R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #166
Tech Champion
 
C_O_jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wa.
Posts: 9,055
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
You guys know that trinity has hard case lipo out already right? If you guys like running Lipo great I'm getting some also since my club is allowing it as long as our cars make the legal min weight limit.... I just don't get all the bashing... I'll be running lipo for club racing and practice and NIMH for non club races since I feel that NIMH still has a noticable performance advantage in 19 turn class....
I agree with you Francis, I just went the same route last week, and on first impression, I'm disapointed, just no punch, not worth the $140 for an Orion 4800
Takes way to long to charge to use just one pack for 3 quals and a main for a club race. Way to long between practice runs and with the major instal change on my 007, balance and all that, it's just not worth the expense.
And I do run brushed, might be better with BL, but that takes no talent to run.
__________________
Bacon is Meat Candy
C_O_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:41 PM   #167
Tech Champion
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,524
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackpower View Post
i hear u
if money is not an object,a newbie can buy anthing he wants,but for the majority,how do u justify this to ur parents,think about it.hobby shops will tell the newbie who wants to race,most of the time he is the catch of the day,to be competitive u need the following:
new hiteck chassis.....$430
competitive speedo....$160
competitive servo......$100
1 stock motor...........$35
competitive radio.......$275
4 matched packs........$260
average good charger..$150
discharge tray...........$100
motor comm lathe......$150
2 sets of tire............$60
body.......................$20
transponder.............$100
parts,hopups.paint,etc$60

total.....................$1900
take this list to ur parents and good luck,i know had i gave them this list,i would have never seen a race track in my life.so i started with an rtr for $300
2 stick packs $40,and a cheap good charger$80,tires $60.and i started racing

that is one way to go, another would be to by a all in one complete ready to race kit, i know the local road track has one for i think around 400.00
the new kid doesn't need a transponder, motor lathe, 160 dollar speedo, 100 dollar servo, etc, etc.

in fact the newbie should be looking for guys like me getting into lipo, i just sold a kid, a comp 2 charger, ko radio, and 3 4200, for 225. in my area there are like 3 comp 2 chargers on the for sale thread for 60-75 bucks.

but i do know what you were saying, i just thought it was a little over the top for a newbie.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #168
Tech Champion
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,524
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post
I agree with you Francis, I just went the same route last week, and on first impression, I'm disapointed, just no punch, not worth the $140 for an Orion 4800
Takes way to long to charge to use just one pack for 3 quals and a main for a club race. Way to long between practice runs and with the major instal change on my 007, balance and all that, it's just not worth the expense.
And I do run brushed, might be better with BL, but that takes no talent to run.
come on fred join the no talent club... timezone 5 cells and 10.5 3rd in the a main with a car that i couldn't make go fast or it would flip, and once i got the flipping under control at rc plus, 2nd in the 3 a main with fast lap of 9.7. and thats without ever taking the motor out between the two races.

and before buying a 140.00 dollar 4800, you should have asked i couldv'e told you about a core 5000 that rocks.

all last year i said, i will go to lipo when i finally get beat by one (that was in the 13.5 class.) i never did get beat but after watching jaybees core perform i got one and am very very happy with it.

help me, help you. see you wednesday. btw, WW said hi.

bring the sedan wednesday or friday, i will put the core in it for you.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:04 PM   #169
Tech Elite
 
Francis M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 4,719
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post
I agree with you Francis, I just went the same route last week, and on first impression, I'm disapointed, just no punch, not worth the $140 for an Orion 4800
Takes way to long to charge to use just one pack for 3 quals and a main for a club race. Way to long between practice runs and with the major instal change on my 007, balance and all that, it's just not worth the expense.
And I do run brushed, might be better with BL, but that takes no talent to run.

I actually already run brushless, LRP TC with a novak 10.5... Thats great and I actually think lipo is a good thing and is convenient. I like the fact that you can just put it back on the charger after a run and should be good enough for club racing and practice but thats it for now. I'm sure it will get better in the near future but it isn't comparable to a good nimh for spec racing. All these new things put the emphasis back to track time and having fun racing and i'm sure it will help bring a lot of racers back.

Now regarding that list to start racing... Good luck getting a newbie to invest $1700.00 worth of stuff on something they are just starting out with.

How about recomending something like a ta05 for $149.00, Midlevel radio for $130, $70-$100 for a servo, $80.00 for orion lipo, and a charger, $100 for body,tire, and misc. items... even this list is pushing it but is more realistic. let them invest more in the future if they decide that racing is for them as a long term hobby.....
__________________
TQ-racing Yokomo BD7 Airtronics
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #170
Tech Champion
 
C_O_jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wa.
Posts: 9,055
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
come on fred join the no talent club... timezone 5 cells and 10.5 3rd in the a main with a car that i couldn't make go fast or it would flip, and once i got the flipping under control at rc plus, 2nd in the 3 a main with fast lap of 9.7. and thats without ever taking the motor out between the two races.

and before buying a 140.00 dollar 4800, you should have asked i couldv'e told you about a core 5000 that rocks.

all last year i said, i will go to lipo when i finally get beat by one (that was in the 13.5 class.) i never did get beat but after watching jaybees core perform i got one and am very very happy with it.

help me, help you. see you wednesday. btw, WW said hi.

bring the sedan wednesday or friday, i will put the core in it for you.
I got the Orion cause it is TCS legal and being a lipo it should still be good in March?
The only 10.5 car to pass me on the strait is JayBee's, but then what is that 9.5 sticker on his motor?
Not much fun running my rubber car against all the foam cars at SIR, so will run 1/12th again.
__________________
Bacon is Meat Candy
C_O_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:11 PM   #171
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post
I agree with you Francis, I just went the same route last week, and on first impression, I'm disapointed, just no punch, not worth the $140 for an Orion 4800
Takes way to long to charge to use just one pack for 3 quals and a main for a club race. Way to long between practice runs and with the major instal change on my 007, balance and all that, it's just not worth the expense.
And I do run brushed, might be better with BL, but that takes no talent to run.
hi,co jones
i usually try to post my opinions on a topic,and no personal comments,but in ur case i ll make an exception.
you are lame,and i dont think u telling the truth MR.
u have 2600 posts,that mean u are not new to the forums and very well aware about whats going on and what are the hot products and whats not,
so i know that u know that orion 4800 is like first generation rc lipo introduced more than 3 years ago,and lacked punch and voltage compared to the current ones
after that orion came out with the 3200 which had more punch and voltage.and it costs $79
now they came up with the 3600 which even have more punch and voltage then both.
i know that u know that core 5000,trackpower4900,and all the others have more punch and voltage then the old orion 4800
so just last week u went out to buy out of all the new packs on the market an orion 4800 .and not only that ,u paid $140 .u know very well they sell for much less then that.
so who are u trying to fool mr?
trackpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:24 PM   #172
Tech Champion
 
C_O_jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wa.
Posts: 9,055
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackpower View Post
hi,co jones
i usually try to post my opinions on a topic,and no personal comments,but in ur case i ll make an exception.
you are lame,and i dont think u telling the truth MR.
u have 2600 posts,that mean u are not new to the forums and very well aware about whats going on and what are the hot products and whats not,
so i know that u know that orion 4800 is like first generation rc lipo introduced more than 3 years ago,and lacked punch and voltage compared to the current ones
after that orion came out with the 3200 which had more punch and voltage.and it costs $79
now they came up with the 3600 which even have more punch and voltage then both.
i know that u know that core 5000,trackpower4900,and all the others have more punch and voltage then the old orion 4800
so just last week u went out to buy out of all the new packs on the market an orion 4800 .and not only that ,u paid $140 .u know very well they sell for much less then that.
so who are u trying to fool mr?
About all I can read on lipo is a bunch of screamers crapping on every thread.
I got it to also use for another race series which only allows Orion lipos.
So you can just kiss my a..!
__________________
Bacon is Meat Candy
C_O_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #173
Tech Elite
 
Francis M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 4,719
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackpower View Post
hi,co jones
i usually try to post my opinions on a topic,and no personal comments,but in ur case i ll make an exception.
you are lame,and i dont think u telling the truth MR.
u have 2600 posts,that mean u are not new to the forums and very well aware about whats going on and what are the hot products and whats not,
so i know that u know that orion 4800 is like first generation rc lipo introduced more than 3 years ago,and lacked punch and voltage compared to the current ones
after that orion came out with the 3200 which had more punch and voltage.and it costs $79
now they came up with the 3600 which even have more punch and voltage then both.
i know that u know that core 5000,trackpower4900,and all the others have more punch and voltage then the old orion 4800
so just last week u went out to buy out of all the new packs on the market an orion 4800 .and not only that ,u paid $140 .u know very well they sell for much less then that.
so who are u trying to fool mr?


the orion 4800 is $130 plus tax. Orion is universally accepted at most tracks and that might be a good reason for buying it. Not everybody has this anti lipo agenda. Ease up...lol CO also posted he got the orion because it is tcs legal...
__________________
TQ-racing Yokomo BD7 Airtronics
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:36 PM   #174
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,813
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post
I got the Orion cause it is TCS legal and being a lipo it should still be good in March?
The only 10.5 car to pass me on the strait is JayBee's, but then what is that 9.5 sticker on his motor?
Not much fun running my rubber car against all the foam cars at SIR, so will run 1/12th again.
That 9.5 sticker 'was' Speed Passions version of the 19t equivalent. But I think after some wordplay from Schuie's Shawn Palmer, the 10.5 has been made and is on it's way to the States. I'll pass you then too buddy For now though I'll let you pass me on the straights, then I'll eat you up in the corners. How's that!? LOL
Luv ya Fred
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:42 PM   #175
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 89
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
the orion 4800 is $130 plus tax. Orion is universally accepted at most tracks and that might be a good reason for buying it. Not everybody has this anti lipo agenda. Ease up...lol CO also posted he got the orion because it is tcs legal...
ur boyfriend can answer for himself
trackpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:42 PM   #176
Tech Champion
 
C_O_jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Wa.
Posts: 9,055
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
That 9.5 sticker 'was' Speed Passions version of the 19t equivalent. But I think after some wordplay from Schuie's Shawn Palmer, the 10.5 has been made and is on it's way to the States. I'll pass you then too buddy For now though I'll let you pass me on the straights, then I'll eat you up in the corners. How's that!? LOL
Luv ya Fred
Peter noticed the sticker, I wanna see ya eat him up in the corners,
I will just pass ya when your cars busted on the pipe
__________________
Bacon is Meat Candy
C_O_jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #177
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,813
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones View Post
Peter noticed the sticker, I wanna see ya eat him up in the corners,
I will just pass ya when your cars busted on the pipe
Did he also see the /19t next to it?
Peter's a multi-national champ & Reedy race winner... what's your point there? YOU made the comments, not him; so I'm gunnin' for you! See ya Wednesday buddy I'll even throw my Novak 10.5 in........maybe
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:59 PM   #178
Tech Champion
 
JayBee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: 12TH-MAN COUNTRY
Posts: 6,813
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Sorry to hijack the thread...blame Fred Now back to your regularly scheduled program
__________________
R C 3 G R A F I X _ F U S I O N . G R A P H I X _ S E A T T L E - R/C - R A C E R S _ E M E R A L D C I T Y R C . C O M

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 PM   #179
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackpower View Post
hi,co jones
i usually try to post my opinions on a topic,and no personal comments,but in ur case i ll make an exception.
you are lame,and i dont think u telling the truth MR.
u have 2600 posts,that mean u are not new to the forums and very well aware about whats going on and what are the hot products and whats not,
so i know that u know that orion 4800 is like first generation rc lipo introduced more than 3 years ago,and lacked punch and voltage compared to the current ones
after that orion came out with the 3200 which had more punch and voltage.and it costs $79
now they came up with the 3600 which even have more punch and voltage then both.
i know that u know that core 5000,trackpower4900,and all the others have more punch and voltage then the old orion 4800
so just last week u went out to buy out of all the new packs on the market an orion 4800 .and not only that ,u paid $140 .u know very well they sell for much less then that.
so who are u trying to fool mr?
Whether LiPo will overtake NiMh or not I don't know, but posted above is one half of the reason I won't go LiPo - buying new stuff to stay competitive when, by the admission of the LiPo advicates, the stuff I already have still has a good life ahead of it.

(The other half of the reason is I run 12th, and LiPo is useless to me. Having said which, there are no reported problems with 4-cell NiMh - doesn't anyone else find it strange that the problems are with 6-cell packs?)

You guys slug it out all you like, but I don't believe in the conspiracy theory of life, I believe in the cock-up theory of life. All those people seeing a conspiracy in all this can't explain why those people they accuse of conducting a clever conspiracy aren't clever enough to make a fortune out of our hobby - if you think they are clever enough to conspire against you, why aren't they clever enough to go make money more easily than this!

The RC market is in the main reactive, so people are jumping on the LiPo bandwagon, not driving it. The bandwagon hasn't got a driver, it's just rolling down a hill with everyone jumping on board...
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:31 PM   #180
Tech Master
 
billjacobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 1,264
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default conspiracy

There is no conspiracy going on, there is just r/c suppliers who see their business model in jeopardy trying anything they can to hold the floodgates closed. I don't blame them and don't think they are evil. This is business, pure and simple.

I'll repeat what I said about LIPO knowledge: I trust Linger more than smc, trinity, etc, etc, etc, when it comes to LIPO's. I always trust someone more who is obviously knowledgable, and who is not trying to sell me anything.

I just got back from the local indoor track. I took a 6 amp much more power supply, an fma scorpian charger, and 2 orion 3200 packs. That was the extent of all of my battery/charging equipment. I recharged each pack 2 times and ran out 4 full packs. Couldn't be any simpler. And from what I can tell, the batteries ran the same as when I got them a year ago.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone running Orion 4500mh cells? Loverc Electric Off-Road 0 12-22-2007 10:25 AM
running too rich or running to lean bumm_off_street Nitro On-Road 7 03-29-2006 08:28 PM
XRAY T1FK - RC12L3 - Serpent 710 - Surge Batteries (4-cells & 6-cells) and more XrayRacer R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 24 03-31-2005 03:19 PM
Anybody running the new 3600 cells yet? Bflat Electric On-Road 74 07-19-2004 07:01 PM
Esc: will running more cells hurt? huasze Singapore R/C Racers 9 02-10-2003 04:49 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:24 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net