Unauthorized Shipping Costs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unauthorized Shipping Costs

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 10:39 PM
Tech Adept

Default It just needs to be listed again......

Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
Pete,

You were credited the $38.99 for shipping and over a week ago on the 21st, the day we responded to your question. You may want to check your credit card statement before flaming a company that is trying to help you.

Also, you said had you known there would be shipping charges you would have canceled the order. Not a problem, we are sorry you misunderstood there would be shipping and handling charges when you order from a Foreign country. Which is why we told you to simply refuse the package for a full refund. We didn't want you to keep an order you were not happy with. That's more than fair, and very reasonable. You're not happy, not a problem, refuse the order, we'll credit you back.

You were unhappy, we offered a full and complete refund. That's as good as can be done, by any company, anywhere. We offered that to you, right off the bat.

Just as a side note, It says 3 times during the ordering process that the total given on Foreign orders, "excludes shipping". And it also says it on your order confirmation in the email you get from us,

We are not a shipping company. We hand the package off to the shipping company on your behalf. And when they give us the total that they require to ship you your package, we then charge your order for the shipping and handling. We don't know it at the time the order is placed. This is the most accurate way it can be done at this time, to keep you from being overcharged in shipping by using the exact physical measurements of the package.

Order was placed at, 5:44pm December 5th.
Order shipped via Express Mail, December 6th.
Order delivered to you, in Australia, December 14th.
You contacted us for a refund on the shipping Dec 20th, at 10PM.
We gave you a complete refund on the shipping and handling the morning of Dec 21st.

You then come on this internet forum on the 28th , and flame us for not giving you a refund on shipping. Which we did a week ago, within hours of you asking.

You even accuse the whole thing of sounding "fishy", that it would never happen, AND IT HAPPENED A WEEK AGO... Get your facts straight.

You then respond to one of the posts above with:

Yet, it's perfectly fine for you to accuse of us of that very thing in your very next post.

Ironically, when you wrote that, we had done just that, issued you a full credit to your card a week earlier. And you're betting it would never be made... And we're not supposed to be upset by that?

THAT, is absolutely FALSE. Get your facts straight. We paid that for you, a week ago, check your card statement. You're not out one thin dime, although we are, having paid for your parcel to ship to Australia. And instead of commenting on how quickly we handled every part of this order for you, you have decided to flame us for helping you.

Do I sound irritated? A bit, and I apologize for that. I'm upset that we helped you in every way we could and every way that you asked for, after we did EXACTLY what you wanted, practically "instantly". And now, you say you've lodged a complaint with your card company as well because you hadn't checked to see that we did exactly as you asked.

I don't know that any company could have done a better job of getting you that package any more quickly or accurately and just a few days before Christmas to add some pressure to that part of it. We responded, "instantly" when you had any questions, and then you took up to 5-6 days to get back to us. We did everything we could, and even paid your freight on this one.

Even here, you're flaming us now, over something we handled instantly and you overlooked for the last week. That's hardly fair to us.

We've shipped hundreds of thousands of overseas packages in the last 20+ years. And not to toot our own horns here, I don't know any company could do it any faster, or any more accurately. Even this whole thread came about because you missed the 3 times we mentioned the total "excluded shipping" on your Foreign order, and we got you your package ASAP with the correct items in it. Not one piece of this scenario where you felt it necessary to flame us, was caused by us. Everything you asked us to do, was handled instantly. That's what you want in a good Mail Order company. You asked, we delivered, and we did it quickly. Then you had an issue, we also handled that for you "instantly".

And to quote you in the above post.

We agree to that statement.

I suspect that you will feel I treated you rudely here, and I apologize for that. If you feel that it was such that you should never order from us again, I understand. And I apologize for that as well. But you can't come on a forum, flame a company and not expect them to give you an answer. It may or may not be the one you like, but you flamed us after we shipped you your order in record time, then paid for your shipping when you asked, and here we are.

Regards,
-Bob Stormer
Stormer Hobbies

I have known and raced with Bob Stormer for many years and he is a STAND-UP guy. I just felt that this post needed to be repeated to keep it near the end this thread so the real story can be understood. He did everything asked of him and was still libelled, just goes to prove the old adage that you can't please everyone all of the time..............even if you do everything asked of you.

Have a great time with the family Bob and happy new year to you and yours.

