R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-13-2007, 12:29 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Smile HAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I go to big races to watch factory drivers run the absolute slowest class available. It's great fun to watch drivers that should be running 19 turn or mod wheel a lightning slow stock car for a bowling trophy.

It's really exciting honest. Way more exciting than watching all of the mod guys run. It's kinda like watching the special olympics except the top guys aren't special.

YEAH I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM AT A MAINS AGAINST EACH OTHER USING STOCK KITS

TAMIYA DRIVER M. RHEINHARD- TT01'S
HPI DRIVERS A. MOORE- E10 TOURING CARS
YOKOMO DRIVER M. HIROSAKA- MR-4TC SD
Old 12-13-2007, 04:43 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer View Post
When given the chance to take in one or more events. What do you REALLY want to see or have at an event?

What makes you happy. Not winning or losing, what makes the event valuable and fun to you?

What things make you want to come back? As an example, a generalization like "professionalism" would need further explanation.

Thanks,
-Bob
Good topic and I'll give you an answer from the perspective of the average joe; me. I do not go to races like the birds, IIC, Tamya, etc... for some very simple reasons. First what would be the point, I can stay here and get my butt kicked by all the sponsered/partialy sponsered guys in my area, no need to travel for that. Second cost is a huge factor again guys that are sponsered or even only partialy sponsered can do this for a lot less bite to the pocketbook.
Ok to answer your question; what would it take for a big race to be valuable enough for me to go to. We average joe's need something to take away from the event, value added is the phrase here. Say something like recognition for the highest finish by nonsponsered drivers in each class. Another thing would be like a help clinic, a place and time where the "pros"(by that I meen the factory guys) wolud be avalible to help with things like setup and driving tips. Say the afternoon on a specific day you could spend five minutes with a pro, he could watch you drive and suggest changes to the car or radio. Say the pro can tell that your not getting in deepenough in the corners because you can't/do'nt brake(or the radio/esc is not setup correctly) well.
Simple help sessions like this could really bring local and non-local joe's into a big race. After all the pros are pros because thay can wheel not just because thay have free R/C equipment, so thay need less time on the track than the joe's Anyway thats the way this joe sees it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I go to big races to watch factory drivers run the absolute slowest class available. It's great fun to watch drivers that should be running 19 turn or mod wheel a lightning slow stock car for a bowling trophy.

It's really exciting honest. Way more exciting than watching all of the mod guys run. It's kinda like watching the special olympics except the top guys aren't special.
Yea thats screwed up too, what the heck are pros doing in the stock class anyway???
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What about getting to run your car/cars more than two times in eight hours or more. Getting more track time is the only way to go.
CRC WTF-1
Jsaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default an idea

I have an idea to improve large races. What would be the cost of building 2 identical tracks, 1 for racing and 1 for practicing. Both tracks would be open during practice and the practice track would always remain open (when racing was going on.) This would give almost unlimited practice time to everyone so racers could get their cars and themselves dialed in.

One of the big advantages that "pros" and good wheels have is the shear amount of practice they do over the years. This lets them go to a track and quickly learn the fastest lines. By having much more practice time, the non pros and average wheels could get comfortable and good on the track.

This would also eliminate the idea of running 10 minutes in 9 hours.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:04 PM   #35
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

[QUOTE=chris moore;3969237]Good topic and I'll give you an answer from the perspective of the average joe; me. I do not go to races like the birds, IIC, Tamya, etc... for some very simple reasons. First what would be the point, I can stay here and get my butt kicked by all the sponsered/partialy sponsered guys in my area, no need to travel for that. Second cost is a huge factor again guys that are sponsered or even only partialy sponsered can do this for a lot less bite to the pocketbook.
Ok to answer your question; what would it take for a big race to be valuable enough for me to go to. We average joe's need something to take away from the event, value added is the phrase here. Say something like recognition for the highest finish by nonsponsered drivers in each class. Another thing would be like a help clinic, a place and time where the "pros"(by that I meen the factory guys) wolud be avalible to help with things like setup and driving tips. Say the afternoon on a specific day you could spend five minutes with a pro, he could watch you drive and suggest changes to the car or radio. Say the pro can tell that your not getting in deepenough in the corners because you can't/do'nt brake(or the radio/esc is not setup correctly) well.
Simple help sessions like this could really bring local and non-local joe's into a big race. After all the pros are pros because thay can wheel not just because thay have free R/C equipment, so thay need less time on the track than the joe's Anyway thats the way this joe sees it.

All that stuff is right on IMO. Question is what would it take to start this sort of trend?
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:15 AM   #36
Tech Master

when your not charged an arm and two legs for a race fee. race fees have gone up so much from 3 to 4 yrs. ago its crazy thats why some events like cleveland are getting less and less entrys. think about it whats the reason for the price increase. back in the day that place was rockin. it already cost a fortune to travel with gas and all WOW . soon their will be no more factory drivers. ATTENTION TO THE FUTURE OF RC ONROAD CARPET RACING.
rosko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:12 PM   #37
Regional Moderator

Default ?

I posted the following questions in another thread. I thought I might get some feadback from here as well.

