R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-21-2007, 08:43 AM   #226
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Jim you have mail at the Trinity address...
jb7778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:02 AM   #227
Tech Rookie

if trinity wants to help the hobby, these should keep the costs of its products down. also, they need to help promote products that inspire kids to get into racing. the youth is the backbone of this hobby. it seems that in the last few years, for every 2 racers departing (deciding not to race anymore) there is only 1 new racer coming in... and most of them grow frustrated quickly when they try to race and get smoked by people who are following the current trends of the market: kits that get refreshed every six months, batteries that are dead on the 3rd run, and equipment costs that only allow the racers with rich parents to truely compete.
jdam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:21 AM   #228
Tech Adept

jdam..We couldnt agree more...about everything. Working on it. Any suggestions ? We are at the "kick ideas around" point. Let us know if you see a no lose idea or concept that everyone will get on board with. I plan on a big bullshit session at the birds, bring back a production or spec class that the manufacturers that care will support.
JtDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:41 AM   #229
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtDieter View Post
jdam..We couldnt agree more...about everything. Working on it. Any suggestions ? We are at the "kick ideas around" point. Let us know if you see a no lose idea or concept that everyone will get on board with. I plan on a big bullshit session at the birds, bring back a production or spec class that the manufacturers that care will support.
spec class would be a great idea... a few years back that class was huge at my track but since then has died out...
jdam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:50 AM   #230
Tech Adept

It went well for awhile. That was my project, so this isnt a new concept. I think if the original rules were followed, it would have stayed popular. Some tracks changed the gear rule so they could go faster, then batteries became an issue again, then...same problem. A spec class to me would be something you could buy close to complete, or a format using something that exists. A division you could get into for a cheap price, that nobody could walk in to a shop and beat you with their wallet. The original street spec rules were . One pack, one gear low enough where you could almost run twice on a charge, cheap tires...etc. the spec class may have had some faults here and there, but the intent was good.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #231
Tech Adept

Quote:
It went well for awhile. That was my project, so this isnt a new concept. I think if the original rules were followed, it would have stayed popular. Some tracks changed the gear rule so they could go faster, then batteries became an issue again, then...same problem. A spec class to me would be something you could buy close to complete, or a format using something that exists. A division you could get into for a cheap price, that nobody could walk in to a shop and beat you with their wallet. The original street spec rules were . One pack, one gear low enough where you could almost run twice on a charge, cheap tires...etc. the spec class may have had some faults here and there, but the intent was good.
Hey Jim,

I don't know if you have checked out the HB Underground Challenge thread, but that seems to be off to a strong start, in terms of a manufacturer-sponsored series with a spec class. I see the winning pieces in the formula as:

1. Buy a cheap-yet-somewhat-desirable kit (Cyclone S) and race it as it comes in the box. No hop-ups required or allowed.
2. Spec tires.
3. Handout battery pack (not sure if there's a charge for the pack, but I think these are pretty low mAh stick packs, so they wouldn't cost much).
4. Non-sponsored class with prize money.

Having tried out the T-Spec class myself, I think one of the problems was that the T-Spec kit itself failed the "cheap-yet-somewhat-desirable" test. No one liked the kits at all. They just weren't fun or cool to own. A kit like the Hot Bodies Cyclone S would be so much easier to get people into buying. Of course, as many have stated, Trinity dropped the ball with support (parts and otherwise), and they also never followed up with the original T-Spec magazine advertising which described a series of T-Spec points racing for cash prizes. Instead, they held a single "pro legends" race at the 2005 (I think) Indoor Champs and awarded $1000 to the winner (Ralph Burch?). People I know who watched that race in person came away thinking T-Spec racing was stupider than ever, because it was so slow, the cars looked like crap, etc. I never understood why Trinity doesn't have an on-site track (e.g. Tamiya's [now defunct?] track) or at least a really nice-looking portable track (banners, curbing, etc.) that can be set up in a parking lot somewhere. To me, Hot Bodies has marketed their spec series as cool and desirable (not like the lepper colony that was the T-Spec series - ). I guess that's enough wasted ones and zeros. When are the Revtech BL motors coming out?