Mitch Witteman
Old 12-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by flyernemesis
so the real story can be understood.
Contacting the company directly will get you faster and better service than noting it on some random internet forum. I'm just glad another customer pointed us to this thread
Just so you know, I initially got in touch with Bob over two weeks ago and advised Bob of this thread at the time I made my inital complaint.

Communication is the key, had he been in touch with me in the first place - no problem would have occured. then if he informed me that he had actually refunded the overcharge, this thread would not have been dragged up again. I check my CC statements when they come, which is monthly, not daily.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PeteB
Just so you know, I initially got in touch with Bob over two weeks ago and advised Bob of this thread at the time I made my inital complaint.

Communication is the key, had he been in touch with me in the first place - no problem would have occured. then if he informed me that he had actually refunded the overcharge, this thread would not have been dragged up again. I check my CC statements when they come, which is monthly, not daily.
Sorry, one last comment or two. You intentionally used the word "overcharge" which implies (at least to me) that we meant to somehow rip you off or mistreat your account, which is not true, and just now, kinda got me hot under the collar, and here we are again.

Pete, there was no "overcharge", there was the charge for shipping and handling, of $38, and also the exact charge for the goods of $84.80, and 3 times during the order process you were alerted to the fact that the charge for goods did not include shipping. And this whole thing has been about how you could find some kind of loop hole out of having to pay to ship an international package, basing it on "principle". Then mentioning in a PM with your solutions that maybe this will teach us a lesson.

Here is what you said,
"...In the end it is actually you who will benefit the most. If this experience serves as the catalyst to upgrading your software, getting a better payment system etc. you will make more money from your site in the long run..."

So, to be clear, the experience of us refunding the shipping and handling on your order is your way of helping us make better decisions.

You are right communication is the key, when you contacted me, I was there for you within a few hours, if not minutes, each time. The very last PM you sent me on the 20th said the following, I answered right back, solved your problem and then no reply from you on the PM until the 28th. Where you come in here and flame us.

Here is your note to us, at 10PM on the 20th.
I have thought of three options for you, listed in my order of preference.

1. You refund $38.99 to my credit card, OR
2. You apply store credit of $38.99 to my account. (I will contact you for a quote on shipping before paying.) OR
3. I lodge a transaction dispute with my Credit card company, and we let them decide.

Here is what I wrote to you at 3:10pm on the 21st.

We are sorry that you mis-understood the part stating that "shipping is excluded" from the total.

That means it will be added to your order.

If you no longer want or require the merchandise, or are not 100% satisfied with the order, please refuse the package. We will get it back and will issue a complete refund, shipping included.

Regards,
-Bob Stormer

And then I promptly had the shipping department refund the shipping for you. Based on the 3 solutions that you presented to us. So we wrote back and then did what you asked.

I never heard anything back. Why didn't you email right back? I was the last guy to contact you, and you are saying "we" are the communication problem and yet "you" haven't responded in over a week. Once again, we did everything as quickly as possible for you. And responded within minutes or hours, every time.

Communication is the key, you mention that several times. Did you realize that in your PM's to me that not one of them included any piece of information about yourself? No last name, no address, no customer number, no country, nothing. I had to look back and hope that Pete was your actual first name (not a nickname or something), and found an order for a customer with a first name of "Pete" with the same order total, and then assume it was you.

Communication is the key. And I think that if an exact word count were a number that could be totaled on this very forum, I'd have to be at the top. Go back and read say the last 200 of my posts. Nobody has that kind of time. I love to talk, I enjoy communicating, and I type fast, which is a good thing. Go ahead, read back about a year or two on my posts. They're all positive or fun, looking for solutions for a race class, or adding thoughts on how to make your hobby better, or even to poke fun at good friends now and then. And I enjoy it. I'm here on these forums because I want to be, not because I have to be for the sake of the company. I even removed all the parts in my signature that even related to the company so that nobody would accuse of us thread hogging for exposure or stumping for business. Because that is not the case. When people order from us, I personally view it as an honor, and we'd better get it right.

That said, is it always right? Nope, it's not possible, anybody that says so is lying. But I'd say it's right 999 times out of a thousand. As long as humans are involved, things will be missed, or overlooked or handled in a way that somebody else is not happy about. We're not unique, it happens to everybody. I'd like to think, based on the amount of "you guys kick-ass mail" that we get compared to the amount of "you guys suck mail" is a very good ratio.

