R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedkills View Post
I will be running on asphalt with rubber tires mainly, but I would like to make it to a carpet track in the upcoming year.

From this thread it looks like it will take a while to dial in, but that's OK, I'm up for the challenge.

One thing I like about the Losi is that everything has a fastener. A couple of months ago I was turn marshaling and I got to know the TC5 real fast...2 guys on 4 different occasions through out the day had their shocks pop off because they're snap on. The first time I couldn't figure it out, but the 3 other times, they seemed to pop their shocks right in front of me, and I just picked it up, popped it back on, and they we're back on their way.
The losi's are as well, but you can add a small screw and washer on the outside to lock them in.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:22 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasupacat1 View Post
I've owned both and ran rubbers on carpet. I traded my Type R for a TC5. The R has EA3 plastic. Part of the reason I traded it. The arms are too fragile and snapped at the tap of a board. I feel more consistent now with my TC5. The AE is def. More durable.
The original run of arms that shipped with the car (and spares) had some problem with the mixture of the material, which was later resolved. Losi sent me some of the new arms about 6 months ago, and all 4 are still on my car. I race it twice a week on a tight track with wood boards. I definitely think they got the arm thing sorted out.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:23 PM   #18
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
The losi's are as well, but you can add a small screw and washer on the outside to lock them in.
Yea, I definitely suggest this for rubber tires. The finishing washers work well.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:46 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
The original run of arms that shipped with the car (and spares) had some problem with the mixture of the material, which was later resolved. Losi sent me some of the new arms about 6 months ago, and all 4 are still on my car. I race it twice a week on a tight track with wood boards. I definitely think they got the arm thing sorted out.
Same here
J@UNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

speedkills buy the losi u won't be disappointed.
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:32 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I got the Losi and within my few days of racing I was almost as fast as guys that have racing for years. Get the Parma Ultimate Bumper and it's as durable as a tank.
Jeff Crosson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #22
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Both are great cars and you probably cannot go wrong with either one of them. Next time you are at the track and take a look at the parts wall to see what is hanging there. You don't want to break the car only to find out that nobody at the track has that part.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #23
Tech Rookie

Very true. That's why I'm staying completely from certain cars all together. I can't rely on the internet for ALL my parts.
Speedkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:08 PM   #24
Tech Elite

After not running for about 10 years i picked up a couple jrxs-pro's and had a great time w/ them. I picked up a type-r just as the season was closing out and i had great results with it on relatively cold asphalt. I did break a rear arm but it turns out it was a kit original, i've replaced it w/ the newer material arms.
YmeBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:20 AM   #25
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to mydartswinger Send a message via Yahoo to mydartswinger

From what I've read here, the TC5 vs. JRX-S-R is pretty much a Ford vs. Chevy battle. On the other hand, they both go about things totally different. I've been running a TC3 w/ rubber slicks, and a stock motor on a tight parking lot track using PVC pipe. I'm looking to upgrade to a newer car. I generally go for Losi, but I have no gripes about Associated. I'm looking for whichever car can do 90 degree corners better than the other (better handling) and have better acceleration (considering gearing is equivalent). I don't mind if it takes more tuning to get there, as tuning is one of the great things about our hobby. To me, the Losi seems like it would be a better choice in either carpet or asphalt due to it's CG/Balance, but I have never run either car so that's just what I would think just from looking at it. Any thoughts? Parts support and tuning assistance aside, which would be better for this situation? Thanks in advance.
mydartswinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #26
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to mydartswinger Send a message via Yahoo to mydartswinger

As a quick update, I spoke with some of the guys that race where I will be racing when I return (currently deployed). They said that they mostly run TC4s and JRX-Ss. To give an idea of the track/competition there, here is a sampling of some of the times posted in the A-Main:
18/5.06.82 Average Lap: 17.04 seconds
18/5.08.57 17.14
17/5.01.14 17.71
17/5.05.06 17.94
These times were posted by the top 4 drivers in the A-Main. Once I can get to the site that my last times with the TC3 were posted at, I'll post them here. Thanks in advance for any help.
mydartswinger is offline   Reply With Quote