R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 07:04 PM   #61
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to wikedgmc

funny how he has nothing more to say, looks like Bob was the better person here. I need to go look at Stormer and find something to buy ot support Bob and Stormer
Old 12-31-2007, 01:24 AM   #62
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by magm20001 View Post
lets warn the small business' around the world of PeteB's "standard tricks"

you got found out, your time line just dont add up.

found out pretty quick that you got charged extra for postage, but now your CC statement comes only monthly when there is a refund for you?

i know you access your CC info online anyway
couldnt have said it better.
Its really sad to see someone fussing over 40 dollars when he spends in excess of 4000-5000 daollars a year just on RC.
Bob stormer i do feel bad for some reason that people go to these lengths and try to give other people a bad name,really does ruin the enjoyment of the hobby.
Anyways i reckon peterB owes you 40 dollars plus any interest stormer have lost
Futaba
Speedtechrc
Old 12-31-2007, 08:53 AM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I've bought from Stormer before and had no problems. I get a tracking #, a fair shipping charge, and most importantly, exactly what I ordered!

Thanks for being there Mr. Stormer. One pleased customer.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
Old 12-31-2007, 09:00 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jaz406

Bob and his crew are great , nothing but great service and great people there!

Fast and dependable service! I'll be using them for my next Corally and Hotbodies order!

Jason
Old 01-08-2008, 05:36 PM   #65
Tech Apprentice

Its a pity it turned out this way for Pete on this forum, hes one of the good guys at our club, i would have left awhile back if it wasnt for him. I got myself into a bit of a turn on a forum awhile back and felt like a tool at my club, but Pete was there and didnt give a toss about it and made that point in time bearable.

hes a good guy, give him another chance.
Yokomo MR-4BX with Nosram 4.5 Brushless
Tamiya TT-01 beat up car.............
Tamiya M-03 Rover
Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #66
Tech Adept

Bob gave a good explanation and certainly did everything he could, to please Pete after his complaint but... may I suggest Bob that shipment charges should be always shown, even when dealing with overseas customers?
Other shops do it.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 PM   #67
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by il-gufo View Post
Other shops do it.
Not a good enough reason to change a shipping method that will in the end cost our customers more money. Our method is designed around keeping the customers happy and coming back.

You can't put a one size fits all percentage on an order, because the consumer that buys an esc and some small parts would be helping to pay for the guy that shipped a hauler bag and a massive truggy kit.

You can't ship simply based on weights, for the reasons I'll discuss below. I'm leaving out a lot of key things here because it's a competitive world, and other companies read these forums.

Domestic shipping and handling is all handled on-line, and shown in the order and calculated at time of check out.

On international shipments. So, cutting a long story short, most authorities agree that there are around 193 countries in the world, but there is no guaranteed correct answer. Some authorities suggest there are more like 266 of them. Depends on who's counting and the rationale for it. Look it up, it's hard to even get an exact count. U.N. recognized or not, etc. So imagine that if we can't accurately count them, how hard it must be to ship to them and adapt to their ever changing governments and import laws. If we don't do it accurately, you don't get your stuff, and we're out what could be hundreds of dollars in freight we paid for you... As you can imagine, that's not a good plan.

People get so used to just working in their own piece of the world, they forget there's a WHOLE LOTTA OF OTHER PLACES OUT THERE! "How hard could it possibly be?.. just ship the dang thing..." Doesn't work that way.

Due to the differences in dimensions, each countrys requirements, right down to export documentation are different and vary, and constantly change. Every box has to be calculated by hand to get an accurate charge and best price for the consumer. A package that fits the methods one week might not the next (remember...190 countries). It is not possible to put an accurate charge on any international shipment unless it is boxed and exact physical measurements are taken of the boxed shipment and those parameters of the boxed items are typed into the shipping software and it is calculated for you. And a clever shipper, can save you money (that's where we come in). This is what we do. 90% of people that insist on shipping packages some other way that we don't recommend, end up spending considerably more money for freight.

Any site that allows items of many different sizes and shapes to be put in the same box, that just throws up a price for you, has likely hugely padded the bill to compensate. If the package is off just a tiny bit in dimension over the estimate, it's possible a $40 shipping fee, could be $120. And they'd lose $80 on your $40 order. That's not good. There are exceptions to that, for places that sell a lot of super small items or have low inventory counts, they could probably light pad the shipping and make it work.