Pete, I suspect after this post, it's likely you will not order from us again. And for that I am saddened, and I apologize to you for that. It's not our position to "argue" with customers, and that's basically where this has gone... and that's no good, and frankly, I don't like it.

It's our position to get packages out to customers quickly, and accurately, and make sure they receive it quickly. To be honest, I wouldn't care one ounce about how a shop owner is young or old, has bills or not, has kids or not, has employees or not. I paid for an ORDER, I want my order! And that's absolutely fair, and how we look at each order. Nobody wants excuses or long delays. They want the order shipped, they want it fast, and they want it right. That's all I'm interested in seeing happen for you and every customer that contacts us, whether a $10 order or a $10,000 order, we want the customer to get their order and get it fast. You entrusted us with an order, I want to see you get that order. I want to see you get it fast, I want our people to jump on it fast, and get it out of the building fast, and accurately, and I want you to be happy and enjoy the hobby. Regardless of the scenario above. you are not happy with the shipping, and for that I apologize.

I don't like to get hot under the collar, I don't like to have our company poked at, I'm am lucky enough to be among a small handful of people worldwide that gets to oversee thousands of people enjoy and expand a hobby that is my life (and how cool is THAT!) . I take it personally. But I also have an obligation to our staff and employees to be civil and not make rash decisions. There are a lot of people here that enjoy there jobs, and every time I post about "anything" I risk a small piece of their job in the process. And I don't like that either. Who's to say how people will react. I am constantly told, "leave it alone", don't post on the forums, don't risk it.

Which is why so many companys just don't concern themselves with internet posts. We should follow the same suit. But I guess I just feel like I'm supposed to be here, this is where I want to be. Even if you are unhappy with the situation I'm still here, we're still here. And I'm willing to help you in any way I can. And we did.

Sorry to get everybody dragged into this. Very disappointing. And I'm ashamed of myself for letting it get to me. And then letting you thread watchers see it. For that, I apologize to the community as well.

Regards,
-Bob

Last edited by Bob-Stormer; 12-29-2007 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Bob: based on this thread (and I know that you wish it would just disappear), I'll be a customer with your company for a while. You've shown alot of restraint and a definite concern for pleasing the customer. I'm sure that your business will continue to strive and thousands of RC enthusiasts will benefit from it.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Could some one delete this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is BS that Stormer has do deal with this crap. He runs a great company and is honest.

Why let a guy be slandered---why would anyone order such a small amount for an international shipment and then bitch that the shipping is 50% of his order.

He was under zero obligation to return your shipping but he did---did you expect $10 shipping for in international shipment?

It sounds like you should have been posting that Stormer Hobbies is great and top notch--- because you did not pay attention to the shipping notice and were pissed that it would cost you $40 and he refunded your money right a way.

If anyone else thinks Peteb's post is out of line, hit the report button on the first post and get this BS off the board.

Last edited by Tire Chunker; 12-31-2007 at 08:01 AM. Reason: adding
Old 12-29-2007, 08:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Before it is deleted i think Pete owes Mr. Stormer a public apology.Come on now Pete,you know that you are wrong and a simple 'Sorry' would be in perfect order.I normally would not get into this,but Stormer has the absolute best possible service anyone could ask for and i hate to see their name trashed.IMO i think members would regain respect for you if you did apologize.

BTW,i will be ordering from Stormer soon with no doubt that i will get top notch service.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:27 AM
Tech Adept

I am sure Pete realizes he is a tool. I know that calling Pete names like stupid and retarded will not solve anything. I am sure he realizes he is both. No need to make him feel like an A$$hole more than I am sure he already does. I don't want to see people attacking him anymore on this thread. I mean anyone that orders from a company overseas and thinks they are getting free shipping......after three notices that clearly state that actual shipping costs will be added then comes on a thread like this and complains about shipping costs halfway around the world does not stand a chance in life and is such a tool that no one needs to remind him. I feel bad for Pete. Pete is probably a nice guy and will do the right thing and send Bob some $ for his headache caused by Pete the tool. Pete, I think it is a stand up thing of you to do to offer to pay Bob back after all you are a tool and can not read where it said you will have actual shipping costs added........Pete, I don't care what anyone on here now thinks of you. It takes a stand up guy to admit they are a stupid tool and make things right. Thanks Pete!
Old 12-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm going to play a bit of the devils advocate here so let me start by saying Stormer is one of the first and one of my favorite places I look to shop for RC stuff on the web. I also have a business selling products on the internet so I can relate first hand to what it's like dealing with internet customers.

I went over the checkout process and found the shopping cart does say "Subtotal, excluding shipping" when listing the shopping cart total a few times.

At the "Select Shipping" step of the checkout process the message "Non-USA destination. We'll select the best shipping method for you."

I obviously couldn't confirm the order so I'm not sure what exactly the confirmation email says about international shipping.

Unfortunately what isn't stated is that the international shipping cost, which can be relatively expensive, is unknown at the time and would be charged separately to the customers card later.

My suggestion would be that the select shipping step of the checkout process include the detailed terms and conditions of international shipping. I would include a radio button that the customer has to select to complete the checkout that states by selecting this button the customer agrees to the shipping terms and conditions and understands that actual shipping costs will be charged later.

Ultimately, knowing and charging actual shipping charges at the time of checkout would be best. I do understand that this is quite complex and expensive to implement. The vague international shipping of the current checkout process is likely resulting in a lot of international customers abandoning their shopping carts during checkout. With the current checkout get that the shipping would probably be charged later but I personally would abandon the cart not knowing what the shipping costs would be.

All this being said if a customers believes an order can be shipped to the other side of the planet for free then they're just ignorant. Since the intelligence of an internet shopper can dip quite low the best thing an internet store can do for themselves is to make their website and checkout process as clear and informative as possible. Unfortunately, as in this case, when a customer is unhappy, regardless of how ignorant they are, it's almost always the vendor who pays the price in the end.

While I do find the Stormer website to be a bit lacking I continue to be a happy Stormer customer. Thanks Bob!
Old 12-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Tech Champion

I'm not international but sometimes living in Hawaii it sure feels like it. UPS and FedEx shipping to here is like shipping international and can get quite expensive. Because of this I've learned to always contact who I am buying from first and request an alternative shipping method. USPS Priority mail is only slightly slower to Hawaii and 1/4th the price so I always ask if it would be possible to ship that method instead. If you are shopping international I would do the same thing and request Air Mail or Global Priority. EMS is faster and safer but will cost a bundle. Because of the speed and safety it is better for the shipper to use EMS so a lot of times when you order internationally that is the method that will be used unless you contact them prior and request a different method. While most companies do have a standard shipping policy many of them will make special arrangements upon request to save you money. But you have to request it.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

your intentions from day 1 was clear, we weren't born yesterday.

Post on a public forum, "oh i got ripped off, i am an angel but i wont name them yet", whilst putting a loaded gun to bob's head implying if you dont refund postage i will name you on a public forum.

i applaud bob for his restraint, its customers like peteb that make small business owners wonder why you even bother.

so PeteB, how about you give stormer back at least a fair proportion of the Shipping.?

but your happy now b'coz it was all about the PRINCIPLE not the money eh. coz it is "only $39" after all isnt it.

To bob, dont worry about PeteB, look at it this way $39 is the best $39 you ever spent to never have to deal with PeteB ever again. Mark his name on your system and blacklist him. You dont need crybaby "customers" like him.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Communication is the key, had he been in touch with me in the first place - no problem would have occured.
.......or if you would've been in touch with him before finalizing the order.......you would have have KNOWN what the shipping charge would have been BEFORE the order was placed. Did you think shipping was going to be $5 to Australia?? This thread makes me WANT to order here because STORMER did EVERYTHING right by you........you no longer have a complaint.............
Old 12-30-2007, 05:41 AM
Tech Master

Pete,

You were credited the $38.99 for shipping and over a week ago on the 21st, the day we responded to your question. You may want to check your credit card statement before flaming a company that is trying to help you.

Also, you said had you known there would be shipping charges you would have canceled the order. Not a problem, we are sorry you misunderstood there would be shipping and handling charges when you order from a Foreign country. Which is why we told you to simply refuse the package for a full refund. We didn't want you to keep an order you were not happy with. That's more than fair, and very reasonable. You're not happy, not a problem, refuse the order, we'll credit you back.

