R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2007, 05:26 PM   #46
Tech Elite
 
ChrisP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shelby Twp, MI
Posts: 2,046
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

The Orion is spec'd as a 23mm tall box and interferes on many chassis. The box portion of the Reedy would be taller still.

I do like how it has nubs to help keep the pack aligned with the battery slots...but just wish that it was a little slimmer profile.
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #47
Tech Fanatic
 
kuzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 948
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Limp wristed cell phone users, why do ask? It had nothing to do with the makeup of the battery, just the weight.
Psst...also cycle life, you can charge without fully discharging and easier packaging to work into the design.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 AM   #48
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,419
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzo View Post
Psst...also cycle life, you can charge without fully discharging and easier packaging to work into the design.
Yes, very true, although I've never seen a cell user really concerned with the same issues as we RC people are, battery wise. It works, its dead, its time to re-charge is the routine my kids follow.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:35 AM   #49
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,419
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
The nubs fit within the slots of the chassis so do not affect the overall height - unless they sit on top of the chassis.
Its a good start Rick, I'm sure there is more in the development stages. A question for you, with the make up of the Lipo could a case not be made that would replicate a pack of side by side NiMh cells exactly to size, just curious. THX
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:49 AM   #50
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
The Orion is spec'd as a 23mm tall box and interferes on many chassis. The box portion of the Reedy would be taller still.

I do like how it has nubs to help keep the pack aligned with the battery slots...but just wish that it was a little slimmer profile.

OK I understand what you are saying.

0.1mm is pretty small. The sticker on the Orion pack alone adds about 0.1mm per side. And the sample packs I have are as thick as 23.6mm overall. So in reality the Reedy pack may be thinner as it does not have any added labeling.

LiPo fitment in cars designed solely for NiMH will always be an issue until a car is designed specifically with LiPo in mind.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #51
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Its a good start Rick, I'm sure there is more in the development stages. A question for you, with the make up of the Lipo could a case not be made that would replicate a pack of side by side NiMh cells exactly to size, just curious. THX
It can be. And is being worked on.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:02 AM   #52
Super Moderator
 
Kraig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sun Prairie, WI
Posts: 6,493
Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
LiPo fitment in cars designed solely for NiMH will always be an issue until a car is designed specifically with LiPo in mind.
So is that what you guys have Bob is working on now?
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:03 AM   #53
Tech Elite
 
ChrisP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shelby Twp, MI
Posts: 2,046
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

I agree with you there, Rick....now we just need the manufacturers to get together to define what standard sizing and requirements for a LiPo pack are so that the chassis manufacturers will know what to design to...

It will also go a long way towards gaining acceptance for racing on a larger scale (ie...pack size, casing, weight, protection, balance ports, etc)
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:14 AM   #54
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
So is that what you guys have Bob is working on now?
LOL I wish it was that easy! A car designed specifically for LiPo would have the same balance problems when using heavy NiMH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
I agree with you there, Rick....now we just need the manufacturers to get together to define what standard sizing and requirements for a LiPo pack are so that the chassis manufacturers will know what to design to...

It will also go a long way towards gaining acceptance for racing on a larger scale (ie...pack size, casing, weight, protection, balance ports, etc)
Because there is no defined standard for 3.7V LiPo cells, creating a standard will be difficult. With NiMH, sub-c cells are a designated size regardless of where they are made or what they are used in.

Getting R/C manufacturers to agree is nearly impossible. And battery rules are sort of made up from race to race depending on the promoter.

I'd like to see no rule other than 7.4V. Can manufacturers will naturally provide designs that fit batteries required to run the race time. In the case of TC, this is 5-minutes and 5000mAh.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #55
Tech Elite
 
ChrisP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shelby Twp, MI
Posts: 2,046
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Sorry Rick...didn't mean to take the discussion this far off-topic...

I'll let you get back to the discussion of your packs specifically...
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #56
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 5,360
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default

Rick, will we see the same safety data we saw with the Orion packs?

Are the 3200/5000 packs the same size?
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 02:29 PM   #57
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Rick, will we see the same safety data we saw with the Orion packs?

Are the 3200/5000 packs the same size?
You will see the same type of safety data. Both batteries share the same case. The 3200 and 5000 come with 14 gauge wire and a plug. The 5000 Pro comes with 12 gauge wire and no connector.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:10 PM   #58
Tech Elite
 
wallstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,904
Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet
Default

rick are you going to be at the novak race ?
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #59
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet View Post
rick are you going to be at the novak race ?
It looks like I will not be able to make it. But we will see. It will be a last minute decision.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 03:47 PM   #60
Tech Elite
 
yyhayyim's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Weston, FL
Posts: 3,424
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooliganRC View Post
just for info..
THE BRCA (UK) have allowed lipos for our prostock class next year.

involves Lipo(hard cased), 10.5 brushless, 19T or 6 cell nimh.

our mod class is still 5 cell unlimited motors (mainly 3.5 brushless)

something for everyone......


its only the europeans thats are behind.

That's nice to see!!! But once again,, a USA racing organization, FSEARA, beat you to it Plus they're allow it in all classes----ooooohhhh

www.FSEARA.org
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LiPo hard case for SuperStock Szimon Electric On-Road 1 09-09-2008 09:21 AM
wtb hard case lipo savageboy69 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 7 07-27-2008 07:56 AM
28c Hard Case Lipo Now In Stock dgullickson Commercial Marketplace 0 03-03-2008 12:31 PM
WTB: Orion Lipo or other hard case lipo. BADAZZPSD R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 02-29-2008 07:01 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:17 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net