Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Reedy Hard Case Lipo >

Reedy Hard Case Lipo

Reedy Hard Case Lipo

Old 12-27-2007, 07:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Making them fit is the easy part. The hard part is getting racers to accept that 3.7 volts would be the new standard.
If the speed is close then make it and they will buy
Old 12-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (93%+)

sometimes i think the cars are fast enough.

Trans Am has really taken off here in the illinois and wisconsin area due to the cars being slow and it allows everyone to be competitive .

4 cells touring cars with hpi vintage bodies, tires, rims and brushed stock motors which will prob become brushless hopefully sooner rather than later.... and that same 3.7 lipo could be run in that class and oval i bet . I am not an oval guy at all but i have seen that they too are trying to slow things a little by running 22.5 and 17.5 motors.

now with a tc i think a 3.7 lipo and a 13.5 would be good for tran am racing
Old 12-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Kraig
Rick, if you take 2 cars, 1 with lipo (3.7v) and 1 with nimh (4.8v) without the same weight requirements...would the performance be the same?
Assuming the batteries will be the same volume, the higher voltage car will ultimately be faster. You could get more capacity in that volume with LiPo so you could close the gap by running a more powerful motor. In the end I think they can be pretty close.

Originally Posted by Hebiki
yes! i dread using tamiya/deans/traxxas style connectors.

internal plugs please.
Internal plugs are great if you connect straight to the battery. By adding another plug, you just creat more resistance.

Originally Posted by Nexus
If the speed is close then make it and they will buy
I think 3.7V 1/12 will be like all the other classes that use LiPo, a change in race format will be required to make them mainstream. If you extend the races to 10 or 12 minutes (or longer), you will need the extra capacity LiPo provides.

And for those that will argue that longer races will not work becasue of time constraints. I envision doubling the track time for a given class and in turn, the driver gives up a class (most run two or even three). So track time and race days remain the same.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Thanks Rick.

Wallstreet does bring up a good point regarding TA. I help organize one of the up and coming Trans Am Series and would totally allow a 4cell type lipo type. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

What is the status of the Reedy Lipo and brushed motors?
Old 12-27-2007, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

We run Lipo's at our track, and we have had great success. It makes maintenacnce very easy, and they are awesome. i run a 8000 mah pack and last night after we were finished racing. I put a fresh pack in and ran for 45 min with no drop off, that is insane, and there was still some juice left!

More power and less weight is always a plus. One of our guys has a 12000mah and he can run for ever. He had to do some modification to fit it in his chassis, but worth the adjustment. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-27-2007, 09:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Nexus
Thanks Rick.

Wallstreet does bring up a good point regarding TA. I help organize one of the up and coming Trans Am Series and would totally allow a 4cell type lipo type. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

What is the status of the Reedy Lipo and brushed motors?
Both are due the end of January.

With 3.7 there will be some size issues. As a 1/12th class, it makes the most sense to use a battery that is dimensionally as close to a 4-cell pack as possible.

With touring, you could just reconfigure existing 7.4 volt LiPo packs by wiring them in parallel and they will fit right in with tons of capacity (up to 10000mAh)

I guess we need one for each car.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Tech Elite

Rick your a funny guy ... ( just solder the current lipos in parallel.)

If you made a 3.7 the size of a 4 cells pack that would be good enough for me in a touring car for trans am and i am sure the oval guys would be fine with that too ....
Old 12-28-2007, 02:41 AM
Tech Master

Assuming the batteries will be the same volume, the higher voltage car will ultimately be faster. You could get more capacity in that volume with LiPo so you could close the gap by running a more powerful motor. In the end I think they can be pretty close.

I think 3.7V 1/12 will be like all the other classes that use LiPo, a change in race format will be required to make them mainstream. If you extend the races to 10 or 12 minutes (or longer), you will need the extra capacity LiPo provides.

I do not understand this.

(sorry, i do not speak english very well)

I tried a 3400mah (no hard case) lipo pack in one of my 1/12th scale cars.