Andy
adavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:05 PM   #232
Tech Adept

I didnt have anything to do with that one(t-spec)...lol. that happened right when I left. Good concept, car needed help, to be nice. I didnt see the hpi thing, I'll check it out. I'll have to say that I really like the pony car bodies they did, I saw some at Trackside, and I see people are racing those more. Makes me want to build a car to put one on. Revtech...we may need to revive all the retro companies, already working on x-tech.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:08 PM   #233
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ToddFalkowski

Quote:
Revtech...we may need to revive all the retro companies, already working on x-tech.
That's a name I'd like to see back in the industry...

All the spec stuff is great, we ALL have to keep it that way, however, and keep the local hot shoes out of it. We have our 12th scale novice class which is gaining in popularity, as well as the Mini-Sliders on the oval. In my opinion, if we can leave well enough alone, and get everyone aboard, we just might succeed. Starting to see a lot of the Mini-Cooper's out there as well- think Maximus in Maine does well with those...
ToddFalkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #234
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Larsen View Post
I've raced Trinity motors for quite some years and loved them, but I'm a little worried when one company gets the monopoly on such a vital thing as batteries.

Trinity, here's a word of advice; dont skyrock the prices on IB4600 all of a sudden. People will know why quicker than a lightning flashes...
There should be absolutely no price increase for the IB4600 cell as IB has decreased the price on the IB4200 and slotted the IB4600 in at the old 4200 price.

To be honest , the new IB4600 will just be a rejigged IB4200. The 4200 used to charge to 4600 mah anyhow. As long as the reliability is there I will be happy. The IB4600 tag ... well it gets rid of the old nasty name of the IB4200 ... good marketing
Old 12-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #235
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jan Larsen

It is good marketing...if what you say is true. And there's only one way to test that out.

But if the future packs I buy only accepts around 4500-4600 mah, show the same voltage and IR like the 4200, they'll get the packs thrown back in their face at once. Rebadged 4200 then. I expect it to land in the area of 5000mah.

The matched 4500/4600 Grepows I'm seen at the local track typically end around the 5000 mark, but perform like s h i t.

The only reason I'll buy them is because I'll be certain to make runtime...maybe even with a 3,5. It's too close at it's current form, even with a 4,5 (5 cell running).
Jan Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #236
Tech Regular

the snowbirds will need hand out brushless motors next year as will alot of other big races...

we need the speedworks line of brushless motors and oval needs a few speedworks races brought back from the old whip days.

invitational and non invite classes ....
MOTHER FOCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #237
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i have always been a fan of the "spec type" racing to get some new blood involved

how about:
-any TC kit they want (so when they are ready to move on they dont have to buy a new kit)
-any battery for the same reason above, spec batts are hard to find, stock runs out etc
-any stock 27t motor
-SPEC GEAR RATIO something that is good for that track that is determined by the RD/local(s) fast guys
-if you run that class you cant run anything else to keep the fast guys out of it

maybe the top three guys can move up at the end of the season and if anyone is kickin ass and close to the pace of the reg. 27t class they move up

just my .2 cents
Chris08527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:11 PM   #238
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

Jim YGPM
Old 12-21-2007, 07:21 PM   #239
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Hand out foam tires at the National level events They do it for rubber tire racing.

You get "x" number of sets with your entry and you are allowed to purchase "x" additional sets. Predetermined compounds and tires come in sets of 4. Problem would be with chunking, but it would be the same for everyone.

Go old school. Everybody gets 4 sets of purple's and plaid's.
RBLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:50 PM   #240
Tech Adept

RB..Jack talked about handout purple foam awhile back, not sure what they decided on it...Handout brushless...maybe.. Relabel 42 to 46 ??? Racers are way too smart for that, and the major companies arent that stupid.