R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Protecting gears.... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/19542-protecting-gears.html)

RoadRat 06-09-2003 06:45 AM

Protecting gears....

How do you protect the TC3 gears from rocks flying up from the ground? I have gotten 3 rocks stuck between the pinion and spur gears in 2 sessions.

Any ideas other than cleaning the area first?

Calvin Ng 06-09-2003 07:55 AM

you can use a tooth pick.
just put a peice of tape on the bottom to protect it from flying up

IMPACTPLAYR 06-09-2003 10:44 AM

That will work however I wouldn't suggest it because then when the rocks come from the top they get stuck inside and aren't allowed to fall out of the bottom..... 3 times in 2 seasons isn't that bad I wouldn't worry........ Spurs should be replaced every so often even without being damaged to the point of stripping...... They are consumable items, like motors, brushes, and batteries.......

RoadRat 06-09-2003 11:36 AM

3 times in 2 sessions....2 days, not 2 seasons. It happens a lot. At this rate, I'll be swapping out gears every week

IMPACTPLAYR 06-09-2003 01:33 PM

Sorry misread 2 sessions for seasons

there is 1 sure fire way to get rid of the rock in the spur gear blues...... all you need is to purchase 1 small upgrade kit, it's called a Losi XXX-S G+....... hey your lap times will drop too!!!!!!! :nod: :nod: :D :D :D :D :D

Steevo 06-09-2003 04:07 PM

Re: Protecting gears....

Originally posted by RoadRat
How do you protect the TC3 gears from rocks flying up from the ground? I have gotten 3 rocks stuck between the pinion and spur gears in 2 sessions.

Any ideas other than cleaning the area first?

I had the same problem with my Tamiya TB Evo II.
What I did to solve it was to make a shield to protect and cover the spur/pinion area. I used the lexan from an old body that i had laying around and fabricated a shield.
I race on an unprepped parking lot with millions of tiny pebbles that at first ruined both pinion and spur after only one race.
Now I have no problem whatsoever.

If you like I can post a pic of the shield I made to give you an Idea.

Let me know if you want to give it a try.

Steevo:tire:

Calvin Ng 06-09-2003 04:35 PM

i would like to see a pic as i would like to do something similar to my 414mII

RoadRat 06-09-2003 04:47 PM

Thanks! I'd love to see the picture!

associated kid 06-09-2003 04:55 PM

gear protection

I put some part of a screen door that I had cut out over the gear slot and over the motor also, because a couple of times when I rebuilt my motor it had some pebbles in it sometimes

Steevo 06-09-2003 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK Here's some pics of my protector.
It works very well. I think the most important area of protection on My chassis is the cut out underneath the chassis. Lots of small pebbles used to enter from here but now it is protected and trouble free.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE PINION TEETH ARE SLIGHTLY DAMAGED BUT THAT DAMAGE OCCURRED BEFORE FITTING THE SHIELD...

Steevo 06-09-2003 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
SECOND PIC

Steevo 06-09-2003 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LAST PIC

I Have used double sided tape to secure the two sides and the top deck screws secure the top..

Hope this helps some

Steevo:tire: