R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #151
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wd Racer View Post
When you say your current Lipo could become obsolete before it stops working, I assume you mean in terms of comparison to upcoming future more powerful Lipo's packs, not in necessary terms of performance change from day one or longlivity. Like computers that works forever, right?, lol.

For the same reason an older "800Mhz Pentium 1" still works and is fine for most applications such as word & internet browsing, but is considered obsolete compared to today's 3,000+Mhz computer.

In other words a Lipo 4800/15C pack may be considered "outdated and obsolete" to future Lipo's upgrades, but if it works fine with more than enough power for your current application (i.e. 2wd off-road). It should hold it's end very well against higher end Lipo packs that offers more than usable power that you can ever dream of putting down in off-road.
Exactly.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #152
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to 4wd Racer

understood, lol.
4wd Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:13 AM   #153
Tech Elite

Quote:
understood, lol.
It will be the same for brushless motors IMO.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:29 AM   #154
Tech Regular

You know what? That makes total and complete sense to me, and I was thinking the same the other day, lol.

There will always be those that insist newer is better though, and buy it anyways. That's just how the market seems today, lol.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:10 AM   #155
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It's no different than our other equipment... like our radios and the cars themselves. Who still runs a Caliber 3PS? TC3? XXcr?

Lipos are awesome.

I just got home from a big race and ran 3 cars... with 3 batteries and one charger and it wasn't even close to being a problem.

(I had more chargers and batteries but never needed them...) very cool...
glassdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:18 AM   #156
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Rick , do the reedy lipo's comply to the new roar rules? and if so when will they be out?
nitro neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #157
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro neil View Post
Rick , do the reedy lipo's comply to the new roar rules? and if so when will they be out?
Rick mentioned before that the AE lipos will pass UN T1-T8 safety testing. Those tests are actually more stringent than the tests setup by ROAR. So, if the AE packs pass T1-T8, they will easily pass ROAR. The AE packs also pass the dimensional requirement as well. AE will still have to submit those cells, but in all likelihood, they will pass.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #158
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro neil View Post
They do and they will be out in February.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:41 AM   #159
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Rick, you got a weight on these bad boys yet? Specifially the 5000 as I assume its the heaviest.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #160
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Rick, you got a weight on these bad boys yet? Specifially the 5000 as I assume its the heaviest.
All the specs are posted at reedypower.com, but the 5000 Pro is 265g. We are now also working on some nice LiPo accessories. :-)
Old 01-16-2008, 11:45 AM   #161
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
All the specs are posted at reedypower.com, but the 5000 Pro is 265g. We are now also working on some nice LiPo accessories. :-)
You da man!
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:15 PM   #162
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Rick: got some real life pics of the new lipo's? Real curious and the cads leave much to the emagination. thanks
Old 01-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #163
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by convikt View Post
Rick: got some real life pics of the new lipo's? Real curious and the cads leave much to the emagination. thanks
We will have production models at the Nuremberg Toy Fair early next month so you will see photos of the batteries on display if you do not see them sooner on our site.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #164
Tech Regular

Rick, forgive me if I didn't see this earlier in the thread, however my question is with the both of the new 5,000 Mah Lipo coming out by Reedy, is the battery lead wire coming out of the pack user replaceable?

The primary reasons why I asked is because what if in the case a user replaces the end plug often, and the wire gets shorter each consecutive time to the battery case itself, or if the user inadvertly cuts the battery wires too short initially where there isn't much room to solder anything else back on.

Looking forward to seeing the actual real life photo soon! Thanks.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #165
Tech Elite

Quote:
Rick, forgive me if I didn't see this earlier in the thread, however my question is with the both of the new 5,000 Mah Lipo coming out by Reedy, is the battery lead wire coming out of the pack user replaceable?

The primary reasons why I asked is because what if in the case a user replaces the end plug often, and the wire gets shorter each consecutive time to the battery case itself, or if the user inadvertly cuts the battery wires too short initially where there isn't much room to solder anything else back on.

Looking forward to seeing the actual real life photo soon! Thanks.
The wires are permanent. There are a couple of reasons for this.

1. Safety - Socket type connections are pretty secure. But if they come loose and do not pull all the way out, you have exposed + and - very close.
2. Resistance - any extra connection increases resistance. And the internal sockets can corrode and become less efficient.

The wires come pretty long and I do not recommend shortening them. But over time and with plug changes, they could at some point become too short. The good thing is that the ESC wires can be replaced pretty easily so you can pretty much have a "nub" coming out of the pack and still be able to use the battery properly.