All opinions welcome.

I have a couple questions for you fockers.

1) How much value do you place in being able to leave you pit set up at night when you're at a muliti day event?

2) We will pitting in a circus tent. The walls will be closed at night. If I were to contract a security company to be on site for the entire night and have a 4 camera survielance system to watch the renta cop;

Would you feel secure enough to leave the stuff?
Old 12-14-2007, 02:10 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
All that stuff is right on IMO. Question is what would it take to start this sort of trend?
Thanks and to answer your question it will be very difficult. The one thing that my idea needs, above all else, is support from the pro drivers. By that I'n saying that thay must want to be involved and have a real desire to help. Without their support it'll never work. To be honest thay should be willing to do this, after all the support that thay receive will be gone soon if more is not done to bring new life into the onroad side of the hobbie.

BTW very nice track and facility you have at your site and congats on hosting the onroad nats in 08'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
I posted the following questions in another thread. I thought I might get some feadback from here as well.

All opinions welcome.

I have a couple questions for you fockers.

1) How much value do you place in being able to leave you pit set up at night when you're at a muliti day event?

2) We will pitting in a circus tent. The walls will be closed at night. If I were to contract a security company to be on site for the entire night and have a 4 camera survielance system to watch the renta cop;

Would you feel secure enough to leave the stuff?
It seems that many of those who responded to the op did see this as a very important feature. I'm not sure that I would be confidant enough to leave my stuff overnight no matter the security. Why not just use a name tag system, when the racers arrive thay get a carboard mane tag that is tapped to the pit space thay are assigned. Simple, you have the master chart of where each person is assigned to pit so if any issues arrise you can resolve them by going to the chart. The pit spaces can be assigned in the order that race entries are received so its fair to all.
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:58 PM   #39
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris moore View Post
Thanks and to answer your question it will be very difficult. The one thing that my idea needs, above all else, is support from the pro drivers. By that I'n saying that thay must want to be involved and have a real desire to help. Without their support it'll never work. To be honest thay should be willing to do this, after all the support that thay receive will be gone soon if more is not done to bring new life into the onroad side of the hobbie.

BTW very nice track and facility you have at your site and congats on hosting the onroad nats in 08'.

It seems that many of those who responded to the op did see this as a very important feature. I'm not sure that I would be confidant enough to leave my stuff overnight no matter the security. Why not just use a name tag system, when the racers arrive thay get a carboard mane tag that is tapped to the pit space thay are assigned. Simple, you have the master chart of where each person is assigned to pit so if any issues arrise you can resolve them by going to the chart. The pit spaces can be assigned in the order that race entries are received so its fair to all.

Yes, I do intend to use a seating arrangement and the name tag thing to keep that space should work well. I also would be very nervous about leaving my stuff overnight. Probably due to a bit of OCD, but whatever.

The thing is I know people want to leave thier stuff. I just don't know if they will since it will be in a tent rather than a building. I don't want to go to the expence and trouble of hiring security if only a few people will take advantage.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #40
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
The most important thing is a race promotor that makes racers feel like he is there for the racers. Everything else falls into place after that.
Good point. Some more good examples at med-large races:

John Tag, Express paved Nats NJ. Tag was always approachable, goes the extra mile, makes you feel welcome. Tag is always busy ... but never too busy to help. His track promoter / race director Al Sodano, again always busy, but there for the racers, willing to adjust on the fly as needed, runs a good program.

Robbie Dodge, Glen Burnie Charity Race. Robbie is a nice guy and despite racing himself was approachable/helpful/friendly.

Both races got Latif to announce... that alone helped make the long drives worthwhile. Especially the Glen Burnie race, Latif called the whole thing, made it feel like the national championships or something.

Seaball at the gate (minus the X rated guy thing). Chris, and the regulars at Gate and Beaver (McSmooth) make you feel welcome, answer a million questions, and are muy hilarioso... therefore any of their big events would be on my short list.

Oh, and along the same lines... anywhere the pro racers are more than willing to help out us amateurs. That alone kept me going to big races just to watch, ask and learn. I happen to have met a lot of Team Express guys along those lines, and I'm sure there are others. Not to mention all that free advice gives me good reason to buy their products just because how they support racing. So it's a win win situation.

You hit it on the head Adrian.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:59 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
The most important thing is a race promotor that makes racers feel like he is there for the racers. Everything else falls into place after that.
This goes both ways...having racers that make the promoter feel HE is wanted/needed helps give the motivation for continuing to put on races...

BIG races are a lot of work, take a lot of effort by several people...and too often cost a lot of UpFront money with an uncertain return.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 12:23 AM   #42
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=Bob-Stormer;3964011]When given the chance to take in one or more events. What do you REALLY want to see or have at an event?

What makes you happy. Not winning or losing, what makes the event valuable and fun to you?

What things make you want to come back? As an example, a generalization like "professionalism" would need further explanation.

Thanks,
-Bob[/QUO
what makes me happy is to win
what makes me unhappy is to lose
what things makes me wanna come back?winning
no need to further explain that
trackpower is offline   Reply With Quote