R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TC4 FACTORY TEAM PROBLEM (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/196493-tc4-factory-team-problem.html)

Carpetracer92 12-19-2007 07:32 PM

TC4 FACTORY TEAM PROBLEM

Hi i have problem wit my tc4 ft the car the sterring is binding and i am not sure what to do to make it stop help me out.

Mitchell 12-20-2007 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Carpetracer92 (Post 3990094)
Hi i have problem wit my tc4 ft the car the sterring is binding and i am not sure what to do to make it stop help me out.

mate whats goin on with it how do u meen binding. i know mine is doin sumthing weird. it starts off with perfectly straight steering then it starts goin either way, i steer the other way to correct it and it starts swinging the other way;)

loopedout 12-20-2007 02:48 AM

mitchell, sounds like you may have a stripped out servo horn.

Mitchell 12-20-2007 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by loopedout (Post 3990904)
mitchell, sounds like you may have a stripped out servo horn.

may do ill check now

Mitchell 12-20-2007 03:06 AM

nah servo horn is fine

loopedout 12-20-2007 03:07 AM

what type of servo are you running?

Mitchell 12-20-2007 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by loopedout (Post 3990928)
what type of servo are you running?

futaba s9405

tc3team 12-20-2007 03:32 AM

Are all of your wheel/diff bearings good? A bad one will cause drag and possibly the car will steer to one side. Also make sure you havnt overtightened the wheel nuts, an easy mistake to bind up the hub bearings and cause drag on that corner.

Turn the steering slowly by hand and see if you can see anything rubbing or feel where abouts the problem area is coming from.

hth :)

Mitchell 12-20-2007 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by tc3team (Post 3990951)
Are all of your wheel/diff bearings good? A bad one will cause drag and possibly the car will steer to one side. Also make sure you havnt overtightened the wheel nuts, an easy mistake to bind up the hub bearings and cause drag on that corner.

Turn the steering slowly by hand and see if you can see anything rubbing or feel where abouts the problem area is coming from.

hth :)

on a couple of the bearings you can see the balls inside them because the case thing covering them has come off. is that bad?

loopedout 12-20-2007 04:02 AM

I'd change them but as long they are clean and spin freely they shouldnt cause a problem.

tc3team 12-20-2007 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mitchell (Post 3990964)
on a couple of the bearings you can see the balls inside them because the case thing covering them has come off. is that bad?

It can be, as without that your bearing is more exposed to dirt and premature failure. If you can, take the bearing out and turn the inner part by hand. If it feels like it has notches its shot.

tombowman12 12-20-2007 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Carpetracer92 (Post 3990094)

i had a similar problem. just take the whole steering assembly apart and check the every link and bearing to see if there is a binding issue with any of them.

if not, when putting the steering assembly back together, make sure you don't over tighten the bolts that hold the assembly to the chassis. if these are too tight, it will bind very badly

HTH

Mitchell 12-20-2007 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by loopedout (Post 3990990)
I'd change them but as long they are clean and spin freely they shouldnt cause a problem.

Originally Posted by tc3team (Post 3990995)
It can be, as without that your bearing is more exposed to dirt and premature failure. If you can, take the bearing out and turn the inner part by hand. If it feels like it has notches its shot.

thanks for the help ill check the bearings now

Mitchell 12-20-2007 04:20 AM

yeah they are all rotating alright

tc3team 12-20-2007 04:25 AM

I remember when I had my tc3 if you overtightend the two steering rack nuts it makes the steering "sticky" and bind up, but I think thr TC4FT might have a different setup on it?

A bearing has to be really bad on one corner though to cause the car to run off centre, loads of drag.

As a last measure, take the servo out the car and turn the wheels lock to lock and see if you can feel anything binding up, its the only true way of feeling what the car is doing when its steering.

Check the pins in the cvd's are not loose and rubbing on the hubs too- that could get real ugly....