R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2007, 08:58 AM   #106
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,664
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Making them fit is the easy part. The hard part is getting racers to accept that 3.7 volts would be the new standard.
If the speed is close then make it and they will buy
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:15 AM   #107
Tech Elite
 
wallstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,904
Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet
Default

sometimes i think the cars are fast enough.

Trans Am has really taken off here in the illinois and wisconsin area due to the cars being slow and it allows everyone to be competitive .

4 cells touring cars with hpi vintage bodies, tires, rims and brushed stock motors which will prob become brushless hopefully sooner rather than later.... and that same 3.7 lipo could be run in that class and oval i bet . I am not an oval guy at all but i have seen that they too are trying to slow things a little by running 22.5 and 17.5 motors.

now with a tc i think a 3.7 lipo and a 13.5 would be good for tran am racing
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #108
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Rick, if you take 2 cars, 1 with lipo (3.7v) and 1 with nimh (4.8v) without the same weight requirements...would the performance be the same?
Assuming the batteries will be the same volume, the higher voltage car will ultimately be faster. You could get more capacity in that volume with LiPo so you could close the gap by running a more powerful motor. In the end I think they can be pretty close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
yes! i dread using tamiya/deans/traxxas style connectors.

internal plugs please.
Internal plugs are great if you connect straight to the battery. By adding another plug, you just creat more resistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
If the speed is close then make it and they will buy
I think 3.7V 1/12 will be like all the other classes that use LiPo, a change in race format will be required to make them mainstream. If you extend the races to 10 or 12 minutes (or longer), you will need the extra capacity LiPo provides.

And for those that will argue that longer races will not work becasue of time constraints. I envision doubling the track time for a given class and in turn, the driver gives up a class (most run two or even three). So track time and race days remain the same.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:39 AM   #109
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 7,664
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Rick.

Wallstreet does bring up a good point regarding TA. I help organize one of the up and coming Trans Am Series and would totally allow a 4cell type lipo type. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

What is the status of the Reedy Lipo and brushed motors?
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:49 AM   #110
Tech Master
 
Victory Side's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Richfield PA
Posts: 1,908
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Victory Side
Default

We run Lipo's at our track, and we have had great success. It makes maintenacnce very easy, and they are awesome. i run a 8000 mah pack and last night after we were finished racing. I put a fresh pack in and ran for 45 min with no drop off, that is insane, and there was still some juice left!

More power and less weight is always a plus. One of our guys has a 12000mah and he can run for ever. He had to do some modification to fit it in his chassis, but worth the adjustment. Just my 2 cents
__________________
WWW.RICHFIELDRACEWAY.COM
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." ~Albert Einstein
"Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.'
Victory Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:11 AM   #111
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus View Post
Thanks Rick.

Wallstreet does bring up a good point regarding TA. I help organize one of the up and coming Trans Am Series and would totally allow a 4cell type lipo type. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

What is the status of the Reedy Lipo and brushed motors?
Both are due the end of January.

With 3.7 there will be some size issues. As a 1/12th class, it makes the most sense to use a battery that is dimensionally as close to a 4-cell pack as possible.

With touring, you could just reconfigure existing 7.4 volt LiPo packs by wiring them in parallel and they will fit right in with tons of capacity (up to 10000mAh)

I guess we need one for each car.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #112
Tech Elite
 
wallstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,904
Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet
Default

Rick your a funny guy ... ( just solder the current lipos in parallel.)

If you made a 3.7 the size of a 4 cells pack that would be good enough for me in a touring car for trans am and i am sure the oval guys would be fine with that too ....
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:41 AM   #113
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Assuming the batteries will be the same volume, the higher voltage car will ultimately be faster. You could get more capacity in that volume with LiPo so you could close the gap by running a more powerful motor. In the end I think they can be pretty close.


I think 3.7V 1/12 will be like all the other classes that use LiPo, a change in race format will be required to make them mainstream. If you extend the races to 10 or 12 minutes (or longer), you will need the extra capacity LiPo provides.

I do not understand this.

(sorry, i do not speak english very well)

I tried a 3400mah (no hard case) lipo pack in one of my 1/12th scale cars.

It is 2S , 7,4V, and has about the same footprint as a 4cell Subc pack. In fact it has the same length , but it is a bit taller, and also a bit narrower. In any "non- t-bar" type of car it fits perfectly, maybe you have to put the center shock 5 mm higher but...

The motor i used was a 27turn, 5 degrees timing .Nothing wild here, and still the car was really fast , weighed less than 700 grams, and the runtime was superior to 15 minutes, easily. Any more runtime would be quite pointless since the best odourless traction compound i ever tried hardly lasts for 10 minutes.

So my question is : what is the point in going to 1 LIPO cell when all our electronics can't handle it (some speedos don't even turn on when plugged to 3 subC cells, let alone servos ,PTs, etc), and are designed to handle 7,4V?

why would i put a 7x1 motor with 3, 7 V in my car, when my car is already too fast for me with a 27X1 and 7, 4 V, and already has too much runtime ?

let's just get rid of Tbars !
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:28 AM   #114
Tech Addict
 
magm20001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 546
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Saddle pack cars create a unique challenge because most use battery straps with mounting posts that leave little extra room.

Are internal plugs preferred sot that you can plug the ESC in directly without an extra connector?

external plug coz it looks cleaner.

also give option for those who run deans to use dean
__________________
RIP Kanye West ..... Mom
magm20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #115
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
Rick your a funny guy ... ( just solder the current lipos in parallel.)

If you made a 3.7 the size of a 4 cells pack that would be good enough for me in a touring car for trans am and i am sure the oval guys would be fine with that too ....
We are already doing the testing. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
I do not understand this.

(sorry, i do not speak english very well)

I tried a 3400mah (no hard case) lipo pack in one of my 1/12th scale cars.

It is 2S , 7,4V, and has about the same footprint as a 4cell Subc pack. In fact it has the same length , but it is a bit taller, and also a bit narrower. In any "non- t-bar" type of car it fits perfectly, maybe you have to put the center shock 5 mm higher but...

The motor i used was a 27turn, 5 degrees timing .Nothing wild here, and still the car was really fast , weighed less than 700 grams, and the runtime was superior to 15 minutes, easily. Any more runtime would be quite pointless since the best odourless traction compound i ever tried hardly lasts for 10 minutes.

So my question is : what is the point in going to 1 LIPO cell when all our electronics can't handle it (some speedos don't even turn on when plugged to 3 subC cells, let alone servos ,PTs, etc), and are designed to handle 7,4V?

why would i put a 7x1 motor with 3, 7 V in my car, when my car is already too fast for me with a 27X1 and 7, 4 V, and already has too much runtime ?

let's just get rid of Tbars !
As far as I know, there are no sanctioned competitions (or any for tha matter)that allow 6-cell NiMH as an option. All racers use 4-cell packs, and most use a separate battery to power the receiver.

The answer to why 4-cell packs are used is in your post. The cars are simply too fast with 6-cell 7.2V. By using a 7.4V Lipo, your car will be about the same speed as if you used 6-cell NiMH. Some think the cars are still too fast.

3.7V LiPo is the closest think to a 4.8V 4-cell pack. That is why it is the best option for LiPo use in 1/12 scale.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:12 AM   #116
Tech Elite
 
wallstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,904
Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet
Default

Rick please post what you find in the testing



By the way Great move by who ever it was to get you a gig at reedy. You seem to have a great pulse on the future and what it holds and its great to see your not being held back from trying your ideas.
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:36 AM   #117
Tech Elite
 
STEALTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Manila & California
Posts: 3,019
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
It is being considered.

That's Great rick! A Hard-Case LiPo Saddle Pack would be Fantastic! Especially for us B44 and BJ4-WE Owners!
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #118
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
Rick please post what you find in the testing



By the way Great move by who ever it was to get you a gig at reedy. You seem to have a great pulse on the future and what it holds and its great to see your not being held back from trying your ideas.

Hopefuly Reedy will have an improved website soon that will allow us to dispense information in a more timely fashion. Until then this is the best place to get the latest info.

We have lots of new ideas and concepts in the works!
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:19 PM   #119
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,038
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Are internal plugs preferred sot that you can plug the ESC in directly without an extra connector?
not just that, but there is a chance of wires (that is part of the pack) that can get damaged.
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #120
Tech Master
 
Xpress's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Dirt sucks!
Posts: 1,614
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Is the new lipo pack going to be 2s1p or 2s2p? Has it been finalized on the type of plug that the pack will have?
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LiPo hard case for SuperStock Szimon Electric On-Road 1 09-09-2008 09:21 AM
wtb hard case lipo savageboy69 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 7 07-27-2008 07:56 AM
28c Hard Case Lipo Now In Stock dgullickson Commercial Marketplace 0 03-03-2008 12:31 PM
WTB: Orion Lipo or other hard case lipo. BADAZZPSD R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 02-29-2008 07:01 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:57 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net