You were unhappy, we offered a full and complete refund. That's as good as can be done, by any company, anywhere. We offered that to you, right off the bat.

Just as a side note, It says 3 times during the ordering process that the total given on Foreign orders, "excludes shipping". And it also says it on your order confirmation in the email you get from us,

We are not a shipping company. We hand the package off to the shipping company on your behalf. And when they give us the total that they require to ship you your package, we then charge your order for the shipping and handling. We don't know it at the time the order is placed. This is the most accurate way it can be done at this time, to keep you from being overcharged in shipping by using the exact physical measurements of the package.

Order was placed at, 5:44pm December 5th.
Order shipped via Express Mail, December 6th.
Order delivered to you, in Australia, December 14th.
You contacted us for a refund on the shipping Dec 20th, at 10PM.
We gave you a complete refund on the shipping and handling the morning of Dec 21st.

You then come on this internet forum on the 28th , and flame us for not giving you a refund on shipping. Which we did a week ago, within hours of you asking.

You even accuse the whole thing of sounding "fishy", that it would never happen, AND IT HAPPENED A WEEK AGO... Get your facts straight.

You then respond to one of the posts above with:

Yet, it's perfectly fine for you to accuse of us of that very thing in your very next post.

Ironically, when you wrote that, we had done just that, issued you a full credit to your card a week earlier. And you're betting it would never be made... And we're not supposed to be upset by that?

THAT, is absolutely FALSE. Get your facts straight. We paid that for you, a week ago, check your card statement. You're not out one thin dime, although we are, having paid for your parcel to ship to Australia. And instead of commenting on how quickly we handled every part of this order for you, you have decided to flame us for helping you.

Do I sound irritated? A bit, and I apologize for that. I'm upset that we helped you in every way we could and every way that you asked for, after we did EXACTLY what you wanted, practically "instantly". And now, you say you've lodged a complaint with your card company as well because you hadn't checked to see that we did exactly as you asked.

I don't know that any company could have done a better job of getting you that package any more quickly or accurately and just a few days before Christmas to add some pressure to that part of it. We responded, "instantly" when you had any questions, and then you took up to 5-6 days to get back to us. We did everything we could, and even paid your freight on this one.

Even here, you're flaming us now, over something we handled instantly and you overlooked for the last week. That's hardly fair to us.

We've shipped hundreds of thousands of overseas packages in the last 20+ years. And not to toot our own horns here, I don't know any company could do it any faster, or any more accurately. Even this whole thread came about because you missed the 3 times we mentioned the total "excluded shipping" on your Foreign order, and we got you your package ASAP with the correct items in it. Not one piece of this scenario where you felt it necessary to flame us, was caused by us. Everything you asked us to do, was handled instantly. That's what you want in a good Mail Order company. You asked, we delivered, and we did it quickly. Then you had an issue, we also handled that for you "instantly".

And to quote you in the above post.

We agree to that statement.

I suspect that you will feel I treated you rudely here, and I apologize for that. If you feel that it was such that you should never order from us again, I understand. And I apologize for that as well. But you can't come on a forum, flame a company and not expect them to give you an answer. It may or may not be the one you like, but you flamed us after we shipped you your order in record time, then paid for your shipping when you asked, and here we are.

Regards,
-Bob Stormer
Stormer Hobbies

I havent used stormer hobbies before but from what i have seen here they seem very reasonable.
seems this peterb is a retard and i hope HE dont con more shops,il certainly notify the shops i use of this person and this thread.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just cancelled my tower b/o,s.
Here I come Bob.

Think I found my new mail order shop!

Thanks Pete............Jackass.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)
Default Class Act

I have been around since the 80's and have done business with Bob and his staff. Never any problems.Wish there were more business's like his
Greg Simmons
Old 12-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well, I am a fair and honest man, even though I am pissed off, I beleive I owe them an opportunity to make things right. I do not want to destroy someones good name by dragging them through the mud if it was an error made by a new sales clerk. I will give them the opportunity to make things right, if not then I will presume that this is one of their standard tricks and then yes, I will warn other people.

lets warn the small business' around the world of PeteB's "standard tricks"

you got found out, your time line just dont add up.

found out pretty quick that you got charged extra for postage, but now your CC statement comes only monthly when there is a refund for you?

i know you access your CC info online anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.