R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-28-2007, 06:01 AM   #286
Tech Adept

TC...I was surprised as well on the weight, I remembered they were close, but I didnt remember how close until I checked it. You're right about needing more time, I'm sure we'll learn more as I beat these things up. I'll pass along info as I get it. Do you see Spash around any UK tacks anymore ?
JtDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:19 AM   #287
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtDieter View Post
TC...I was surprised as well on the weight, I remembered they were close, but I didnt remember how close until I checked it. You're right about needing more time, I'm sure we'll learn more as I beat these things up. I'll pass along info as I get it. Do you see Spash around any UK tacks anymore ?
These days its easy to solder up with bars that are too heavy and people then accidently blame the cells, not good or nice Kinda easy to do though. Sounds like your onto a winner with the weight

I havnt seen Spash since 2001 or so for a Reedy sponsored race at Snetterton, (back in the days of owning a HPI Pro 2 when it was NEW!!! ) I still actually have some Sanyo 1700 EX TECH's kicking around... Remember them? Cars were actually near half way jumping up the rostrum if they clipped the apex curb wrong

MR was handing out the trophies, got a photo of that

Back to topic- I'm sure he does still visit the UK tracks, I just dont know where or when.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:01 AM   #288
Tech Adept

TC..Remember the sanyos well. Especially my 80 pound carry on going to the worlds in your country (98)...still sanyo, but a newer generation. I heard from David right before cleveland. He wished us well as he always does. David is a very special person, you know he will be a pal no matter what. He may get tired of being grown up and come back out to play eventually....hoping so anyway.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:30 AM   #289
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
....Apex, Not sure I should throw numbers around. Some matchers have different systems and settings. But on my machines, my race stuff is over 25 seconds better than any mfg. 42, at 35 amp discharge.
More run time was all I was expecting from the IB4600's especially since IB would have to take a step backwards to make the NIMH's safer. Seeing that they changed the cell to run cooler means some performance has been lost which shows in the IR results, but overall is probably a safer cell. The heat seems to have been the culprit with the NIMH's exploding. Glad to hear the IB4600's are running cooler. Hopefully IB is making some quality control improvements ensuring their NIMH's are safe for the racer since it doesn't seem there are any federal regulations in place.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:54 AM   #290
Tech Champion

Quote:
TC..Remember the sanyos well. Especially my 80 pound carry on going to the worlds in your country (98)...still sanyo, but a newer generation. I heard from David right before cleveland. He wished us well as he always does. David is a very special person, you know he will be a pal no matter what. He may get tired of being grown up and come back out to play eventually....hoping so anyway.
I know what you're saying, he had the time to help anyone out, a top guy and never appeared to get beat up about anything, he took it all in his stride Rather useful for the racing in A mains he's had in his career!

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:13 AM   #291
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Jim,
Not battery related but could you tell me what the differences are on the track for the different rotor sizes that are offered for the brushless motors? I see there are several sizes coming along. Are all of the motors that are being sold coming with a standard sized rotor or are there going to be application spacific motors that come with certin sizes. I'm looking mainly at Sedan and 12th scale modified classes.
Thanks
Mike
crisis641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #292
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

JD - think David has only done a couple of On Road meetings since Italy - gone Rally x racing!!! Thinking about it - i haven't personally seen him for some time, only the odd phone call or email.

Anyway, cells - i'm guessing the latest IB and EP fall foul of the latest EFRA regs on size?? Is this the case do you know, or are they ok?? From the story's i'm hearing so far it looks like only the EFRA edition of the Orion SHO, and maybe the Grepow look like being usable!
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:52 AM   #293
Tech Adept

Apex..No regs yet, but I can see it coming...Matt..EFRA seemed to want to backtrack on the 44mm rule like you say, down to 43mm. ROAR I believe is allowing some tol. If EFRA does not follow, I have IB samples that fit that rule...crisis..Bigger rotor, more efficient, not as fast top end but pulls a big gear. Example...I went from a 12.5 to a 13 in vegas with Paul and gained over a minute at 30 amps.(TC) But, we ended up gearing it 3 teeth higher and went nearly as fast. The bigger rotor is easy to throw in and make time. As far as 1/12th, I'm behind the curve a little since I havent had to do it. I think we had a shot at cleveland with dumas if the reciever didnt fall apart. It was a 4.5, 12.5, 22/100. 1.77 tire...pretty close. Paul ran 2nd with something similar geared a bit lower. It was way too safe and left alot in the pack...(my fault) This is at least....close
Old 12-29-2007, 09:02 AM   #294
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

Jim D,
Been a long time sir, hope all is golden. I still live in Quincy, Il. My name is Trevor Williams, my uncle is good friends with Roy. I was a young rugrat and offroad kid @ R&R hobby, Roy Weast's place, I remember the Titan in its r&d stages there.....hahahahaha..........I just happened to see your name and thought I would say hello. I still talk to Dominick Burton, although I am into off road nitro and he is into electric oval and off road we still see each other from time to time, Chico and Archie Burton are still around as well......hahahaha....good times back then.....Have a great new Year Jim

Best Regards,
Trevor Williams
pwnzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:00 AM   #295
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

Jim, yeah as i understand it, EFRA said last November that they intended to tighten up to the 43mm - then this November they confirmed it. So we still don't quite know where we are for cells for next year!! I think new submissions have to be in by Monday.
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:54 AM   #296
Tech Adept

Hi Trev !...I need to call Roy, havent spoke to him for awhile. Where are you guys running around Quincy ?..Matt, seems like this is being rushed through while new cells are being released. Worsley have friends at Orion ?? We need an EFRA scandal to liven things up...lol
Old 12-29-2007, 11:20 AM   #297
Tech Elite

Jim,
I just got back into the rc scene, I run 1/8 nitro buggy now. I got out after R&R closed simply because the scene was gone when Roys place was gone, and pretty much it still is. Last summer was my first year back at it, I only raced 2x, and I traveled over 100 miles to get to both. ScreamRC in Edwardsville and RjD Hobbies in Lincoln, Il. I however will be running at NoveltyRC raceways this summer for club racing, its like an hour outside of town near Edina, Mo. I was not aware of it last year, looks to be a super nice facility, ran by great people to boot. R&R was so great, I miss it a lot.......I wish Roy would do it again LOL.......the building is still there. Anyways, have a great day Jim, and I wish you and all at Team Trinity a wonderful New Year

take care sir,
Trevor Williams
Old 12-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #298
Tech Adept

Thanks Trev..I miss it too, The track was cool, Roy was fun to work for, and the hobby in general seemed more up beat. Last time I was in quincy they had some damn flower shop where the track was...blasphemy
Old 12-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #299
Tech Elite

oops!

Last edited by pwnzor; 12-29-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:15 PM   #300
Tech Elite

lmao......its still there I believe. Jim, If I ever venture back into the electric scene, I may come in and get your advice on what batts and motors to go for. I have tossed around the idea of getting something.. I am waaaay out of the loop in the electric scene, but I know I wont be using lipos or brushless hahahahaha.......see ya Jim, and take care

Last edited by pwnzor; 12-29-2007 at 12:25 PM.