SMC New Improved IB4200 and IB4600

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SMC New Improved IB4200 and IB4600

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah i'm completely put off IB cells. Dead cells, can't rely on them etc.

I'll be getting some of the team orion batteries, they sound shiney and reliable.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default why the ?'s

I originally asked the question because I was curious what IB has done to repair their image. From the answers, it seems like not much.

One of the problems in r/c racing is that buying junk products is coughed up as a learning experience, and those that complain are viewed as trouble makers. If you bought a tv and it stopped turning on after a week, would you say, oh well, hope the next one I buy is better. Or what if you bought a car and the transmission went out after a month, would you be happy buying another transmission? Just because r/c racers use r/c products outside of the "recommended settings," does that mean that we have to accept inferior products and wait in line to buy more. I understand that racers overheat the cells during assembly, charge at too high a rate, and sometimes short out and blow the batteries. But that doesn't explain why so many ib4200 were duds.

By not holding IB accountable to the products they make and happily getting in line to buy more, we will only get more of the same.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

I have wasted a ton of $ on IB's this year. Cared for them like they were one of my children and they all eventually went bad. I got caught in believeing that the "next batch would be better" testimony. What a joke.

I am glad there is an option now.

IB's are killing are hobby. Yea I said it.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtbboy
By 4600 are you referring to the ener g 4600 on Jeff roes site?

If not what are the differences?

Dave.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
F**k Me Runnin! I have thrown away four SMC/IB 4200s (well cared for & properly built might I add) in the last three months because they had zeroed out for no apparent reason. That sucks! I wish I had be more persistant when I called and complained.

Not trying to disrespect. I just wish I would have know. Or been offered the option. I have spent a lot of time trying to smooth things over with customers who have bought theses packs from me and it has'nt been much fun.
I have added to this previous post and would like to clear this up. I was not trying to bash, flame, or be negative, I hate that sort of thing, which tends to be so common in this neighborhood. I guess, if anything, I was pokin at myself for not taking advantage of my options.

No offense intended.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

1) SMC warranties all defective packs.
2) We called our distributors and had them send back all the matched IB4200's for credit or eventual replacement. In essence, we pulled the product from our distribution channels.
3) We sent all the bad cells back to IB and told them we were through with them until they could send us reliable cells. For about two months we had NO batteries.
4) They have manufactured a completely new cell with the emphasis on reliability. As an added bonus they perform like nothing else we have seen.

I certainly understand the reluctance to purchase these cells given their poor track record. However, if they continue to be as impressive as our last two shipments, they definately warrant consideration. I suppose time will tell.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:36 AM
Tech Addict

The best pack I have right now is an IB4200. I'd buy more.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
1) SMC warranties all defective packs.
2) We called our distributors and had them send back all the matched IB4200's for credit or eventual replacement. In essence, we pulled the product from our distribution channels.
3) We sent all the bad cells back to IB and told them we were through with them until they could send us reliable cells. For about two months we had NO batteries.
4) They have manufactured a completely new cell with the emphasis on reliability. As an added bonus they perform like nothing else we have seen.

I certainly understand the reluctance to purchase these cells given their poor track record. However, if they continue to be as impressive as our last two shipments, they definately warrant consideration. I suppose time will tell.
Jack,

Do you still warrranty after the packs have been soldered up and ran a few times in touring car mod racing. As you know this is the most difficult kind of racing on batteries. Cells begin droping like flies.

If what I stated is still under warranty I would like to send you back 100 or so cells.

Let me know.

Travis
Old 12-14-2007, 06:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Wow. 100 cells bad? You must run a lot of mod TC! Usually, we warranty against dead cells or problems that are encountered soon after purchase. But not always. It is a gray area when we don't know the circumstances surrounding how the batteries were used/abused (not saying you abused them, but you should see some of the stuff we get back) especially over a period of time. With that said, I would e-mail Danny and explain your situation. Are these all SMC cells? I'm sure we can work something out that is amicable for both of us.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:34 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jack Rimer
Wow. 100 cells bad? You must run a lot of mod TC! Usually, we warranty against dead cells or problems that are encountered soon after purchase. But not always. It is a gray area when we don't know the circumstances surrounding how the batteries were used/abused (not saying you abused them, but you should see some of the stuff we get back) especially over a period of time. With that said, I would e-mail Danny and explain your situation. Are these all SMC cells? I'm sure we can work something out that is amicable for both of us.
Jack,

I purchased 2 packs before the warm up for Cleveland that were terrible. I put them togather without throwing them on a matcher like a usually do. The fact of the matter is I didn't have time. I went out in practice and the car was slow and then dumped hard. Obviously bad cells. I was so upset that I just put them away and chalked it up as $130 down the drain...

I put them on the matcher the other day and they were either completely dead or in the mid 300's and 35 amps.

12 cells is all I am asking to replace. Yes, I have gone through over 100 bad cells including the SHV's from last year.

What is Danny's e-mail address?

Thanks,

Travis
Old 12-14-2007, 06:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

Looking for e-mail? Try here http://www.smc-racing.com/ , where complaints and concerns SHOULD be addressed.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

[email protected]

EA
Old 12-14-2007, 08:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ener-G and all the hype--were they just to be relabeled IB's. I am a bit confused that all of a sudden IB's are the way to go after promoting Ener-G as the way to go--what is up?

Did I miss something!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-2007, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mason
I hope for IB's sake, that they have fixed these issues, otherwise they are only nailing the coffin shut on themself.. if the consumer hasn't already decided to do it for them.
I hear ya on that. I got two 6 cell packs of Reedys IBs last week and 2 bad cells (1 in each pack) right off the bat. I believe those are the "new and improved" cells.

Mason your right, my hammer is swingin' as we speak
Old 12-14-2007, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FOXY923
Why are some people so negative? Wish I could go through life not making any mistakes

Good luck....it's tough. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.