R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #121
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Is the new lipo pack going to be 2s1p or 2s2p? Has it been finalized on the type of plug that the pack will have?

3200 is 2S1P and the 5000 is 2S2P. Both will come with a Tamiya connector. The 5000 will also be available without a connector with 12 gauge wires.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 01:56 PM   #122
GSP
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Not Sure
Posts: 165
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default LIPO INFO NEEDED

I am new to the Lipo batteries and I have a few questions.

1. How do you know which type to buy?

2. How do you know how may cells each pack has to make sure you have or are buying the corret charger?

3. When charging is there anything special you need to do?

4. How many times can you charge / use them in one day?

5. Is there a site I can go to to read and learn more about Lipo packs?

Thanks for you help with this.
GSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #123
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Largo,Fl.
Posts: 224
Default

Ok Rick. Will the new breed of Lipo's kill 4 cell Oval racing or will we be forced back into 6cell style racing again?
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #124
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP View Post
I am new to the Lipo batteries and I have a few questions.

1. How do you know which type to buy?

2. How do you know how may cells each pack has to make sure you have or are buying the corret charger?

3. When charging is there anything special you need to do?

4. How many times can you charge / use them in one day?

5. Is there a site I can go to to read and learn more about Lipo packs?

Thanks for you help with this.
1. Personally, I would choose a LiPo battery that has been tested and equipped for use in R/C cars. This means that you should choose a battery with a hard case from an R/C car motor/battery manufacturer. Some batteries fit specific vehicle and types so it is good to verify that the battery will work in your particular car. A 20C 3200 mAh battery will provide 64A continuous which should be enough for most applications. A lower C rating and/or lower capacity is not recommended. Any 1/10 competition car will use a 2-cell 7.4V battery (although they can use more) and 1/18 scale cars will use 7.4V or 11.1V.

2. You will need to use the manufacturer's specs to determine the number of cells and/or the nominal voltage. The nominal voltage of a LiPo cell is 3.7V. So usinn this you can determine the number of cells if it is not given. A 7.4V battery is 2-cell (2S), am 11.1V is 3-cell (3S) and a 14.8V is 4-cell (4S). Unless you really are knowledgeable, I would not try to determine the actual cell quantity (for charging purposes) if you are unsure or it in not marked.

3. No. You just need to be sure you are using a charger specifically designed for LiPo batteries set to charge the the correct number of cells and capacity. And if you are using a charger than can do both NiMH and LiPo, the charger must be in the LiPo mode or you will destroy your battery and possibly cause property damage or personal injury.

4. The battery can be used many times per day. The only requirement is that the battery be allowed to cool completely before recharging.

5. I am unaware of any specific sites, but R/C Tech contains many threads dediciated to LiPo batteries. You should be able to find good info throughout this site. Also check manufacturer's websites for product specific information.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #125
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
Ok Rick. Will the new breed of Lipo's kill 4 cell Oval racing or will we be forced back into 6cell style racing again?
If there are limitations to motors, there is no reason LiPo will kill oval racing. There is also the 3.7V 1-cell option for 4-cll classes like oval and 1/12 scale.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #126
SKJ
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: OC SoCal
Posts: 179
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Oval and LiPo

Scarecrow

Please check out what the South West Tour is doing. Most classes will be brushless and lipo.

www.southwesttour.com

Rick
It looks like working for AE is agreeing with you.

Steve Jacquez
SKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #127
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Largo,Fl.
Posts: 224
Default

3.7volt is fine for 1/12, I would be more concern for the 1/10 classes. 4 cell open mod drivers are mostly using 4.0 brushless now. You and I know it's all about the speed. So hopefully some new tech. will happen in the future.

Hope to see you soon


Kenny
scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #128
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 444
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Will this battery be approved for the TCS race?
zake540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #129
Tech Master
 
Xpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dirt sucks!
Posts: 1,614
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
3200 is 2S1P and the 5000 is 2S2P. Both will come with a Tamiya connector. The 5000 will also be available without a connector with 12 gauge wires.
Rick,

Thanks for the reply. I have another question. When using 2S2P lipo packs how is it possible to balance the pack? I would think that each group of parallel cells will always have an inbalance.
__________________
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #130
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: England (UK)
Posts: 151
Default

Rick.

Reading your answers to a question above you say to question 4,

The battery can be used many times per day. The only requirement is that the battery be allowed to cool completely before recharging.

I am looking to get an higher capacity Lipo but the 3200 Orion Lipos I use there is no problem charging the cells when they are warm after use because they cool down while charging, does the Reedy Lipo not cool because I find it very useful on a club night when time is limited to put my pack straight on charge after racing.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #131
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKJ View Post
Scarecrow

Please check out what the South West Tour is doing. Most classes will be brushless and lipo.

www.southwesttour.com

Rick
It looks like working for AE is agreeing with you.

Steve Jacquez
Yes it has been great so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow View Post
3.7volt is fine for 1/12, I would be more concern for the 1/10 classes. 4 cell open mod drivers are mostly using 4.0 brushless now. You and I know it's all about the speed. So hopefully some new tech. will happen in the future.

Hope to see you soon


Kenny
I would like to see the drivers and organizations transform the extra energy available with 7.4 volt pack into extra run time. You could run longer races which will eliminate the high speeds. Basically, you would have to figure out how much longer you would have to run to require the cars to be slowed to 4-cell speeds and still make run time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zake540 View Post
Will this battery be approved for the TCS race?
Yes. Please see www.reedypower.com for details.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:50 PM   #132
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Rick,

Thanks for the reply. I have another question. When using 2S2P lipo packs how is it possible to balance the pack? I would think that each group of parallel cells will always have an inbalance.
The parallel cells will actually always be in balance. They should always be at the same state of charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
Rick.

Reading your answers to a question above you say to question 4,

The battery can be used many times per day. The only requirement is that the battery be allowed to cool completely before recharging.

I am looking to get an higher capacity Lipo but the 3200 Orion Lipos I use there is no problem charging the cells when they are warm after use because they cool down while charging, does the Reedy Lipo not cool because I find it very useful on a club night when time is limited to put my pack straight on charge after racing.
We have abused and charged back to back with no cooling periods between charge and discharge with no loss in performance. You can do this with the Reedy packs, and they too will continue to cool as they are charged.

But just in case, we recommend letting them cool between cycles.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 04:56 PM   #133
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: England (UK)
Posts: 151
Default

Cheers for the reply Rick.

Its nice to have a straight forward honest answer.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:09 PM   #134
Tech Elite
 
yyhayyim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Weston, FL
Posts: 3,424
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

When will they be released to the general public? I'm saving for a couple of packs
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #135
GSP
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Not Sure
Posts: 165
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default A few more questions

First off I would like to say thanks for the quick reply to my questions above. But now I have a few more!

1. 7.4V is always 2 cells?
2. The pack should tell you how many cells?
3. Do you need to discharge these cells?
4 How do you store the cells when not using them for a week or so?
5. How may cells is the 5000 pack you have listed on your web site?
6. When will they be relaeased?
7. The new LRP3 charger looks to be the ticket for the LIPOS and NIMH batteries correct?

Once again Rick thanks for all your help and answers.
GSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LiPo hard case for SuperStock Szimon Electric On-Road 1 09-09-2008 09:21 AM
wtb hard case lipo savageboy69 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 7 07-27-2008 07:56 AM
28c Hard Case Lipo Now In Stock dgullickson Commercial Marketplace 0 03-03-2008 12:31 PM
WTB: Orion Lipo or other hard case lipo. BADAZZPSD R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 02-29-2008 07:01 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:32 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net