Wiki Posts
Search

which cut-off and amperage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 05:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Arrow which cut-off and amperage?

i recently got an orion digital discharger. it has three FIXED settings, namely, 30amp discharge at 4.8 cut-off; 25 amp discharge at 5.1 cut-off and 20 amp discharge at 5.4 cut-off.

i read in nearly all the materials on the net that the cut-off should be at .90volts per cell or 5.4 volts accross 6 cells. However, i also read that a 30 amp discharge rate is batter on the cells.

help please, dont know what to do.

any info on the matter is highly appreciated
Old 06-09-2003, 10:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

0.9 V cut-off per cell should be alright.

I think Orion has calculated the discharge rate into the cut-off voltage. When you put a heavier load on the batteries the voltage would drop lower than a lighter load. So there should be no damage done when you discharge with 30A and 4.8V cut -off.

30A discharge is better than 20 A ???
Don't know, I think this is more personal related. Everybody threats their batteries on their own way. It has been said that you should discharge the same rate as you race. So for mods 30 -35 A should be about it. For Stock would be around the 20-25A range.

Just my thoughts...
Old 06-13-2003, 06:34 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

tanx 4 d input.

by the way, i've had a chance to test my bats after discharging them at 30amps and running stock. i noticed that my packs are now punchier, even my tamiya sticks(now converted to saddle packs)have become punchier.

also, i used to discharge at 10amps only using my pulsar and noticed that my batts were becoming less punchy, thats why i decided to get the orion discharger.

hope the trend continues. tanx