R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TC5 vs. JRX-S type R (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/194076-tc5-vs-jrx-s-type-r.html)

Speedkills 12-03-2007 09:19 PM

TC5 vs. JRX-S type R

Need a little help deciding between the TC5 and the JRX-S type R, so I'm calling on owners of both to help me out.

I've owned a lot of Losi's in my RC life, (I still have a the original Street Weapon in a box), and I've always like their engineering. I hear a lot of good thing about the TC5 as well. The biggest difference I see in the pictures is the fact that batteries/motor are in the center of the JRXS. Does that help or hurt the performance?

I'm hoping to hear the pros and cons of each from people who drive them every weekend.

Thanks in advance!

syndr0me 12-03-2007 09:45 PM

What surface do you race on? What kind of tires do you use on that surface?

BSchorr 12-03-2007 09:48 PM

I am kinda curious to try out the JRXS-R also, I have the 007 right now. Seem like a hassle though, routing all the wires funky around the car, and having to unscrew 4 screws everytime to take it out. I would be worried about stripping a screw out over time from the over usage of them 4 screws. Do they screw into metal or plastic?

syndr0me 12-03-2007 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by BSchorr (Post 3935670)
I am kinda curious to try out the JRXS-R also, I have the 007 right now. Seem like a hassle though, routing all the wires funky around the car, and having to unscrew 4 screws everytime to take it out. I would be worried about stripping a screw out over time from the over usage of them 4 screws. Do they screw into metal or plastic?

The battery screws go into the bottom of the posts that support the top deck which are aluminum. I've never had one strip, you don't have to use much force at all to hold them in. NiMH batteries fit in there okay, though they like to rub a little bit on the back bulkhead. LiPo batteries fit like a dream. Changing batteries is easy, though, and you can use bullet connectors, you just have to solder them at a particular angle. There's no need to solder them to battery bars with the Type-R.

It's a fun car, tough as nails, and ridiculously easy to work on. The parts are readily available, and very reasonable. I'm not convinced it's a great rubber tire car, since the chassis is so stiff, but plenty of guys seem to be fast with it on rubbers, so who knows. There's no changing the car's flex characteristics, though.

The wiring isn't too bad, actually. If you're doing brushless, I'd consider using the LRP TC Spec since it mounts on its side easily, and will keep you from having the ESC hang off the side of the chassis.

rcarmchl 12-04-2007 07:07 AM

I would caution you about the Type-R as I had one earlier this year and sold it for the original T2...if you are the only one at your track with one ...don't do it, as it is very different to tune in comparison to the T2/TC5/Cyclone's of the world. I spent a lot of time trying to figure the car out and having very little success, this was rubber on asphalt.

I am by no means saying it won't work for you but think about it before you jump in head first.

ScottB 12-04-2007 07:20 AM

I have been racing touring cars for a few years now, and I have had a tc3,
fk04,jrxs (the older one),rdx,tc5 and I now have the type R and have to say that it is by far my favorite one yet. I have no complaints about it.

MikeXray 12-04-2007 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by rcarmchl (Post 3936709)
I would caution you about the Type-R as I had one earlier this year and sold it for the original T2...if you are the only one at your track with one ...don't do it, as it is very different to tune in comparison to the T2/TC5/Cyclone's of the world. I spent a lot of time trying to figure the car out and having very little success, this was rubber on asphalt.

I am by no means saying it won't work for you but think about it before you jump in head first.

That's strange the few people I know that have gone from xray to the type-r are all happy with the switch, this is foam on carpet. The type-r is much easier to drive and setup than my xray was, even with the BMI chassis, the type-r also take a much better beating than the xray did.

rcarmchl 12-04-2007 08:22 AM

Like I said - it might just be my excperience with the car and I was running rubber on asphalt....I found the xray to be MUCH tougher than the Type-R but that is in relation to my driving ...not everyone's....we all have our own opinions...this is mine :)

J@UNE 12-04-2007 08:42 AM

I went from Xray to losi. I think that Xray plastic is the best in the rc industry... But The losi is not bad at all!!! and hard to beleive but Its also easyer to work on!!

On foam the Type-R is just perfect. On rubber, the car is awesome too but took a while to get it dialed. If you plan on running Lipo, the losi is perfect.

At my local track, both cars (Type-R and TC5) have about the same lap time and are as fast... So its a matter of preference...

Dasupacat1 12-04-2007 08:44 AM

I've owned both and ran rubbers on carpet. I traded my Type R for a TC5. The R has EA3 plastic. Part of the reason I traded it. The arms are too fragile and snapped at the tap of a board. I feel more consistent now with my TC5. The AE is def. More durable.

Jerry P 12-04-2007 08:46 AM

I went from an Xray T2'007 to a Type R and it was the best move I ever made. I am not expert driver so i cant say the car is better but i can say it was easier to drive and it made me a much faster driver. It has also been very durable after the new arms were being sold.

rcarmchl 12-04-2007 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by J@UNE (Post 3936976)
I went from Xray to losi. I think that Xray plastic is the best in the rc industry... But The losi is not bad at all!!! and hard to beleive but Its also easyer to work on!!

On foam the Type-R is just perfect. On rubber, the car is awesome too but took a while to get it dialed. If you plan on running Lipo, the losi is perfect.

At my local track, both cars (Type-R and TC5) have about the same lap time and are as fast... So its a matter of preference...

is mine still treating you well?

sportpak 12-04-2007 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dasupacat1 (Post 3936985)
I've owned both and ran rubbers on carpet. I traded my Type R for a TC5. The R has EA3 plastic. Part of the reason I traded it. The arms are too fragile and snapped at the tap of a board. I feel more consistent now with my TC5. The AE is def. More durable.

The new EA material is better then the box stock material. I haven't broken much in the last 3 months of weekly thrashing. Car is getting better every week for me.

If your gonna run Lipo, the R will be a cleaner install. I've seen TC5s with 3-4oz of lead strapped all over the place. Not pretty.

J@UNE 12-04-2007 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by rcarmchl (Post 3937018)
is mine still treating you well?

ohhh yeah!!!! Gettin better and better :)

Speedkills 12-04-2007 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by syndr0me (Post 3935658)
What surface do you race on? What kind of tires do you use on that surface?

I will be running on asphalt with rubber tires mainly, but I would like to make it to a carpet track in the upcoming year.

From this thread it looks like it will take a while to dial in, but that's OK, I'm up for the challenge.

One thing I like about the Losi is that everything has a fastener. A couple of months ago I was turn marshaling and I got to know the TC5 real fast...2 guys on 4 different occasions through out the day had their shocks pop off because they're snap on. The first time I couldn't figure it out, but the 3 other times, they seemed to pop their shocks right in front of me, and I just picked it up, popped it back on, and they we're back on their way.