is offline  
Old 11-02-2009, 06:33 PM   #1308
Tech Elite
 
Syber Serulean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Riverside
Posts: 3,656
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
Paul...

Have you ran the Nemesis 17.5 motors by any chance? How do they compare to the Duo2 motors? I was getting ready to put in an order for 3 Duo 17.5's but this press release for the Nemesis motors just came out and got me excited. Would you say my money is better spent on the Nemesis 17.5's?
bumping for my question in case it was missed
Syber Serulean is offline  
Old 11-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #1309
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 343
Default T3

Hi Paul.
Have you run your T3.
I have it in my hands and it looked good, on first look it are those little rafinements that make the top.
I like to here your story about the T3

Thanks and good luck
ED
eded1 is offline  
Old 11-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #1310
Tech Adept
 
ds400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 106
Default XII Xray

Hey Paul ,
canyou comment the new XII link you were racing? What the major improvement compared to the XII T bar?
ds400 is offline  
Old 11-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #1311
Tech Addict
 
MarkBrown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 712
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfeelcold View Post
I found out what my problem was....too much weight over the front. A friend set it at 53% rear, 47% front and now it grips up really well and responds to setup changes as it should. ...
It used to be that everybody ran more-or-less the same battery, so their cars balanced out about the same, and the ballast indications on the setup sheet were meaningful. Now with LiPo and some races running cars at 1425 grams there is a lot more variability. It would be nice for the setup sheet to indicate the grams of weight on the front tires and on the rear tires, or something like that.

Paul, can you tell us the grams of weight on the front tires and on the rear tires for the setup you ran at IIC? Is 53% rear weight typical, or is it on the high side? As the grip comes up would you tend to put more weight to the rear?
MarkBrown is online now  
Old 11-04-2009, 07:21 PM   #1312
Tech Master
 
cyanyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KL, MY.
Posts: 1,038
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfeelcold View Post
I found out what my problem was....too much weight over the front. A friend set it at 53% rear, 47% front and now it grips up really well and responds to setup changes as it should. I am going to experiment with different weight bias front to rear to see how this affects the car.

All this time, something so simple, I feel like an idiot :P

Thanks for your help, I can finally enjoy my racing again
Don't forget that when you turn, the wheel base on the loaded side gets a little longer. This brings the center line of the car slightly forward.
cyanyde is offline  
Old 11-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #1313
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,010
Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to King of B Main
Default High Bite

Hi Paul,

I've been running your high bite onroad national set-up and have been having some issues when the bite gets really high. The rear wheel wants to come up when I want to carry corner speed....

So just wondering what you would of changed on your set-up ?

Thanks Paul
King of B Main is offline  
Old 11-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #1314
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Woodinville, Washington
Posts: 75
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Setup Question

Hi, Paul.

My son and I used your IIC rubber tire carpet setup (5.5 motor) at a fairly large high bite carpet track (100' x 80') this past weekend. It worked extremely well and the car was dialed the whole weekend using Jaco blues.

For club racing, we race at a smaller carpet track with less traction. The car doesn't seem to perform as well using this setup...it doesn't have enough mechanical grip in the front or rear.

I'm wondering what changes you would make to your IIC setup to accommodate a smaller track with less traction. We would be using a 7.5 motor with Jaco blues.

Thanks,

Bob
bobthim is offline  
Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 AM   #1315
Tech Elite
 
Syber Serulean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Riverside
Posts: 3,656
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean
Default

hows everyone doing? Maybe we can just change this into a "ask each other" thread maybe? Might be a bit more effective


Paulllllll. If you're busy testing the Nemesis motors please tell ussssss
Syber Serulean is offline  
Old 11-10-2009, 06:34 AM   #1316
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: bella vista ar
Posts: 869
Send a message via AIM to ERTRACHTER
Default

guy's I think paul's been at at race in Houston Texas runnin gas
__________________
ASSOCIATED 12r5.1,REEDY MOTOR AND BATTERY, LRP SPEEDO,KIMBROUGH PRODUCTS,BIG DOG RACING,BELMONT R/C SPEEDSHOP, DENNIS LYMAN RACING, TEAM TOSO, TEAM FACTORY BITTER, SCHUUR SOLUTIONS, SIMMONS RACING, TEAM BOOZCRUZ
ERTRACHTER is offline  
Old 11-10-2009, 06:37 AM   #1317
Tech Elite
 
ToysRUsKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cinncinati, OH
Posts: 2,619
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTRACHTER View Post
guy's I think paul's been at at race in Houston Texas runnin gas
Is true, he's been there most of last week. Very busy season for him and the rest of Team XRay. I'm sure he'll respond when he returns.
__________________
Dorian Tisdale - Professional RC Driver Wannabe
ToysRUsKid is offline  
Old 11-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #1318
Gravity RC
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wi
Posts: 1,147
Default

Hi everyone, Im sorry, i have not been on here really atall for a few weeks, it started three weeks ago when i recieved the T3 and some 12th scale stuff to test, this took a very long time to build and test perfect. then i had a nitro race in houston that i returned from yesterday. This should be the longest post in Rc tech history, lol. Thanks


Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
Paul, what shock rebound % do you run on your foam tire car? Looking for a good starting point for this year. Didn't fool with it last year.
I use very little rebound with my foam car, maybe 20% at the most but many times i used almost 0%. i liked it less because i thought it made the car easier to drive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zake540 View Post
What's this Paul Lemieux Rc Driving school?!?! So where do I sign up!
Their is none but anyone who comes to trackside can work with me as much as they want. if im in town ill try and meet anyone down their, i just live a mile away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbboy View Post
Here you go Paulie....
$400.00 a day..
I bet you would have a huge waiting list for that.seriously.
Chase needs a new pair o shoes.
Dave.
Nice, lol im happy with a soda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
Paul...

Have you ran the Nemesis 17.5 motors by any chance? How do they compare to the Duo2 motors? I was getting ready to put in an order for 3 Duo 17.5's but this press release for the Nemesis motors just came out and got me excited. Would you say my money is better spent on the Nemesis 17.5's?
Hi, I have run several versions of the nemisis motor. me and jim stopped testing about a month ago and sent it into production, the day that we decided to do that was when we were both very happy with its performance. if the production motors are anything like the last prototype i ran it will be the motor to have for sure. I beleive that they are do in a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfeelcold View Post
I found out what my problem was....too much weight over the front. A friend set it at 53% rear, 47% front and now it grips up really well and responds to setup changes as it should. I am going to experiment with different weight bias front to rear to see how this affects the car.

All this time, something so simple, I feel like an idiot :P

Thanks for your help, I can finally enjoy my racing again
Im glad you figured it out!, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball View Post
paul,

do you feel that winning races has made you into the champion that you are today?

- david dorsey
LOL, we are all champions if you think about it. We all won the biggest race of our lives. to the Egg. lol



Quote:
Originally Posted by eded1 View Post
Hi Paul.
Have you run your T3.
I have it in my hands and it looked good, on first look it are those little rafinements that make the top.
I like to here your story about the T3

Thanks and good luck
ED
Hi ED, i wasnt involved a ton with the developement of the T3, the Hudys pretty much handled it themselves, I think. At first glance the car desent really look a ton different, this is because Xray has a style of manufacturing that is very noticible and everyone is very used to it. The car is quite a bit different.
I am excited about these improovements. I think that the long top deck is really nice, It even allows you to leave the whole motor mount and spur gear seperated, i think this offers the most even flex i have ever seen in a chassis. I like the new Knuckles which allows for a smaller turning radious, especially since we have the ECS shafts now and can get away with that even with a spool. I like the large pullys which are included. other changes are, rear arms, rear shock tower, new longer camber link options, I think aluminum turnbuckles, seperated suspension mounts from bulk head. and im sure their is more that im forgetting right now. the car is fast right now so i cant wait to get a couple of big races on it and see where it is then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds400 View Post
Hey Paul ,
canyou comment the new XII link you were racing? What the major improvement compared to the XII T bar?
Right now their is not a huge market for a Tbar car in the us and growingly around the world. it seems like the thrend for cingle cell is definately a link design. Xray sent me a link chassis and pod plates to test, I then built a link car with those peces and the rest peces from the XII. the car seemed good, im not the best 12th scale guy atall but i will be racing it at cleveland and im sure when its done it will be a better car than I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBrown View Post
It used to be that everybody ran more-or-less the same battery, so their cars balanced out about the same, and the ballast indications on the setup sheet were meaningful. Now with LiPo and some races running cars at 1425 grams there is a lot more variability. It would be nice for the setup sheet to indicate the grams of weight on the front tires and on the rear tires, or something like that.

