R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #1246
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hi Paul,
Just wondering if you have ever come across a situation where setup changes dont have much of an effect on the cars handling and it just tends to understeer?

Lately my car has been like that, Everything is working properly, no bent or damaged parts, drivetrain is all smooth and free (diffs and driveshafts included), new tyres running on asphalt. Running a T2 008 with the starting rubber setup on it. I tried many changes to the car but none had a decent impact on the cars handling which is making it hard to get around the track quickly.

Thanks
Josh
Old 09-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #1247
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfeelcold View Post
Hi Paul,
Just wondering if you have ever come across a situation where setup changes dont have much of an effect on the cars handling and it just tends to understeer?

Lately my car has been like that, Everything is working properly, no bent or damaged parts, drivetrain is all smooth and free (diffs and driveshafts included), new tyres running on asphalt. Running a T2 008 with the starting rubber setup on it. I tried many changes to the car but none had a decent impact on the cars handling which is making it hard to get around the track quickly.

Thanks
Josh

I have definately been their. i dont think that i have ever had a car have too much steering for me on high grip asphalt.
I would moove some weight back in the car, lean the rear shocks all the way in, reduce your rear camber to .5deg and put your front camber at 2.5 for starters. these 4 changes should really help. i think the trick to asphalt is to get the car to carry corner speed, I have had good asphalt cars that push but are still fast.

try that stuff.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2009, 05:06 PM   #1248
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks for that, I will give it a try
Old 09-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #1249
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Paul, a question for you.

On your setups lately you seem to be using the number 1 spot on the rear shock tower, with that, if you felt that the setup wanted the shock to be angled just slightly more (more incline), is there another adjustment within the shock, (spring,piston, oil or other(maybe a bar)) that would duplicate that "feel" but allow you to stand the shock up to position 4 and the ability to work down again?

Thanks
Old 09-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #1250
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Paul Lemieux fans will like this interview we conducted by him at the Reedy Race for R/C Evil Empire. Paul took the time to give us some background on his r/c career and the future direction of touring car racing in the U.S. Thanks to Paul for taking the time!

http://rcevilempire.com/2009/09/excl...-paul-lemieux/
Old 10-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #1251
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfeelcold View Post
Thanks for that, I will give it a try
no problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Paul, a question for you.

On your setups lately you seem to be using the number 1 spot on the rear shock tower, with that, if you felt that the setup wanted the shock to be angled just slightly more (more incline), is there another adjustment within the shock, (spring,piston, oil or other(maybe a bar)) that would duplicate that "feel" but allow you to stand the shock up to position 4 and the ability to work down again?

Thanks
I know exactly what you are getting at but Honestly, no.
good question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1105 View Post
Paul Lemieux fans will like this interview we conducted by him at the Reedy Race for R/C Evil Empire. Paul took the time to give us some background on his r/c career and the future direction of touring car racing in the U.S. Thanks to Paul for taking the time!

http://rcevilempire.com/2009/09/excl...-paul-lemieux/
Thanks
Old 10-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #1252
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Paul, there's no place on the T2'008/009 setup sheet for specifying the size of holes in the shock pistons. So for instance the setup you published for the 2009 reedy race does not say which piston you used in the alu shocks, just that it was 3 holes.

Perhaps you always use the pistons with the 1.1mm holes? What's the conversion between alu shocks with 1.1mm holes and plastic shocks with the same number of holes in the non-clicker pistons? Does the alu shock need thicker oil than the plastic shock to feel the same?

Another question I have on this setup is about droop. You say "2.5mms of droop after ride height". Do you measure the downtravel at the point where the droop screws hit the chassis, or the point where the tires leave the setup board? The difference can be 1mm or more, which seems like a significant part of 2.5mm. Even a 0.5mm change in droop can be significant, yes?
Old 10-09-2009, 07:45 AM   #1253
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBrown View Post
Paul, there's no place on the T2'008/009 setup sheet for specifying the size of holes in the shock pistons. So for instance the setup you published for the 2009 reedy race does not say which piston you used in the alu shocks, just that it was 3 holes.

Perhaps you always use the pistons with the 1.1mm holes? What's the conversion between alu shocks with 1.1mm holes and plastic shocks with the same number of holes in the non-clicker pistons? Does the alu shock need thicker oil than the plastic shock to feel the same?