As an example on why it's best to use our method (and this is hundreds of thousands of packages worth of testing over 20+ years). Mind you, we are only trying to save the customers money on shipping. By doing it this way we are offering to get you the best possible price on shipping and shipping speed. Based on the EXACT package you have to ship.

Canada does not allow any package to be over 79" in girth to be shipped via express post, nor do they allow any package shipped express post with a PO Box on it. If a computer calculated shipping say 5 touring car bodies, based on the weight and size of the body, it wouldn't allow the shipment based on the individual size of each item. "SOME" bodies can be nested into each other and can beat the size shipments. Some bodies nest cleanly, some do not. Some nest with others, some do not. We could have shipped that order and got it to the customer. The computer would have to had rejected it, or charged double for it.

How much packaging should surround that item? I don't care how clever a programmer you are, and we have them on staff, it's not possible for the system to look at an order and realize the tires are soft, will work on the one edge to protect the charger and we'll have to put padding along the other side. And if you put that power supply in with the body, it's gonna crush the body. If not, the box is now bigger and heavier, and has more packing materials in it. Weight of the items is NOT the weight of the shipment. LxWxH of the items is NOT the size of the shipment. It can be half the size of the items, or nearly double if they don't pack well.

These things HAVE to be done by hand if you expect accurate, timely, well shipped packages that were shipped at that best possible price.

In shipping large items like hauler bags, we save the customer oversize shipping fees by putting items in the drawers for them. Using the volume more effectively. I wish it could, but computers can't make judgment calls on what we can and cannot get into a box, especially when it comes to items that have header cards, unusual shaped containers, or things like bodies that nest together "sometimes".

Any RC body that can't be put in a 20x10x6" box cannot go air mail no matter the weight to any country, so now it has to go Global Priority or Express post. Nearly DOUBLING the shipping charge. So if you needed 3 bodies, that nested well, the system would say that we couldn't even ship it because the 3 of them are to big dimensionally and wouldn't allow the order to be shipped air mail. The system would have said only express mail $40+ and we could have gotten that out for you for about half that via air mail because we could nested them effectively.

International packages are a lot like packing a suitcase for a trip. Some people are good at it, some people are not. We are pretty good at it.

We stock anywhere from 600-1000 different bodys, that's different part numbers, not the total amount of bodys we stock. In order to effectively calculate if it were possible to see if each one of them could fit within the other one we have to take each body and test it in each other body. That's over 420 million combinations of bodys in a box, and that's only if there are 3 bodys. That would be the equivalent of 50 people testing and documenting 500 body combinations every single day, 24/7/365 for the next 50 years. Keep in mind, 90% of the bodys we carry now, will be obsolete in 3 years and no longer supplied. So it's not even a task that could ever be completed. Those numbers need to be input into a computer for it to do it's task. And it's simply not possible. An extra 3-4 pounds of cardboard or packing material in a shipment can sometimes put it oversize or to the next weight level. We have packages leave here where the shipping box is heavier than the items. And vice versa.

So, your options on international shipments are. Base the shipment around the maximum physical size and weight of each item. Which is tricky when you stock tens of thousands of unique part numbers, you then find the worst case scenario, and charge for that, on each order. Or you risk losing anywhere from $20-$250 on each order depending on how off your parameters are.

Or, you put the parts in a box for the consumer and simply find the dimensions, bill them for the shipping and handling and send it out.

The point of that long explanation is this. Any site that "auto calculates" shipping for international orders, that sells more than one item and averages say 10-15 unique items in a package, HAS to overcharge you for shipping. Because if they are off more than a smidge on certain packages, You double the freight. If they are clever and can pack the box more effectively, they will save the customer money, and hopefully get you to return as a repeat customer.

If all we sold internationally was a tire, or A motor, be no problem at all to have the system auto-calculate it.

None of us are the "shipping company". We are just trying to be effective as possible at boxing your order and giving it to them, for you.

I'm guessing if you ask around, we are likely one of the top companys in getting international shipments out fast and accurately. We have people here who's job is to just do that very thing. Are we perfect at it? Nope, things will happen from time to time based on volume and the very basics of the law of averages and we'll miss or mis-ship something. Anybody that says there company has never done that... Well, I'd be tempted to call them a liar. International shipping is very complex. We can't do anything for Turkey that makes the Australians unhappy, or we can't do something for the Brazilians that makes the South Africans un-happy. There is no one size fits all solution for a company like ours that hits all the countrys.

