R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-29-2007, 05:52 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Are we at the barrier?

Are we at the barrier in electric touring cars where theres nothing more that can be introduced that will noticeably increase speed and handling in modern day touring cars? Is Brushed and brushless at there limits?
LRP, Intellect, Futaba
rcstunt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

No. There's never a limit.
KyLayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:09 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Touring cars seem to be accepting one basic design apart from a few
Batterys NIMH atleast being pushed to the very limit and sometimes past it
Brushed/Brushless motors seem to be at a standstill in producing faster motors
LRP, Intellect, Futaba
rcstunt101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Barrier, I dont think so. We may be at crossroads at the moment though. There has been alot of R&D for TC's in the last 5-6years. Remember the TC3 when it came out, it was the $hit, but you wouldnt even consider one now, right? Give it time, and enjoy what we have now. Someone will think outside the box again (remember, Gil Losi is with Kyosho now, hmmm, could mean nothing, or...). New or refined ideas will come. (hats off to the MI3, very slick designer(s) tring to refine the current trends)
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:39 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You all know that the faster the RC cars get the slower we will be able to recruit new people/racers to this fantastic hobby!!!

Food for thought
Old 11-29-2007, 06:51 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastdude View Post
You all know that the faster the RC cars get the slower we will be able to recruit new people/racers to this fantastic hobby!!!

Food for thought
Well put. Perhaps the industry would grow faster (more revenue ) if the major manufacturers would come up with a solid sportsman type car/batt/motor.

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Quote:

Food for thought
Very wise words indeed, but with bl 17,5 motors being developed and made its good to see our hobby isnt all about 110% speed

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:09 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Current TC design is stuck...everyone else is pretty much copying each other's design and bowworing and incorporating things from other cars...they are pretty much just refining and making subttle changes to the cars to make them a bit more efficient and stronger in areas of need..the only fresh innovations have come from Shumcher Mi3, Losi Type R, and the New TM E4, which have new fresh design...the rest like:

HB Cyclone- nithing new, just revised/refined versions each year
Yok BD- nothing new, just revised/refined version
Xray t2- nothing new, revised/ refined versions
Tamiya TRF- you know the drill
AE TC5- new car, but not a new concept...same old...
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:17 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub

Quote:

Food for thought
Very true!

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:34 AM   #10
Tech Elite

TC design for NiMH has reached a plateau, most cars are very similar now, and refinements are incredibly small (1mm here, 0.5mm there). This is basically the layout that works best.

It would need someone to come out with a radical redesign (that works) to change things - unfortunately the only radical cars I can think of recently are the JRX-S and the E4, neither seems to have set the world on fire.

If LiPo ever becomes the standard, then you might see some redesigns, as the weight distribution with the LiPo is different.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:51 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

I agree there hasn't been any large changes to the TC layout other than a select few, but manufacturers still refine the design. To say that one layout is the best is impossible. The current layout trend has been going on for what, 2-3 years? How long was the shaft drive layout the "best as it's gonna get"? With Losi, TM, and a few others making crazy designs, its only a matter of time til the design trend changes again. With BL, and Lipo it'll happen very soon. I'm still waiting for in-board suspensions, .
KyLayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:01 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default new designs

I think the original 415 layout (what 90% of the tc's are based on) is the optimal design for nimh. It is certainly the most free and open. Having the batteries down the middle forces compromises; 3 belts or very short a-arms, etc. Also the 415 layout is equally good at belt or shaft drive, in terms of layout.

Since LIPO can theoretically be any size (rectangular), the layout of tc's could change dramatically. As it is now, lipo is made to fit into the nimh mold and space.

Inboard suspensions are a neat idea, but they add many more parts that can develop slop: Yokomo YR-F2 (10 years ago)
Attached Thumbnails
Are we at the barrier?-img_6150.jpg  

Last edited by billjacobs; 11-29-2007 at 08:43 AM.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:03 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyLayfield View Post
I'm still waiting for in-board suspensions, .
We had them with the Tenth Technology streetwise, and front inboard suspension is currently as standard on the TA05IFS, but yes it would be nice to see more of it imho

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:05 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:

Food for thought
I've always been astonished at some racers wanting more speed. At what point is it going to be fast enough?

I don't know a lot of the racers on these forums, yet, I can presume that the percentage of drivers is the same at most venues: Sponsored 1%, Veteran 10%, Newbie 25%, Casual 64%, etc.

Maybe we should shift our attention to driver skill now that the intoduction of brushless has happened.

Wouldn't it be a great race to see four cars battling for first, all within 3 seconds of each other for 5 (or 8) minutes?

Although NASCAR is a different apple than RC Onroad, racing IS racing. If a multi-Billion dollar establishment can impose a restrictor plate to keep safety up (for RC, durability) as well as competition, why can't we just accept that we are going fast enough?

I personally don't want to go faster, I want to go QUICKER. That meaning I want to find 1/10 of a second at each corner by improving my turn-in, and acceleration at the apex heading to the next corner. I also need to improve my strategies as I come up on back-markers for the pass and vice versa when I am the back-marker. (which is the case more often!)

A lot is to be said for the Trans-AM series that is happening at Trackside, in Montana and elsewhere. It has gone back to its roots as a driver's race, not a powerplant race.

IMO...

Allan
Centerline Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:17 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billjacobs View Post
Having the batteries down the middle forces compromises; 3 belts,
the losi has 2 belts, but for the most part, your right

didnt the pro3 have 3 belts, or was it 2?
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote