Old 06-12-2009, 08:55 AM   #1142
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
takes my breath away.
watching every motion in my foolish lover's game ...
Old 06-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #1143
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball View Post
watching every motion in my foolish lover's game ...
Through the hourglass I saw you, in time you slipped away

Badly influencing a new generation of racers!
Old 06-12-2009, 09:02 AM   #1144
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

When the mirror crashed I called you, and turned to hear you say
If only for today I am unafraid
Old 06-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #1145
Tech Adept

Hay Paul i have a question for you how did you get started in this? What did you do as far as racing goes. Did you do club races or did you just start out going to all these big races. Did anybody help you along the way. Well maybe someday i will race against you. Thanks paul for reading.

Thanks Schuyler.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #1146
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Oh good lord, what is this, the Berlin fan appreciation thread?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #1147
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by calrosse View Post
Hay Paul i have a question for you how did you get started in this? What did you do as far as racing goes. Did you do club races or did you just start out going to all these big races. Did anybody help you along the way. Well maybe someday i will race against you. Thanks paul for reading.

Thanks Schuyler.
Hi schuyler. i did recieve a Ton of help along the way. I started out racing F1 cars on oval then jumped in to touring car right when it started to get popular. I club raced 2 times a week at Trackside hobbies and practiced almost every day. Scotty Ernst helped me learn and he allowed me to travel with him to any race that i could go to. For the first few years my mom went literilly broke helping me get everything that i needed to keep racing, so i was Really Really lucky and thankfully it has paid off. After i started doing well Jim Dieter picked me up and tought me a lot also. their have been many other people who have helped me along the years also.

the big secret is to keep practicing and never get discouraged when taking a good beating on the track.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:12 AM   #1148
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid

Sounds like good advice, but I don't think you take many beatings anymore.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:19 PM   #1149
Tech Adept

Thanks Paul for replying to my message. Iknow you are busy i really do appreciate it alot thanks paul. There is no track here where i live do you have any pointers on how to get one going or do you know anybody that could help me with what i need and should use. If not thats ok. But you kicked butt at the snnowbird i watch the video on youtube. Whats mike borlyn like, and jeff maturo. Do you get nervous any more before you race, and what is it like to race in a big race like the snowbird? How much time would you say put into your racing a week. Like working on your cars getting them ready for a race and etc... Do you still practice every week or do you race every week. How often do you race in a month's time. Well anyway i will stop bugging ya so talk at ya later Paul.

Last edited by calrosse; 06-16-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #1150
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Paul, on the aluminum shocks I noticed they come with different piston's than the plastic ones. Which do you recommend that I use? Honestly, I haven't checked to see if the plastic ones will fit the aluminum shock bodies so maybe the answer is already in front me. Your thoughts on which ones to use if I have a choice?

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #1151
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Car Balance

From your experience with rubber tire racing what is the best front to rear weight balance percentages. From my investigations on the net of real on-road race cars I've found a 40/60 split is suggested.

Thanks for you help and look forward to meeting you at IIC this year.
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
Old 06-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #1152
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Hey Paul

Hey Paul,

Aside from a wreck (which Im sure you dont do much of) what front end parts do you replace regularly; meaning Steering parts, quicksaver, turnbuckles, balljoints, etc.

I guess what Im getting at is my steering seems to have alot of play in it and I was wondering if there were parts that you replaced after every race.

Thanks in advance.

** Team Xray - Team Novak - Proline - Sorex - KO Propo - Team Trinity **
Old 06-18-2009, 11:20 PM   #1153
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
From your experience with rubber tire racing what is the best front to rear weight balance percentages. From my investigations on the net of real on-road race cars I've found a 40/60 split is suggested.

I'd like to know that too. Also, my T2009 oversteers excessively on a fresh set of rubber tires. But after a minute or so of racing its fine. What do you think is the solution?

RC FB Pages Subscribed:
facebook.com/EPBuggy
facebook.com/AllStarChampionship

Last edited by cyanyde; 06-19-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #1154
Gravity RC

Quote:
Originally Posted by calrosse View Post
Thanks Paul for replying to my message. Iknow you are busy i really do appreciate it alot thanks paul. There is no track here where i live do you have any pointers on how to get one going or do you know anybody that could help me with what i need and should use. If not thats ok. But you kicked butt at the snnowbird i watch the video on youtube. Whats mike borlyn like, and jeff maturo. Do you get nervous any more before you race, and what is it like to race in a big race like the snowbird? How much time would you say put into your racing a week. Like working on your cars getting them ready for a race and etc... Do you still practice every week or do you race every week. How often do you race in a month's time. Well anyway i will stop bugging ya so talk at ya later Paul.
No problem. starting a track is hard unless you have a good amount of money and help. i would find a nice parking lot (asphalt/blacktop) and set up a track whenever you can, (stand on a milk crate) I dont know where to buy corner dotts but you should be able to search them out on line somewhere, try and get friends to come and race with you. This would be good for practice but it is important to get to a race track and race against others who have been racing much longer than you, This is the only way to get way better.

Mike and Jeff are really really nice guys, two of the best. I get nervous all the time while racing. Snowbirds is a great race and a huge challenge.

I am at the track quite a bit but i dont race every week anymore, for many years i did practice every day and raced twice a week. now i have 1 or 2 big races a month so i am normally getting ready and testing between big races.

hopefully ill see you at a race soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Paul, on the aluminum shocks I noticed they come with different piston's than the plastic ones. Which do you recommend that I use? Honestly, I haven't checked to see if the plastic ones will fit the aluminum shock bodies so maybe the answer is already in front me. Your thoughts on which ones to use if I have a choice?
Hi Craig. you can use either, I like the white pistons better, they have better edges and they should be more precise with no mold flashing's. the standard piston holes are 1mm and the white pistons are 1.1mms. but i would use the white ones. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post

Hi BK, i think that 60/40 is too much. for the scale speeds that the cars go i think with a percentage like that the car would be really hard to drive.
I used to measure the weight percentage's of all my cars but i found that it is just better to feel it on the track, if you need the car to be easier to drive and have better forward traction you should moove weight up front, if the car is pushy with no corner speed i will moove weight back in the car.
so more weight in front normally = more push
more rear weight normally = more steering

look forward to meeting you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluephi1914 View Post
Hey Paul,

Aside from a wreck (which Im sure you dont do much of) what front end parts do you replace regularly; meaning Steering parts, quicksaver, turnbuckles, balljoints, etc.

I guess what Im getting at is my steering seems to have alot of play in it and I was wondering if there were parts that you replaced after every race.

Thanks in advance.
Honestly i dont regularly replace any of that stuff, on my foam car all of that stuff is almost a year old. but if you think that it is bad i would replace the plastic ball cups. nothing else should wear out but look at everything carefully because their could be a fluke thing going on. if it bothers you a lot you could do the rubber band trick by putting a small rubber band or rubber hair tie on the two turnbuckles and the steering drag link, but i dont think that the car will drive much easier with less slop

sorry i couldnt be more help. thanks,paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyanyde View Post
I'd like to know that too. Also, my T2009 oversteers excessively on a fresh set of rubber tires. But after a minute or so of racing its fine. What do you think is the solution?
Whenever i get new rubber tires i clean them well with motorspray to get any release/oil off of the tire, you can carefully grind off the center ridge also with a dreamel or a tire sander. then i normally sauce for an extended amount of time, because with new tires it is almost impossible to have the sauce obsorb in to the rubber atall. On some tracks new tires are awesome and on others it takes a minute or two or more. at my local track Jaco blues dont work well atall untill the third battery then they are good for a long time. but with those i still go threw the same process when they are new.

hopefully this is different than what you are doing, maybe it will work.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #1155
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post

so more weight in front normally = more push
more rear weight normally = more steering
Paul, you completely me with that one. I always thought more weight in the rear would cause a push (less steering) because the rear is heavier producing more traction???

Also, about that NT1 setup from the Capital Classic, I noticed your camber rise was different from what Drew did. I tried to figure out exactly what camber rise does, but the setup book isn't helping. Can you explain? I'm slowly picking apart your setup, trying to understand why you did what you did.