R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-10-2007, 07:33 AM   #31
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,052
Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt View Post
I had 5 3200's and sold them all because my cars looked like shit with lead builion everywhere. 'Till there is more weight in a lipo..... No thanks.
Why in the world did you need 5 LiPo's?

Who cares how your car looks if it works, once you put the body on it nobody see's it.

As for the weights and no place to put them, I agree it is tough to find enough locations to place the weights, as most of mine are hanging off the side of my two Orion 3200's. I have 35-grams on the chassis, and 168-grams on the battery, for a total of 203-grams to balance the chassis with LiPo.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:17 AM   #32
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt View Post
good God,you should change your name to "devils advocate"
It's like calling a Diet Rite a Coke. Just because they're both a cola doesn't mean they're equal. I'm not trying to be an ass, I just feel like I've seen enough difference between brands of LiPo in my own testing that I'd like to know which ones I'm, you know, buying. The case looks really nice.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #33
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,038
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Why in the world did you need 5 LiPo's?

Who cares how your car looks if it works, once you put the body on it nobody see's it.

As for the weights and no place to put them, I agree it is tough to find enough locations to place the weights, as most of mine are hanging off the side of my two Orion 3200's. I have 35-grams on the chassis, and 168-grams on the battery, for a total of 203-grams to balance the chassis with LiPo.
1 for each vehicle i raced, one lipo charger and race multiple classes on most days. (plus I got them dirt cheap, $69 a pack which I have paid for matched nimh before)
I care how my $400 car looks. It sucks removing weight to do maintenence, so on. I am pro lipo, trust me. I just refuse to add all that weight when the weight that I add is minimal w/ nimh. I certainly didnt by them for the punch, I purchased them for ease of use. Reedy adds weight, I will by them
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #34
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,038
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
It's like calling a Diet Rite a Coke. Just because they're both a cola doesn't mean they're equal. I'm not trying to be an ass, I just feel like I've seen enough difference between brands of LiPo in my own testing that I'd like to know which ones I'm, you know, buying. The case looks really nice.
No, I know your not, you know, being an ass. Your the first one to ask the question ussually.lol. I do understand, I would not buy certain brands as well
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:51 AM   #35
Tech Fanatic
 
Scrubb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 834
Default

I believe the ball diff was from Ceceil Schumacher.
Scrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:15 AM   #36
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUnlimited View Post
Well, lett me miss the boat LIPO"S aren't allowed for racing to the new EFRA rules since we race now 5 cells. The battery war is still going on with new cells coming. I believe GP or Intellect will bring us 5000mah sub-c cells next year. Lipo's are great for bashers.
LiPos are great for everyone! We have already seen catastrophic cell failures in the quest for a 5000 mAh sub-c. So I am not sure it will be so easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt View Post
these need to be heavier than what is currently offered. closer to what a nimh weighs. trying to ballance a tc is nuts w/ a lipo (unless you have a type-r)
We are defintely in a transition period. As LiPo increases in popularity, you will surely see designs created to take advantage of the lighter weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
Is there any chance we'll know what cells Reedy is using?
Yes.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:30 AM   #37
Tech Lord
 
syndr0me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 13,140
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
Yes.
I like what you're doing there. :-)
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #38
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,038
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Rick, Lets see a picture of your "race prepped lipo sedan". The difference in weight is ludicris. Maybe I will have to go Losi to take advantage of the latest, greatest. I know people will say "it works in my Mi3 or my '008", but it handles like a pile of turds without ballance. And with companys shooting for cars to accept lipos is fine, but these super narrow chassis', there is no room for 8 ounces of wieght. If someone dont race, and dont have a minimum weight to abide by, and dont care that their car "hooks" one way and not the other, then lipo is for them.
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 10:10 AM   #39
Tech Master
 
linger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Retired
Posts: 1,132
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Just a wild guess: Yuntong - since they conveniently make a 3200 and 5000 mAh "20C" battery. I could be way off the mark on this one.
__________________
I used to be a spitter, now I'm a swallower. I graduated.
linger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #40
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt View Post
Rick, Lets see a picture of your "race prepped lipo sedan". The difference in weight is ludicris. Maybe I will have to go Losi to take advantage of the latest, greatest. I know people will say "it works in my Mi3 or my '008", but it handles like a pile of turds without ballance. And with companys shooting for cars to accept lipos is fine, but these super narrow chassis', there is no room for 8 ounces of wieght. If someone dont race, and dont have a minimum weight to abide by, and dont care that their car "hooks" one way and not the other, then lipo is for them.
I won't argue that current cars are not best suited for LiPos. The problem for car manufacturers is that it might be hard to develop a car for both batteries. Even though the Losi will suffer. Weight distribution side to side will not be affected, but distribution front to back will. So there is no easy solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger View Post
Just a wild guess: Yuntong - since they conveniently make a 3200 and 5000 mAh "20C" battery. I could be way off the mark on this one.
I am glad the master is here! I am extremely anxious to hear your opinions on the batteries once they are available

FYI, Ryan Maifield used the Reedy 5000 at the JConcepts clash. While it was only a 10 minute main, it is nice to see LiPo (in general ) in action, legal, and winning races.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #41
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,419
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM View Post
Mobile phones started with NiMh cells, do you know why they changed for Lion and now for Lipo?

Wake up, we are in the year 2007.
Limp wristed cell phone users, why do ask? It had nothing to do with the makeup of the battery, just the weight.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #42
Tech Master
 
ooliganRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Under that rock you just kicked over!!!!
Posts: 1,040
Send a message via MSN to ooliganRC
Default

just for info..
THE BRCA (UK) have allowed lipos for our prostock class next year.

involves Lipo(hard cased), 10.5 brushless, 19T or 6 cell nimh.

our mod class is still 5 cell unlimited motors (mainly 3.5 brushless)

something for everyone......



its only the europeans thats are behind.
__________________
Corally RDX PHi, Novak Brushless, Futaba 3GR, KO Propo 2413, E-Power 4500, Full Throttle Motorsports.

"You aint going fast enough, if you aint Full Throttle"
Currently slow due to : Bad thumbs and no motors :P
ooliganRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:49 PM   #43
PDM
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 184
Default

more info:

STCC (England)..."LiPo allowed in all classes"

http://bombay.directrouter.com/~club...tpage&Itemid=1

I know in Cataluņa, Spain they decided to allow lipo too.

I know in Portugal lipos will be allowed in stock class, nacional events.

They are there
PDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #44
Tech Elite
 
ChrisP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shelby Twp, MI
Posts: 2,046
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Hopefully the dimensions listed are a little bit off...23.1mm square portion with an additional 2mm added for the nubs will make it too large to easily fit in many cars (larger than even the Orion 4800 pack)
ChrisP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #45
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisP View Post
Hopefully the dimensions listed are a little bit off...23.1mm square portion with an additional 2mm added for the nubs will make it too large to easily fit in many cars (larger than even the Orion 4800 pack)
The nubs fit within the slots of the chassis so do not affect the overall height - unless they sit on top of the chassis.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LiPo hard case for SuperStock Szimon Electric On-Road 1 09-09-2008 09:21 AM
wtb hard case lipo savageboy69 R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 7 07-27-2008 07:56 AM
28c Hard Case Lipo Now In Stock dgullickson Commercial Marketplace 0 03-03-2008 12:31 PM
WTB: Orion Lipo or other hard case lipo. BADAZZPSD R/C Items: Wanted to Buy 5 02-29-2008 07:01 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:46 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net