R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-01-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Angry RC12 L4 - insane power need set up help BADLY!!!!

I just bought an rc12 l4 and i am running a mamba max 7700kv brushless in it with intellect 4200 cells (4 cell) but on the main straight of my track that is fairly long my steering is way to twitchy and i try to correct slightly i flip or run off the track, it is fine through the other parts of the track. can someone help me????
L4_Racer#16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

carpet or asphalt?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4_Racer#16 View Post
I just bought an rc12 l4 and i am running a mamba max 7700kv brushless in it with intellect 4200 cells (4 cell) but on the main straight of my track that is fairly long my steering is way to twitchy and i try to correct slightly i flip or run off the track, it is fine through the other parts of the track. can someone help me????
maybe install a 13.5 motor or something slower for now while you work on chassis setup and driving practice...

AE - Reedy - LRP - Hobby Velocity - XP Digital - JConcepts
Maybell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Its Asphalt, ive tried a komodo dragon motor in it, it was to easy to control and not fast enough for the track i run at, the track is long high speed and flowing. i have raced 1/10 for a few years already. and dont have the money to buy a slower mamba motor or other brushless. would perfer to run brushless
Old 12-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #5
Tech Addict

My guess is that you really don't have too much of a setup issue, just a problem getting all that crazy power to the ground. It sounds like on the straight when you are wide open the car is barely getting hooked up so any slight steering input causes the rear end to break loose. I would recommend rolling on throttle a little softer at the beginning of the straight and don't go wide open! Or try setting your throttle epa down a little bit. There is no such thing as too easy to control. A car in control is a fast one.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybell View Post
maybe install a 13.5 motor or something slower for now while you work on chassis setup and driving practice...
DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!

This is the BEST advice that can be given...ignore it at your OWN peril. Trying to sort out handling when you're overpowered is an enormous waste of time and resources. Put your 19T (or better yet someone's throw-away stocker) and get the handling sorted out. THEN put the monster horsepower in.

The 19T may be "slow" for your track, but if you're all over the place now chances are you were actually turning faster laps with it.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

yeah maybe it is the way i was driving, i ran 19turn for ages b4 buyin the L4 so chances were that i was driving it like a 19turn. maybe i just have to be so much more smooth on the gas if you guys have any more help try to help with this question. . . when coming out of corners it is really easy for me to spin out..... im guessing rear wheel traction. how can this be fixed? im not the best when it comes to car set ups
Old 12-01-2007, 05:33 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

There are a LOT of things this could be. Start with the easy ones if you didn't "set the car up" initially.

Tweak

Rear axle centered

Incorrect/notchy diff

Ummm....

One thing you WILL learn if you want to be successful (read: fast) in 1/12 is that proper set-up is paramount. There are a lot fewer adjustments than on your TC, but that just means those adjustments need to be as close to spot-on as you can make them.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
There are a multitude of things that can cause this and we really need more of your current setup(things like center shock spring/oil, front springs) to really nail it down. Try what others have said and try to be more smooth with the trigger. Two things to check, see what toe your running in the front. Toe out will decrease straight line stability. And check the center spring combo, generaly the softer that combo the more rear grip. What ever you do only make one change at a time and record the results, that way you can refer to your notes when you need to make a change in the future.
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
yeah maybe it is the way i was driving, i ran 19turn for ages b4 buyin the L4 so chances were that i was driving it like a 19turn. maybe i just have to be so much more smooth on the gas if you guys have any more help try to help with this question. . . when coming out of corners it is really easy for me to spin out..... im guessing rear wheel traction. how can this be fixed? im not the best when it comes to car set ups
That problem still sounds like a driver error (no offense), I race a 1/10 pan car with a 3.5 and even after about a half year of driving it I still spin out on corner exit sometimes (depends on the grip at the time). Have you tried traction compound on the rear tyres?
If not that would make the car extremely hard to drive and would only add to your problem.

Sunshine Coast QLD AUSTRALIA

"If you stand still long enough you'll go backwards"
Drewdc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

dial some steering speed out of your radio lol
|__Hyperdrive fan bus__ _|_| __\_ HOP ON BOARD
|_________12th scale___ |_| ____|
|_(@"@)____________|_|(@)__|
joe_jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:56 AM   #12

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Here's some general tips:
1.Soften center shock to gain rear traction coming out of the corner.
Try a green spring and 20wt oil.

2. Use thin Tbar to gain rear traction with the middle screw where it mounts on the rear pod removed.

3. Use a very high downorce body. For example a parma Zytec. If needed add a rear wing extension.

4. Driving style: keep a little, say 1/4, throttle on during each corner and roll on the throttle out of the corners.

For tires I'd go for pink rear with purple front.

As a last keep your tweak in check. Swap the tires left and right each run and regularly check and if necessary adjust the tweak screws on the Tbar.
Pro ten Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 02:43 AM   #13
Tech Master

I like my 12th car to be very 'twitchy' in the handling department. I like lots of initial steering but this can make the car a total nightmare through high speed corners like at the end of a straight, for example. To overcome this, I leave the setup of my car alone and work on some of the settings of the transmitter. I have the expodential setting at around -60 on my KO transmitter and the good thing about doing this is that my car is great around the rest of the track and I get alot more 'feel' from my car during the high speed corners of the track, making it easier there as well.

If I change the setup of my car to handle the high speed corners, then I lose what I want from the car throughout the rest of the circuit. Doing the transmitter trick works out well for the whole of the track!

I hope that makes sense!!

All the best,

Chris.
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to Doodad

Can somebody post the link to Rich Changs 1/12 set-up guide for this fella?
Doodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 AM   #15
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

http://richardchang.com/hobby.php?topic=112setup

**** "Luxury" ****
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote