R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #286
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post
Must be that some people just don't think chassis balance matters?
I can drop a grand total of 28 grams off of my weight legal car and still maintain left/right balance. I have not seen a disadvantage to running 10.5/lipo versus 19t/NiMh on rubber. The brushless motors and speed controls weigh quite abit more and are going to require that weight be added to compensate on the oppposite side.

I guess Fred and I are the only two that think weight balance matters.

PS The other nice side effect to adding the weight back into the car with lipo is that I can place all the weight super low in the chassis.
mkdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:49 AM   #287
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdut View Post
I can drop a grand total of 28 grams off of my weight legal car and still maintain left/right balance. I have not seen a disadvantage to running 10.5/lipo versus 19t/NiMh on rubber. The brushless motors and speed controls weigh quite abit more and are going to require that weight be added to compensate on the oppposite side.

PS The other nice side effect to adding the weight back into the car with lipo is that I can place all the weight super low in the chassis.
Damn Mike, you figured it out!

Old 12-26-2007, 12:52 PM   #288
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:

Thats your car, should we drop the weight to 28 grams specific to a certain chasis? Whats to stop losi and TM e4 owners from requestiing for more drop in weight to take advantage of thier design??????

Its easier to get balance with the current weight limit by adding weights...
I'm in agreement that the weight will need to be adjusted later on but not right now especially when Lipo is not even legal let alone trying to adjust weight rules....
Old 12-26-2007, 01:55 PM   #289
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
Thats your car, should we drop the weight to 28 grams specific to a certain chasis? Whats to stop losi and TM e4 owners from requestiing for more drop in weight to take advantage of thier design??????

I'm in agreement that the weight will need to be adjusted later on but not right now especially when Lipo is not even legal let alone trying to adjust weight rules....
Your right!
we run in a north west indoor series, 5 tracs and have an Outlaw sedan class where you can use 19t or 10.5 BL and nimh or lipo batts all on rubber tires and roar 1525g min weight limit.
It's turned into a big class, 20+ cars with great close racing.
The other classes run roar rules, motors and batts. 1/12th has over 25 entries also.
Fred
Old 12-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #290
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackpower View Post

strange its coming from that french basterd,who speaks french like jamicans speak english,but he have a point there
That's what I always love...people who write and spell like this criticizing the language skills of others...

Makes one wonder.

Why do we race Sub-C cells...because they're what the rules call for, nationally and internationally with a growing number of exceptions for club series and one-off events.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:14 PM   #291
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

bxpitbull, is that you?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:22 PM   #292
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post

I don'y neccessarily agree that the weight will need to be adjusted later. The only reason that it is an issue now is that we are in a transitional period where at least for the first couple of minutes NiMh has an advantage(in stock classes). If everyone is running brushless lipo in the future then the playing field is equalled out again as far as motor/battery performance goes.

In our outlaw sedan class just about noone is running 19t and there is a good mix of lipo and NiMh with neither seeing an advantage.
Old 12-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #293
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm not running them anymore. If I attend a race where they're still required, I'll buy two packs from a reputable small matcher that doesn't get cells from Trinity and toss or sell them after the event. Thankfully, lots of clubs are allowing LiPo now. It's getting to the point now where if a club doesn't allow them, people whisper about them being behind the times. *shrug* Run whatever you guys want, just enjoy it and don't hate on your fellow racers if they'd like to do something different, or if they're not ready to change.

