R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:29 PM   #1156
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dorian, putting extra weight on an end of the car kills cornering traction at that end. It's caused the same phenomenon that all car handling theory is based on: adding more load to a tire doesn't add quite as much more traction. Using your example of the 40f/60r, the rear end has to provide 60% of the cornering force, but the rear tires only provide maybe 57% of the car's total traction. So, the rear tires will slide more, and eventually break loose first in a corner.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
Old 06-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #1157
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
Dorian, putting extra weight on an end of the car kills cornering traction at that end. It's caused the same phenomenon that all car handling theory is based on: adding more load to a tire doesn't add quite as much more traction. Using your example of the 40f/60r, the rear end has to provide 60% of the cornering force, but the rear tires only provide maybe 57% of the car's total traction. So, the rear tires will slide more, and eventually break loose first in a corner.
Didn't know that...thanks for clearing that up. I guess that corning force out weights the traction and you get a spin out.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #1158
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysRUsKid View Post
Paul, you completely me with that one. I always thought more weight in the rear would cause a push (less steering) because the rear is heavier producing more traction???

Also, about that NT1 setup from the Capital Classic, I noticed your camber rise was different from what Drew did. I tried to figure out exactly what camber rise does, but the setup book isn't helping. Can you explain? I'm slowly picking apart your setup, trying to understand why you did what you did.
Their are exceptions to the weight placement rule, but for the most part it is true.

(NT1) Ralph and I's set up was different, I had to use more camber rise shimms because i also used a lower inner rear pin (roll center) than ralph did, so to get the same amount of camber rise i had to run somewhere around 1mm more shimming under my rear camber link. normally more camber rise in the rear gives me more steering entering the corner but seems to give up forward bite on exit. in the end both of our cars were fast so i think that their are many set ups that will work as long as you are used to driving that type of set up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge View Post
thats a really good way to explain that.
This and what you said are not really related but i think that they are both true. If you have a 60% front heavy car, only 40% of the weight can transfer to the front tires. if you have a 40%front heavy car 60% of the weight could transfer foreward, that has the possibility of 1/3rd more weight transfer than the front heavy car. more transfer forward, more steering.
If both yours and mine were not true it would not work the same for foam and rubber, which it does so their are definate truth's to both.

Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 02:22 PM   #1159
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Paul, first I want to say thanks for coming out to Beat the Heat...watching you guys run was a treat. Also thanks again for the help with my car (the FK04 "99% sure" guy pitting next to Bates). My question is what are some basic setup changes you make for a rough/bumpy track? I had a hard time finding a balance between firm enough to keep the car from bottoming out and bouncing around, and soft enough to soak up the bumps. Thanks again!

-rocky b
Old 07-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #1160
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Paul, rumors are flying that you'll be in Tampa this weekend, can you confirm or deny these rumors?
Old 07-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #1161
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
Paul, rumors are flying that you'll be in Tampa this weekend, can you confirm or deny these rumors?
Im pretty sure Paul has another Xray Challenge race in Portland Or this coming weekend.

Good seeing ya this weekend Paul. Did the pit towel make it on the plane with ya?

EA
Old 07-22-2009, 02:47 AM   #1162
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

Porland OR it was! And what a Show he gave.......
Around The Table With Paul Lemieux(RC-America/Thunderpower)-xray-challenge-portland-2009-188.jpg
Searchin fer answers in the Fog.......that's what I found
Old 07-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #1163
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatspunout View Post
Paul, first I want to say thanks for coming out to Beat the Heat...watching you guys run was a treat. Also thanks again for the help with my car (the FK04 "99% sure" guy pitting next to Bates). My question is what are some basic setup changes you make for a rough/bumpy track? I had a hard time finding a balance between firm enough to keep the car from bottoming out and bouncing around, and soft enough to soak up the bumps. Thanks again!

-rocky b
Hi Rocky, no problem I had a good time their. I always struggle the same way that you are talking about with bumpy tracks. technicially i think that with a really bumpy track you are supposed to go to bigger hole pistons with thicker oil, even though the small hole/thinner oil may feel the same as the bigger hole thicker oil combo, it should soak up the bumps better. In the end I have never really been a shock guy atall so i dont know. an experienced off road racer could elaborate on shock pack for us im sure. I just make my car handle as well as possible then drive the bumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
sorry, wish i could have made it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillit View Post
Porland OR it was! And what a Show he gave.......
Attachment 479260

Thanks, I had a great time in portland. Made Tons of new friends!

EA: "Revenge is a dish, Best served COLD" !!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #1164
Tech Master

paul can you tell me how you dope (what compound, how long)/clean (with what) your jaco rubber tires on carpet. thx
Old 07-24-2009, 06:28 AM   #1165
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosko View Post
paul can you tell me how you dope (what compound, how long)/clean (with what) your jaco rubber tires on carpet. thx

Rosko, I'm fairly sure he uses buggy grip to clean and a very thin coat of tweak and lets it soak in as long as possible. After that, if the bite is good buggy grip only just to clean them between runs.

That may have changed, but until he confirms it, that's a good practice.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:45 AM   #1166
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Quote:
cst 300 if he is in the mood to crush a mans spirit
Old 07-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #1167
Gravity RC

Quote:
For jacos on high bite carpet i clean with motor spray and sauce with jack the gripper for as long as possible. normally jack is the spec sauce, so we have to use it, but if you have the choice also try CS yellow high grip if you can find some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogRacing View Post
Rosko, I'm fairly sure he uses buggy grip to clean and a very thin coat of tweak and lets it soak in as long as possible. After that, if the bite is good buggy grip only just to clean them between runs.

That may have changed, but until he confirms it, that's a good practice.
Hi. Yes, that is how i sauce for asphalt. from what i have found that dosent work too well on carpet. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein View Post
That too, LOL.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #1168
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hohnstein View Post
Thats on the tires right???
Old 07-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #1169
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

HEllo guys

what is a "CS yellow high grip "
Old 07-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #1170
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Opps, sorry Rosko- didn't realize tweak doesn't work on carpet.... duh.

Just trying to help.
Closed Thread