Another question I have on this setup is about droop. You say "2.5mms of droop after ride height". Do you measure the downtravel at the point where the droop screws hit the chassis, or the point where the tires leave the setup board? The difference can be 1mm or more, which seems like a significant part of 2.5mm. Even a 0.5mm change in droop can be significant, yes?

Hi Mark, all of my set-ups right now are for standard shock pistons, even in the aluminum shock.
The aluminum and plastics do set up a bit different but i forgot what was what, i will check at the track today and let you know.

Good question, but i dont have a good answer . i suppose that when i do it is closer to when the droop screws hit the chassis. droop is so critical that their really is no good way to measure it, because ones inturpitation of 5mms ride height is a bit different than a nother and especially the same when using the droop blocks.
on the rear (only) of our car a nother way to refrence 3mms of droop is to set the springs to where they cant moove up and down but they are also not preloaded (just touching both collars). this will be very close to 3mms of droop in the rear, then adjust side to side to where its equal (should be close). then you can match the feel to the front, The front springs will end up being a bit preloaded to get the same amount.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2009, 07:52 AM   #1254
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Hi Mark, all of my set-ups right now are for standard shock pistons, even in the aluminum shock.
The aluminum and plastics do set up a bit different but i forgot what was what, i will check at the track today and let you know.

Good question, but i dont have a good answer . i suppose that when i do it is closer to when the droop screws hit the chassis. droop is so critical that their really is no good way to measure it, because ones inturpitation of 5mms ride height is a bit different than a nother and especially the same when using the droop blocks.
on the rear (only) of our car a nother way to refrence 3mms of droop is to set the springs to where they cant moove up and down but they are also not preloaded (just touching both collars). this will be very close to 3mms of droop in the rear, then adjust side to side to where its equal (should be close). then you can match the feel to the front, The front springs will end up being a bit preloaded to get the same amount.

Thanks
Paul...that's assuming you built the shocks to what length? Meaning when you have the the shock fully built and the rod is extended out of the shock body, what should the total length of the whole shock be?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #1255
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Paul

I hope my explaination makes sense.. I'm not the best at explaining how my car reacts unless its really obvious... so here goes.

My '009 EU is setup up straight from the stock setup. It is fast and really turns well. I'm running 17.5 indoor carpet with rubber (jaco greens) on a low to medium traction surface. My only deviation from the setup is I back off the goop on the front tires from full to half on the inside. I've never had a car with a spool turn this well but it might be a tick loose on entry. Also as I exit the corners and back on the throttle it tends to want to keep turning. None of this is very bad but it keeps me from running consistently lap after lap. So I guess maybe I just need to "tame" it down a little. Any suggestions?

Also how much would the rear diff play into this? The setup says loose to medium for tightness... how do you know what loose to medium is?

Thanks... posted this on the '009 thread also.

Tamiya TRF417X (Lion's Automotive GTR)
Tamiya TRF416X
Tamiya F104W MP6/4 converted to F104X1 (Renault R30)
Old 10-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #1256
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by padailey View Post
Paul

I hope my explaination makes sense.. I'm not the best at explaining how my car reacts unless its really obvious... so here goes.

My '009 EU is setup up straight from the stock setup. It is fast and really turns well. I'm running 17.5 indoor carpet with rubber (jaco greens) on a low to medium traction surface. My only deviation from the setup is I back off the goop on the front tires from full to half on the inside. I've never had a car with a spool turn this well but it might be a tick loose on entry. Also as I exit the corners and back on the throttle it tends to want to keep turning. None of this is very bad but it keeps me from running consistently lap after lap. So I guess maybe I just need to "tame" it down a little. Any suggestions?

Also how much would the rear diff play into this? The setup says loose to medium for tightness... how do you know what loose to medium is?

Thanks... posted this on the '009 thread also.
I know I'm not Paul but I have done a lot of testing with exactly what you are asking. I solved the problem by putting a diff in the front, BUT I used losi brown grease in the front diff and run it very tight. Not locked but close, this got rid of the loose entry and tamed the corner out steering.
You'll also get more steering mid corner. I know everyone swears that a spool is the only way to go on rubber but give it a try you maybe surprised.

James
Old 10-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #1257
Tech Addict

Paul, do you have your T3? Can we see pics?
Old 10-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #1258
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXY923 View Post
Paul, do you have your T3? Can we see pics?
Answer to Question 1 - Maybe

Answer to Question 2 - NO!

Bryan
RC America
Old 10-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #1259
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Hi Paul!
USVTA National Points Member #101
Old 10-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #1260
Team EAM