R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe of loath View Post
the prices rise because theres always someone willing to pay. thats capitalism. make as much money as you can.
If that's all you understand about capitalism you need a better education.

Prices rise because costs rise. The more you charge for your product the fewer people will buy it. That's why hobby shops make less than ten percent on a car sale.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:54 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
The biggest problem is with local racers taking racing way too seriously. I bring a few friends to the track to check out the local racing and they can't beleive how bent out of shape some people get over this hobby. Don't get me wrong I do work on my car but I have fun doing it. I can't beleive you put dreaded track time, working on the car repair might be a pain once in a while but track time is the best part of racing..lol
Actually I wish I could get more track time. My track is about 1hour 45min from home, but I manage to go one day other than race day to practice. I was being sarcastic because it surprises me that a lot of racers look to everything else to get faster except practice. The best setup, motors, and batteries lose their edge if you hit the wall a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo416 View Post
Impulse_racer, since you have so much time on your hands and have access to a computer and work the graveyard shift as i do. get the VRC simulated rc game (www.virtualrc.com), it's like track time in the seat of your choice and in spring of 2008 they will have electric onroad and offroad.you can even use your own radio. i wish i had access to a computer at my job.
Can't. Too busy maintaining my car, motor and batteries. No money, SMC has new 4600ma batteries coming out, new Reedy motors coming out, and new Xray just released.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS
Impulse_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:24 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to slammin

[QUOTE=Impulse_racer;3948778]Actually I wish I could get more track time. My track is about 1hour 45min from home, but I manage to go one day other than race day to practice. I was being sarcastic because it surprises me that a lot of racers look to everything else to get faster except practice. The best setup, motors, and batteries lose their edge if you hit the wall a couple of times.

I am with you I drive 2 1/2 to 3 hours every other to race because I enjoy racing with the guys their and almost always have fun while I am their.After a couple of trips over their racing the rest of my family started racing.So for me its like having a little family outing on race days now.
Agama A215
Agama A215T
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:42 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Pie_robot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse_racer View Post
Can't. Too busy maintaining my car, motor and batteries. No money, SMC has new 4600ma batteries coming out, new Reedy motors coming out, and new Xray just released.
easy dont buy them

Bodgy Brothers Racing......19t,Stock,Mini,540,2wd stock
JMP Graphics....sparkly
www.castlehillraceway.com
Pie_robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:08 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
I love this hobby. I got into it because it was the closest to full size racing I was going to get. I am an average racer, B main material. I work graveyard with too much time on my hands tonight. I have been reading on different threads about the state of TC racing. That it is going down, what is to blame and what can be done to get new blood into the hobby. The battles over Lipo vs NiMh and Brushed vs Brushless. The truth behind all of these issues is that this hobby ain't easy. It has a steep learning curve. Very steep. Building the kit is probably the easiest thing we do. Getting it "on rails" after it is built isn't easy. Tuning motors isn't easy. Maintaining batteries while not hard is tedious. The more you learn the more you realize how much more there is to learn. And then there is the time. This is not a pull it out, run it, and pack it up until next weekend thing. Not if you bought a T2, a RDX, Mi3, etc. There is car, motor, and battery maintenance. And the dreaded track time. Running practice laps. These are the best and worst things about our hobby. Also, and I don't care how you look at it, it is not cheap. I think the arguments are so heated regarding Lipos and brushless motors because people believe these will help make things easier and less expensive overall. In the mean time pray for the non-racing father who wants to get his boys(or girls) started in this exciting hobby because he just doesn't know. We all know the first question a perspective newbie always asks has "fast" in it somewhere. How much or how to get it to go around corners is never in the list of FAQ. Off road RTRs are one of the fastest growing segments of the hobby because it is relatively easy. Pretty much everything in one box. Start it up, run it, flip it over. Lots of giggles. When was the last time you giggled when you flipped(or had marshalled) your sedan in the middle of a 5 min Final. It's racing, but it wasn't funny, not at the time. It's fun, but serious fun. Now explain to that newbie how to get from where he is to where you are in 5 minutes or less. R/C on road racing whether, nitro or electric, requires "special" people, short yellow bus special. And the faster the class the shorter the bus. There is only a small percentage of the population that qualifies. We put wives, family. important dates, financial solvency on the back burner to race these very expensive toy cars around. And get way too serious at times doing it. Just take a look at the Lipo vs NmHi thread. Some of these guys would come to blows if they were in the same room. Over what!! A battery type. The hobby will go in the direction that the consumer, us, drive it to. No need to argue. You buy what you like, I'll buy what I like, it will all work out. We have to always remember this is a hobby, done for fun. Only the top 1% make money at it and they don't seem concerned about the stuff we fuss about. They are going to race whatever their sponsers give them without batting an eye. Besides when lipos and brushless motors are made legal, I think we are going to miss the "good ole days". With no maintenance batteries and no maintenance motors what are we going to blame our continued unimpressive lap times on? Oh, I forgot, we still have the car. Damn Xray, Corally, Tamiya, etc. from keeping us from reaching our full potential.
New people are always coming into the hobby. It just seems fewer in TC because of all the options now available in the R/C world. 1/5,1/8, 1/10,1/12, 1/18, Oval, Drifting, plus all that is in Off Road. And I didn't mention air and water. The short bus makes a stop at all these and people will continue to get off at the TC stop.
i also heard its very hard to press the enter button to write in paragraphs
Old 12-08-2007, 03:29 AM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by magm20001 View Post
Everybody's a critic.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS
Old 12-08-2007, 04:15 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Quote:
Capitalization and punctuation are apparently difficult as well.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:19 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
Capitalization and punctuation are apparently difficult as well.
Hudy
Litemodz CVS
Old 12-08-2007, 07:53 AM   #24
Tech Rookie

Quote:

Proof that people will complain about anything.
Old 12-08-2007, 08:23 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this is the point it all gets a bit silly
Old 12-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #26
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to KDagh1 Send a message via MSN to KDagh1

I know all of these things and back about 10 - 15 years ago, when I was a kid and had no money, I would get really depressed about how expensive everything was. I remember reading RCCA and hearing about some new thing coming out and thinking how I would not be competitive without it.

Now, money is not an issue (at R/c levels at least), but time is. Getting time to race is the hardest part for me now. And, while I am better now than when I was a kid, I have no illusions that I will ever be at a world-class (read Hara, Rheinard, Blackstock) level. I do it because I want to be better than yesterday and improve relative to myself. If I can make an A-main at a big event, fantastic! If not, fantastic too! I'll have fun regardless.

I have been out of racing for a couple of years and recently came back. My goal was only to complete all of the heats and main. I didn't care if I finished last or first. Ironically, with this mindset, I had more fun than I have ever had before. When I was younger, I thought that I _had_ to win. So, there was pressure and I didn't have fun. But, I'm digressing from the thread.

R/c is not cheap but compared to any other kind of racing it is relatively inexpensive. And, if, like when I was a kid, you have very little money, you can still compete. Just buy used equipment from other racers that you know that is in good shape. It does not need to be the latest gen stuff, just competitive. Take good care of it, focus on tuning, driving, and practicing, and you'll do good.

Unless you are a world-class driver, a good three year old TC is still very competitive especially at the club level. So, my point is that you do not have to spend a fortune to have fun and be competitive.
KDagh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:23 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How expensive RC racing is depends on the perspective of each individual. For someone who spent the last couple years racing real cars RC cars are dirt cheap. For a teenager just coming into the hobby some of this stuff can seem way out of reach.

Competitive is also a relative term. At a track where most of the racers are new, an older car may do you well. My local track (360 RC Speedway) one of the owners is a national champion, there are several sponsored drivers (not full rides but they get stuff), and three hobby shops are represented with their own drivers. Even with semi decent skills you're going to struggle with this crowd, even with the best stuff. Of course with that much talent you can only get better the more you race, and that's a good thing.

The "fun factor" is different for everyone. That's why there are so many arguments on message boards. Each person has a different idea of what is and what isn't fun. And each person has to decide wether or not they're having fun.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:31 AM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
How expensive RC racing is depends on the perspective of each individual. For someone who spent the last couple years racing real cars RC cars are dirt cheap. For a teenager just coming into the hobby some of this stuff can seem way out of reach.

Competitive is also a relative term. At a track where most of the racers are new, an older car may do you well. My local track (360 RC Speedway) one of the owners is a national champion, there are several sponsored drivers (not full rides but they get stuff), and three hobby shops are represented with their own drivers. Even with semi decent skills you're going to struggle with this crowd, even with the best stuff. Of course with that much talent you can only get better the more you race, and that's a good thing.

The "fun factor" is different for everyone. That's why there are so many arguments on message boards. Each person has a different idea of what is and what isn't fun. And each person has to decide wether or not they're having fun.
^
I'd vote for this guy.
-Adam
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #29
Tech Initiate

i agree with jiml,u can race with ur friends on a track with the purpose of having fun,and things wont get expensive,but once u start thinking about being competitive,and try to beat the guy next to u who always beat u cose he have a better speedo or batteries,things can get expensive,relatively at least.so its up to u whre u wanna be and how much u wanna spend.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:30 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
You do have too much time on your hands.
Mr. Rumplestiltskin,
We both have too much time on our hands when you're posting before work and when I'm at work.

Quote:
Actually I wish I could get more track time. My track is about 1hour 45min from home, but I manage to go one day other than race day to practice.
I'm glad you make the effort to come down and have fun with us as often as you do. Our track attitude has been excellent which has brought the attendance up during this season.
fav0re is offline   Reply With Quote