R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-08-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Charger Question

It is finally time to replace the old Tekin 112 A and C. Strongly considering the Integy 16x5v6 but have 1 stupid question.

Does the power supply need to produce 20 amps for the 20 amp discharge to work?

Question #2:
The tracks in Austin do not have electricity. I was thinking of getting a second battery (car or motorcycle) to run the charger, get a inverter to run the iron. Generator is out of the question. Is this how others deal with no power?

Ned
ned911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 07:21 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to komkit Send a message via AIM to komkit Send a message via Yahoo to komkit
Default Re: Charger Question

Quote:
Originally posted by ned911

Question #2:
The tracks in Austin do not have electricity. I was thinking of getting a second battery (car or motorcycle) to run the charger, get a inverter to run the iron. Generator is out of the question. Is this how others deal with no power?

Ned
No, you don't need to have a 20amps pwr supply to DISCHARING at 20amps. The capacity of the pwr supply only effect how much you can CHARGE.

Deep cycle (marine battery) or RV's battery is what you are looking for. Motrocycle's batt is too small.

I don't know how many packs you will be charging when you are out there.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:20 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Komit - thanks for the reply. We usually run 2 heats and a main. So 4, 5 packs max.

Ned
Old 06-08-2003, 11:17 PM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to =MisFitz= NuKe Send a message via Yahoo to =MisFitz= NuKe

hey man, not sure who you are in austin, but im in san antonio. Neways, to the point, he was asking how many packs at one time, or at least i think he was, not how many total in the night, an RV battery is very large, very heavy, but holds A LOT of power. One guy that I sometimes race offroad with will bring his out, and me and him and a total of three chargers on it charging almost all the time, and I dont think he charges that thing but once a month if that, so you'll be good to go man
=MisFitz= NuKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 12:16 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

How can you charge a car battary or an RV battary? In a real car when you run the car it charges the battary, but how could you charge a battary when it's not in your car?
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:22 AM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Re: Charger Question

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ned911
[B]It is finally time to replace the old Tekin 112 A and C. Strongly considering the Integy 16x5v6 but have 1 stupid question.

nope, u dont need a poer supply that's commensurate with the rate ur discharging. i use a 6amp power supply for my 30 amp orion digital discharger. i also tried hooking up my pulsar, lrp micro charger and the discharger on my 12 amp power supply still did not experiance any problems, not even a false peak on both chargers.

hope this helps.
evaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 08:31 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the help. The most I charge now is 2 at a time (Both Tekins running).

Running the soldering iron full time was my initial concern.

MisFitz - I'm new to the Austin racing scene. Previously I've run at Mike's in DFW, Small Cars Unlimited in Jackson, MS and SRS in Phoenix. Back after a 2 year break, and my batteries show it. Got laughed at for running 2400's but finished second in TC (no Toastie, Atomic or David).

Ned
Old 06-09-2003, 08:38 AM   #8
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to komkit Send a message via AIM to komkit Send a message via Yahoo to komkit

Quote:
Originally posted by racerdx6
How can you charge a car battary or an RV battary? In a real car when you run the car it charges the battary, but how could you charge a battary when it's not in your car?

Same way we charged our R/C pack - we bought the charger that were made for NiCd or NiMh.

Instead of buy the charger that made for R/C - we go out and buy the charger that was made for Deep Cycle or Marine batt and charge them at the house. Assumed that you have an AC outlet where you live.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:36 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

How much does a charger for a car battary cost? Where can you buy them at? I didn't know you could buy them. Also, how much does a car battary it self cost? Thanks.
racerdx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 05:28 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Car battery chargers are available at any autoparts store. This is what I originally used as a power supply for my first Tekin (BC100).

Usually takes over night to recharge a car battery.

Ned
Old 06-09-2003, 07:30 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by racerdx6
How much does a charger for a car battary cost? Where can you buy them at? I didn't know you could buy them. Also, how much does a car battary it self cost? Thanks.
Yes, ned911 is pretty much on the money. You can buy them both (batt & charger) at the automotive part store.

If you are in U.S. Sears got some nice Deep Cycle batteries and a selections of a charger. The only thing to watch for is make sure if you are buying a Deep Cycle or Marine battery you must buy a charger that capable of charging a Deep Cycle battery.

Sealed car's battery is okay. However when you left it charge overnight just be very careful.. While charging the battery can release some gases (nitrogen)... and that could be fatal and not to mention KA-BOOM!

Just make sure you are charging the car battery in very well vented area.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:53 PM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to =MisFitz= NuKe Send a message via Yahoo to =MisFitz= NuKe

hmm well said
=MisFitz= NuKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 01:47 AM   #13
Tech Regular

i have a question about chargers. would it be worth buying a cdc charger so that i could charge nimh batteries so i can run 3000 in my car?
Matt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:19 AM   #14
Tech Regular

yes matt, the cdc chargers are unbeleivbaly cheap from hk atm..

and they do most things u ever need.

my fav charger
Carbon_Fibre3 is offline   Reply With Quote