This is also the reason a lot of companys just don't do international shipments. It's VERY hard, and time consuming, if it's done accurately and legally and with the required documents.

This would be a good time for me to also mention, AGAIN, that we cannot and will not alter the required shipping documentation for any order. And if you should ever find a company willing to lie and cheat for you... Uh, do you really want to give them your credit card information? If you actually con somebody into doing it, you need to realize the ramifications of getting caught, and the down side if the package is lost. If you claim that your $1000 order is only $110 to get around some import fees or tariffs, and the package is lost, the insurance only pays you $110, and your out the rest. You can't insure a package for more than it's declared value.

I'd say we get more return business because of the way we ship. You're not getting an order that says, $49.50 on it with a charge of shipping and handling of $125.00. Our guys are looking out for you. And although I won't explain it much further, I think the amount of repeat business we get from international customers feel that we've done right by them.

You just have to hope the companys you are dealing with internationally are looking out for you, and have the necessary experience to get it to you, and get it to you fast.

I hope you see that we feel this kind of thing is very important. You typed a quick little 20 second question. I did my best to answer it, and it took about 8 hours for me to put this post together, including the research. I took it very seriously, and hope you appreciate it, and have a better understanding of international shipping.

I can tell you though, in all honesty. Nobody cares about that stuff. They want their package, they want it now, and we had bloody well get it handled for them. ...lol... and that's fair enough, that's what I'd want. I don't want to know all the behind the scenes politics and laws that make my shipment... just get me my stuff, today if possible. I'm with ya.

Kindest regards,
Bob Stormer, CEO
stormerhobbies.com

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 01-08-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:50 PM   #68
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)
Send a message via AIM to dgullickson Send a message via Yahoo to dgullickson

If I was looking to buy online somewhere and came across this thread, I would actually choose Stormer based on his posts, Bob came on here and spent the time to not only reply to your e-mails and PM's, but also worte the long lengthy posts to remedy the situation in public..

Good job Bob!!! You cant please everyone, you can only do whats right and you did right in this situation! Some just want something for nothing.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:56 AM   #69
Tech Apprentice

Ive never even heard of Stormer Hobbies till now, so............
Tamiya M-03 Rover
Old 01-09-2008, 01:18 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rezenclowd3

The few purchases I have made with Stormer Hobbies have all been quite pleasant. Unfortunately (and fortunately) I prefer to order from my LHS (which is 2.5 hours away)
Old 01-09-2008, 01:39 AM   #71
Tech Initiate

Just made an order at Stormer Hobbies because of this thread
Old 01-09-2008, 02:08 AM   #72
Tech Apprentice

I think this thread will produce more than Stormers $40 back
Tamiya M-03 Rover
Old 01-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I hate seeing people like Pete trying to take advantage of others. But you know what they say... "what goes around.... comes around." Bad karma dude... bad karma.

I've always had great service with Stormer over the past several years. In fact, I think I'll look for something to order from them within the next few days...

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
Old 01-09-2008, 05:11 AM   #74
Tech Apprentice

And i personally dont see how you think he was taking advantage?

He didnt like the fact the the shipping wasnt included in the final price, and as we all know now why Stormer dosnt show it the shipping cost, and I think its great now that we have a better understanding as to how these things are done.

But c'mon, read his original post again. To sum it up "I dont think its right that the total didnt include shipping" and at that stage, before we heard the story from Stormer, it was a fair comment, which also at that stage, some of you agree.

Now grow up and lay off the personal insults, you dont know the fella, so you dont have an opinion.

Are you the exact same in real life compared to your internet persona?

Stormer seem to be a great company, Pete is a great bloke, big misunderstanding, get over it.
Tamiya M-03 Rover
Old 01-09-2008, 05:43 AM   #75
Tech Initiate

What was the misunderstanding ?
He thought shipping to Australia was free?
He cant read ?it says excluding shipping multiple places.

Sorry but your friend comes off like a total a$$ no matter what way you look at it.
Wonder why he no longer posts in this thread..
Closed Thread