Paul, can you tell us the grams of weight on the front tires and on the rear tires for the setup you ran at IIC? Is 53% rear weight typical, or is it on the high side? As the grip comes up would you tend to put more weight to the rear?
That would be a nice feature on the sheets but i dont think too many people would fill it in. I used to keep track of my weight percentages but i would always get too cought up in it. if my car needs to drive easier i now moove weight forward, if the car needs steering i moove weight back. that is how i do it. for me it is a tuening aid, and i never have a set weight that i start on because the rest of the set up determines that also. i would say that 52%R is prolly average for TC's.


Quote:
Originally Posted by King of B Main View Post
Hi Paul,

I've been running your high bite onroad national set-up and have been having some issues when the bite gets really high. The rear wheel wants to come up when I want to carry corner speed....

So just wondering what you would of changed on your set-up ?

Thanks Paul
Hi, i know i already talked to you but i will post it anyways. In this case i want to stop the front end from rolling so much without using a stiffer spring, bigger front bar, wider front pins, thicker front oil, higher front pins,. Rear, narrower rear end, thinner rear bar, longer rear cabmer link, lower rear pins.
those are the things that i would look at.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthim View Post
Hi, Paul.

My son and I used your IIC rubber tire carpet setup (5.5 motor) at a fairly large high bite carpet track (100' x 80') this past weekend. It worked extremely well and the car was dialed the whole weekend using Jaco blues.

For club racing, we race at a smaller carpet track with less traction. The car doesn't seem to perform as well using this setup...it doesn't have enough mechanical grip in the front or rear.

I'm wondering what changes you would make to your IIC setup to accommodate a smaller track with less traction. We would be using a 7.5 motor with Jaco blues.

Thanks,

Bob
Hi Bob, i dont usually change anything except toe and camber for lower bite, with jaco blues on low bite i will use less front camber to make the car more easy to drive. when i got home from vegas and raced at trackside (low bite) i put in 1/2deg of rear toe and reduced my front camber to -.75deg with 3deg of rear camber. that is all i have ever done and it works great for me. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
hows everyone doing? Maybe we can just change this into a "ask each other" thread maybe? Might be a bit more effective


Paulllllll. If you're busy testing the Nemesis motors please tell ussssss
Again, sorry.

Thanks Guys.

paul
Paul L is offline  
Old 11-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #1319
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,010
Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to King of B Main
Default

Wow !!! Thank you Paul for answering all are questions......As you can see you've been missed.

Hope to see you in a couple weeks at KoPropo race.
Lunch is on me. Thanks
King of B Main is offline  
Old 11-11-2009, 09:56 AM   #1320
Tech Elite
 
ToysRUsKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Cinncinati, OH
Posts: 2,619
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
LOL, we are all champions if you think about it. We all won the biggest race of our lives. to the Egg. lol
I might steal that line
__________________
Dorian Tisdale - Professional RC Driver Wannabe
ToysRUsKid is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom painted Paul LeMieux DNA 1 Sean R R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 4 02-12-2008 07:24 PM
pit table cyclone Electric On-Road 1 10-29-2006 07:01 PM
Paul Lemieux exint2 Electric On-Road 9 10-17-2006 07:19 PM
Mike Blackstock and Paul Lemieux sign with Xray ctmazzo Electric On-Road 79 01-02-2006 03:01 PM
Pit Table help Joneser Electric On-Road 11 09-01-2003 09:44 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:15 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net