R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-13-2003, 12:19 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

A buddy of mine *used* to have an Evo III, but he was having a ton of problems with the drive chain. He did have one of the production models, but since he had so many problems it makes me not want to buy that car. Yes they look very nice, but I still think the new Yokomo looks better with that chassis. That looks sweet . There are a bunch of people at my track with the shaft Yokomos and they like them, they have one of the smoothest drive chains out of the box, but some people have trouble getting them to hook up. But that can be worked out, it's not like it's a problem. But I'd say the car having most success at my indoor carpet track is the X-Ray T1R.
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:36 PM   #17
Tech Addict

The Tamiya EvoIII and 414MII are great cars. All it does is require some time and a little work to "build" it right. Blowing out and oiling bearings, and teflon coating the gears and all the speed demon tweaks during a build. At the Reedy Race of Champs, in spec class the Evo3 were the cars to beat. The associated car is a great car, but they seem to be really fragile. Why spend 45min's monkeying around a 4 dollar part? Granted Tamiya parts are expensive, heck have you seen the packaging they do, but you know it will last.
gtypecanare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 12:40 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, don't get me wrong, the tamiya cars are very good. I think my friend just had problems with his Evo III because it was one of the first production models or something.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:18 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Are u near Buriens Toyota? Have Dan Garber take a look at it. The only problem I see in the Evo3 is the gears stripping, and thats done to how you shim it. But my brother has two evo3's and their drive train is silky smooth, even with the stock metal shielded bearing. Like I said did your friend blow out the bearing and lubed them with Trinity Royal Oil?

I had my bearing out of my F201 and soaked them in motor spray for 2 days, while awainting for parts to arrive from Japan, and then soaked them in Royal oil for another day, and from what they are now to what they were before it is like nite and day. The drive train is smooooooth!
gtypecanare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 08:46 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

The problems my friend was having was the pinion gear on the drive shaft would come off of the flat spot on the pinion gear and he would also stip out differential gears. But when the drive chain was operating properly it was sooooo smooth, I liked it a lot. I also like those really nice shocks and alloy suspension arm mounts, those are sweet. He put the car up on ebay on saturday because he was having problems with it. And yes I'm near Burien Toyota.