There's too much negativity in R/C right now. We could all help improve things by being pleasant, tolerant, and a little more friendly. And yes, I'm trying to follow my own advice. :-)
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:35 PM   #294
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
In our outlaw sedan class just about noone is running 19t and there is a good mix of lipo and NiMh with neither seeing an advantage.
Hey Mike...
How much difference at the race end would you say NiMh gives up to LiPo? 1-2 maybey even 3 tenths? Reason I ask...I'm still trying to decide to buy 2 more NiMh's to keep me set 6+ months...or make the switch. I do see my times raise a few tenths in the later laps, but I still dont know if it's more me, or possibly the cells. I cant visibly see a "real" loss of power myself. Decisions...decisions....
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #295
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
Hey Mike...
How much difference at the race end would you say NiMh gives up to LiPo? 1-2 maybey even 3 tenths? Reason I ask...I'm still trying to decide to buy 2 more NiMh's to keep me set 6+ months...or make the switch. I do see my times raise a few tenths in the later laps, but I still dont know if it's more me, or possibly the cells. I cant visibly see a "real" loss of power myself. Decisions...decisions....
Make the switch. I don't see alot of difference on a 5 minute race but running 13.5 for 8 minutes i do see a loss especially when my packs have gotten older.(I had a couple of 6 month old packs that could not make the 8 minutes. Hurray for IB)

The biggest issue with the lipo as mentioned earlier is getting getting everything balanced out again. Take a look at my car the next time I am at the track and I will show you where I hid 200 grams of weight.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:21 PM   #296
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Make the switch. I don't see alot of difference on a 5 minute race but running 13.5 for 8 minutes i do see a loss especially when my packs have gotten older.(I had a couple of 6 month old packs that could not make the 8 minutes. Hurray for IB)

The biggest issue with the lipo as mentioned earlier is getting getting everything balanced out again. Take a look at my car the next time I am at the track and I will show you where I hid 200 grams of weight.
Dang...now I heard it from one of SIR's best I better listen.
I have just one IB left and 5 good packs of EP's and I really like them. Guess I'll run them a while longer, observe, and not buy more NiMhs. I have a 1 piece Lipo adapter figured out that will weight my TC5 painlessly. I'll be there tonight and check out what you've done to remedy the weight issue (if your going).
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 04:32 PM   #297
Tech Champion

Quote:
I usually take my senior nap at "noone" but Tom and I still run brushed!
Old 12-26-2007, 05:46 PM   #298
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
That's what I always love...people who write and spell like this criticizing the language skills of others...

Makes one wonder.

Why do we race Sub-C cells...because they're what the rules call for, nationally and internationally with a growing number of exceptions for club series and one-off events.
i was gonna skip replying to this but damn its too funny to skip
MR Scottrik,
i am french not american,i was joking with my 1/2 french friend,the slayer,so take a chill pill and go talk to phill he will fix u up.
i bet u,u proud of ur answer to the question,hey u sum it all in one sentence.
lol,we all know what the rules are,the question was not meant like that!!
to get that kind of answer,it was meant for the whole hobby as generall,and to roar and the other organizations leaders in spesific.
u know its somthing to chat about when u have some time on ur hand.
if that was some one else i would have said its lack of intillegence or being shallow,but coming from u i cant say that.
in another thread some one asked"how do i calculate roll out?".and u gave him 3/4 of a page scientific answer.so do the same here
please dont mind my spelling,i am doing the best i can.i am a frensh basterd
trackpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:53 PM   #299
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default now it makes sense

I knew something was off, no american racer can be this rude and arrogant. So, trackpower, are there any french r/c cars, or would they spend all day in the shop with shock oil leaks and smoking motors?

Good to see this thread has become somewhat civilized and nice, and I am glad to see that many nimh racers are recommending lipo's to others.

So, I have a follow up question. If you were talking to a newbie, what battery would you recommend to them? ---> and if it is a LIPO, what is stopping you from switching?
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 05:56 PM   #300
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
I knew something was off, no american racer can be this rude and arrogant. So, trackpower, are there any french r/c cars, or would they spend all day in the shop with shock oil leaks and smoking motors?

Good to see this thread has become somewhat civilized and nice, and I am glad to see that many nimh racers are recommending lipo's to others.

So, I have a follow up question. If you were talking to a newbie, what battery would you recommend to them? ---> and if it is a LIPO, what is stopping you from switching?
TC or 1/12 c cells

offroad lipos

wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote