Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
As a racer, what do you like to see at an event.  What motivates you to go? >

As a racer, what do you like to see at an event. What motivates you to go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As a racer, what do you like to see at an event. What motivates you to go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default As a racer, what do you like to see at an event. What motivates you to go?

When given the chance to take in one or more events. What do you REALLY want to see or have at an event?

What makes you happy. Not winning or losing, what makes the event valuable and fun to you?

What things make you want to come back? As an example, a generalization like "professionalism" would need further explanation.

Thanks,
-Bob
Old 12-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Wow, Great Question.

For me it is simply 4 things......

1) Great organization from the promoter to the staff to the rules

2) Great Competition

3) Great Facility that is fair to all

4) Great Friends that you only see once or twice a year
Old 12-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Company Representative

I agree, wonderful question.

Manufacturers who sponsor races, or send tech support people, would also like to know what the racers look for before making travel decisions.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The most important thing is a race promotor that makes racers feel like he is there for the racers. Everything else falls into place after that.

I have been to quite a few races at various levels where the promotor seemed put out by the needs of the racers. These places will never host National level races again...and their club racing is hurting too.

The exact opposite is anything Scotty Ernst or Mike Boylan are involved with. They are class acts and they have extremely loyal racers that will come to their races as long as they have them.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

I'm hearing a common thread. They are there to add value to the racer.

For me, it's a good, desirable location, great facility, good organization, well-run, and fun.

Khal
Old 12-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I started racing about 2 years ago and most of it has been local club racing. This year I went to IIC. I loved it. Scotty and Boomer put on a great event. I plan on going next year.
I would like to see more of the manufacturers set up tables or small booths where people can see their latest stuff, or talk to somebody who knows the stuff. It is easier to approach a table or booth than it is to go into the pit area and bother people. I think at least the major sponsors should have a table or booth. I know a lot of people from the big names were at IIC, but for a relative newbie, like myself, if you don't know what they look like or who they are you never get a chance to talk to them about their products.
Thats the kind of thing that I would like to see and would make me more inclined to attend a big event.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i have not been to a birds, IIC yet, my work schedule does not really allow that at this time
but for me is would be a good promoter, good track
knowing some of the big names will be there
would love to see some big outdoor asphalt summer events in the northeast
last couple of years everything has been west coast
Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

A race promoter who cares about the racers with a nice & clean facility, and well orginized.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

There are 2 things off the top of my head.

1. Good organization, to me it's probably the most important.

2. people willing to help others out. I'v never been to a place or met anyone that wasn't willing to help someone out.

With those two things there's no reason not to come back.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Trophy Girls

But on the serious side, I would have to say it is the people there. If I can talk to the pro's and ask questions and the guys in the hobby shop are knowledgeable, I am happy. A prime example of a place like this is 360 Raceway. I feel welcomed there every time I go. I am just a kid and ask questions, and if someone is there to help me out I feel at home. Also a well stocked hobby shop with reasonable prices is awesome too.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thought I might post a few of the things I really like. This may pertain more to smaller club and regional 2-day events than the really big shows, but I do look for this kind of thing. Stuff other than the obvious like, clean, well run, etc.

HUGE pit space.
I'm not going to be happy with 32" of space. Don't throw a big race if you can't pit enough people. Or simply limit entrys.

Security. Can I leave all the stuff in my pit over night and have it be secure? Packing it up sux.

Can we stay late? Nothing I hate worse than getting tossed out at 8-9pm, packing up all your stuff, un-packing at the hotel. packing all back up again taking back to the track and un-packing it again... ALL WEEKEND LONG. I REALLY HATE THAT! Plus, most rug racing is done in the winter, when it's like 20 below zero, making it that much worse... Lot of people spent a lot of money to be there and get some practice and wrench time. Let them have it and have some extra fun.

When do the doors open? I've been to a few events that said, doors open at 8am, so you get there at 8am, and the place is already packed because the dude opened early to let his buddies in, at 6. (see "huge pit space above")

Food on site? Do I have to leave to get food? (which is fine, just let me know). Where's the nearest food? Can locals set you up with food delivery phone numbers?

Good power? Are we going to be blowing breakers? Maybe check that kind of thing out and organize some outlets ahead of time. We've all been to races where you're the last guy there and you're trying plug a cord onto the other 15 that are going to the same outlet...

How soon do I have to get there? I don't particularly want to take 4 additional days off of work just to practice. Don't you hate showing up to an event and others have already been there for 2 days practicing? I always feel like I'm at a major disadvantage, right off the bat. Kind of disheartening. In the back of your mind, you're thinking, "...seriously, don't any of you have jobs?..." ...lol...

"food on site" funny story. We're in Canada at an event. I call the Pizza place about 100 yards away, across the street. I place the order to be delivered. He won't do it because my phone number is not "local". I said "look out the window, see the guy waving? THAT'S ME..." No go. he made me borrow somebodys local phone and call him back before he'd bring the food over. I had to go on the PA system and beg to borrow a "local" phone for a pizza order... ... I didn't tip him...
Old 12-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

i like a race when sponsors have give aways. you may not win a race but you may win a prize,at least ya take something home. I think alot of people like stuff like that. We are not all pro's, but we do like the competition. I think when the promoter is not nervous and is in control that makes for a good event.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default best events

I have been to many races during my almost 20 years of racing. A few stand out in my mind.

RC Thunderdrome - this was an incredible event. The track was the largest and fastest in the world. There were two tents setup for pitting that were huge. Tons of factory racers. Tons of average racers. The Goodyear Blimp was overhead. The drivers meeting included a drivers breakfast - pit crew invited at the hotel. Great announcing. Dan and Gary did an awesome job. If I remember correctly Gary Owen sang the National Anthem. The whole race was a "Production." I felt special just being a part of it (had nothing to do with how terrible I ran). There was a schedule that was followed. There were events like the enduro race and insane speed run that got everyone excited. There were spectators.

Oval Masters at Lake Whipperwill International Speedway - it felt like too many racers. I remember an open practice session when every frequency clip (27 and 75 band) was in use. Super tight schedule. Lots of talent. I had a terrible weekend - car pushed like mad. I think I made the L-main. But you could smell the racing in the air.

It is great when there are more than 60 people in a class. When making the A really means something - not that you cherry picked some class with 11 guys in it.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The REEDY RACE at Tamiya's track has it all.
Scotty runs a fantastic program, has people that WANT to help him.
Has a printed schedule that works.
It's all there.
Fred Medel gets an honorable mention for making it all happen at the Tamiya location.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1)I race out door asphalt 99% of the time so a well prepared track is #1
2)For three day events I like having pit space I can actually keep for the whole three day event where you can put your name on the pit space... Beleive me ive seen people show up from day 1 of qualifiers and the track director does not let them put there name on a spot so they end up needing to move if someone else beats them to that spot the next morning or argue about it...
3)Resorts based on practice times....
4)My local track has this thing called trophy dash were the top 5 qualifiers for each class has a 5 lap race with starting grid in reverse order 5th qualifier first.... its one of the highlights since it gets everyones attention and makes for a fun break between the serious racing thru the weekend...Oh no turn marshalls for the 5 lap race....lol
5)Food on site or at least have the local delivery places #'S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.