It is 2S , 7,4V, and has about the same footprint as a 4cell Subc pack. In fact it has the same length , but it is a bit taller, and also a bit narrower. In any "non- t-bar" type of car it fits perfectly, maybe you have to put the center shock 5 mm higher but...

The motor i used was a 27turn, 5 degrees timing .Nothing wild here, and still the car was really fast , weighed less than 700 grams, and the runtime was superior to 15 minutes, easily. Any more runtime would be quite pointless since the best odourless traction compound i ever tried hardly lasts for 10 minutes.

So my question is : what is the point in going to 1 LIPO cell when all our electronics can't handle it (some speedos don't even turn on when plugged to 3 subC cells, let alone servos ,PTs, etc), and are designed to handle 7,4V?

why would i put a 7x1 motor with 3, 7 V in my car, when my car is already too fast for me with a 27X1 and 7, 4 V, and already has too much runtime ?

let's just get rid of Tbars !
Old 12-28-2007, 04:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Saddle pack cars create a unique challenge because most use battery straps with mounting posts that leave little extra room.

Are internal plugs preferred sot that you can plug the ESC in directly without an extra connector?

external plug coz it looks cleaner.

also give option for those who run deans to use dean
Old 12-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wallstreet
Rick your a funny guy ... ( just solder the current lipos in parallel.)

If you made a 3.7 the size of a 4 cells pack that would be good enough for me in a touring car for trans am and i am sure the oval guys would be fine with that too ....
We are already doing the testing. :-)

Originally Posted by heretic
I do not understand this.

(sorry, i do not speak english very well)

I tried a 3400mah (no hard case) lipo pack in one of my 1/12th scale cars.

It is 2S , 7,4V, and has about the same footprint as a 4cell Subc pack. In fact it has the same length , but it is a bit taller, and also a bit narrower. In any "non- t-bar" type of car it fits perfectly, maybe you have to put the center shock 5 mm higher but...

The motor i used was a 27turn, 5 degrees timing .Nothing wild here, and still the car was really fast , weighed less than 700 grams, and the runtime was superior to 15 minutes, easily. Any more runtime would be quite pointless since the best odourless traction compound i ever tried hardly lasts for 10 minutes.

So my question is : what is the point in going to 1 LIPO cell when all our electronics can't handle it (some speedos don't even turn on when plugged to 3 subC cells, let alone servos ,PTs, etc), and are designed to handle 7,4V?

why would i put a 7x1 motor with 3, 7 V in my car, when my car is already too fast for me with a 27X1 and 7, 4 V, and already has too much runtime ?

let's just get rid of Tbars !
As far as I know, there are no sanctioned competitions (or any for tha matter)that allow 6-cell NiMH as an option. All racers use 4-cell packs, and most use a separate battery to power the receiver.

The answer to why 4-cell packs are used is in your post. The cars are simply too fast with 6-cell 7.2V. By using a 7.4V Lipo, your car will be about the same speed as if you used 6-cell NiMH. Some think the cars are still too fast.

3.7V LiPo is the closest think to a 4.8V 4-cell pack. That is why it is the best option for LiPo use in 1/12 scale.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Rick please post what you find in the testing

By the way Great move by who ever it was to get you a gig at reedy. You seem to have a great pulse on the future and what it holds and its great to see your not being held back from trying your ideas.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It is being considered.

That's Great rick! A Hard-Case LiPo Saddle Pack would be Fantastic! Especially for us B44 and BJ4-WE Owners!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by wallstreet
Rick please post what you find in the testing

By the way Great move by who ever it was to get you a gig at reedy. You seem to have a great pulse on the future and what it holds and its great to see your not being held back from trying your ideas.

Hopefuly Reedy will have an improved website soon that will allow us to dispense information in a more timely fashion. Until then this is the best place to get the latest info.

We have lots of new ideas and concepts in the works!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Are internal plugs preferred sot that you can plug the ESC in directly without an extra connector?
not just that, but there is a chance of wires (that is part of the pack) that can get damaged.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Is the new lipo pack going to be 2s1p or 2s2p? Has it been finalized on the type of plug that the pack will have?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.