Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Who saw rctvlive about R.O.A.R. ? >

Who saw rctvlive about R.O.A.R. ?

Who saw rctvlive about R.O.A.R. ?

Old 11-28-2007, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Dawn thank you for your efforts! Then I guess what we need is to have ROAR call a meeting to make all the rules about Lipo. We need you to start talking and offically asking for the info you need from manufacturers and racers and begin the comunication process ASAP. Its the only way things are going to get done. What information do you need? What will the meetings cover? What are the specs or requirements Lipo will need to meet?

I'm sure Rick Howart and Tim Potter, Danny SMC, Orion and the rest will be more than happy to meet and discuss all matters and get this resolved ASAP.
When's the first meeting?
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by party_wagon
Guys I don't think you realize what is going to happen when lipos become race legal. nimh cells are going to disapear & it will help to increase the popularity of the hobby. You are going to start to see long 20 minute mains instead of triple mains, you will start to see more afordable race budgets, and quite honeslty I think everyone should run in the same class per chasis class, perhaps w/ a pro & sportsman like you see w/ the 1/8th scale buggies and 2wd nitro. Imagine if world class driver's battery, esc, & motor costs for 2 years of racing in one class set him back less then $500. I see people go through more then that in a race weekend. This is the direction electric is headed in, the only variation from class to class will be the chasis. If roar doesn't want to lead the way for classes such as this then you will see local tracks & clubs lead the way as many are already doing.
And a race like Cleveland will run from Thanksgiving till Xmas eve. LOL
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
We can suggest things like 7.4V max, hard case, plugs for easy disconnect in case of a failure, some safety standard, etc.

The question is why would it be a free for all? Chassis designs, weight, and weight distributiion would limit what you can practically do. Batteries are the biggest problem now with NiMH. When it is not battery failures, it is legalization, new cells, inconsistent rules, etc. Opening it up to any 7.4V LiPo battery (assuming other rules are met) would avoid the problems we have faced with NiMH.

I wouldn't mind opening it up even further, like what was done with the 20-minute LiPo truck class at the nats...LiPo - BL - 20 minutes - make it happen.
Exactly!

The Lipo/BL event at the off road electric nats was awesome....

Lets get this done..!! 7.4V max, hard case, plugs for easy disconnect in case of a failure, some safety standard, etc.

This can't be that hard.. is it?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default ROAR works.

It is nice to see people engaged in a productive conversation. Like ROAR or not, we believe they are going in the right direction. It may take some prodding by its members to get things to move at a faster pace but we do feel it will get there. Stay positive and don’t be afraid to email your ROAR representative and tell them what YOU want. They work for you. We will be having more discussion about ROAR in the very near future. Thanks for watching. Jeff www.rctvlive.com
Old 11-28-2007, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

I believe the manufcturers will only build chassis to take advantage of the as much battery is required ot run a race. In the case of TC now, it is 4200mAH, which is a LiPo size that will fit in most cars. Amking room or a chassis for bigger batteries is pointless. They may do it, but who is going to buy a racing chassis that can hold a 10000 mAH battery? Especially if you do a rule that limits chassis weight minus the battery.

Another thing with LiPo is that most development is with the C rating. So as batteries get better, they do not get bigger.

My opinion is that chassis manufacturers will limit the size of the batteries in their designs. This is my theory:-)
R. Howart, Tim Potter, Dawn Sanchez- you should all be running ROAR!!
Old 11-28-2007, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RCTVLIVE
It is nice to see people engaged in a productive conversation. Like ROAR or not, we believe they are going in the right direction. It may take some prodding by its members to get things to move at a faster pace but we do feel it will get there. Stay positive and don’t be afraid to email your ROAR representative and tell them what YOU want. They work for you. We will be having more discussion about ROAR in the very near future. Thanks for watching. Jeff www.rctvlive.com
yep!! I can't believe I have agreed with everything said on a thread dedicated to ROAR....

this is nice... productive conversation without one name being called... LOL

Jeff - thank you to you and Mike for your show on 11/5!! And yes, lets get together to work out a Q&A session so the membership gets to ask what they need to and hopefully we can give an intelligent answer. (I'm shy with public speaking though.. so I think I'll have our promotions director contact you! LOL)
Old 11-28-2007, 02:42 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Exactly!

Lets get this done..!! 7.4V max, hard case, plugs for easy disconnect in case of a failure, some safety standard, etc.

The way this is going, I`ll be attending the mod off-road nats yet .....

sorry ......
Old 11-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez
Exactly!

Orion and CORE RC lipo's already meet these standards...so why not allow them already?

Who do you need to talk to to make this happen? When can a meeting be set up? What is the process like to get this approved for 2008?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Also suggest charging rules that absolutely ban any charger or charging practice that gets the voltage of LiPo cells over 4.2/cell. It will yield more voltage, which is what racers will try to get, but will also lead to many catastrophic failures. Whatever you do going forward, please do not ignore this. There should be a penalty, like a ban from the organization if you're caught breaking this rule.

It can be enforced/teched with a voltmeter. A 2 cell battery should NEVER be over 8.4v after it comes off the charger.
My #1 thing with lipo has always been that people will push the envelope as soon as the "serious" guys get into it. These are the same guys who charge @10A currently.
I hope that something like this can be enforced practically. What was done at the offroad race?
Old 11-28-2007, 02:50 PM
Tech Elite

I believe the manufcturers will only build chassis to take advantage of the as much battery is required ot run a race. In the case of TC now, it is 4200mAH, which is a LiPo size that will fit in most cars. Amking room or a chassis for bigger batteries is pointless. They may do it, but who is going to buy a racing chassis that can hold a 10000 mAH battery? Especially if you do a rule that limits chassis weight minus the battery.

Another thing with LiPo is that most development is with the C rating. So as batteries get better, they do not get bigger.

My opinion is that chassis manufacturers will limit the size of the batteries in their designs. This is my theory:-)
Rick is in the know! Schumacher Mi3 was designed with the Orion 4800 Platinum packs in mind to be able to run them, as well as CoreRC5000mah packs...Xray T2'008 EU also designed their car to fit the orion 4800 size pack, HB Cyclone, Losi Type R, Tamiya TRF 416, AE TC5, etc...all these cars, which make up the majority of cars being run today, can all run with those size packs...
Old 11-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by robk
My #1 thing with lipo has always been that people will push the envelope as soon as the "serious" guys get into it. These are the same guys who charge @10A currently.
I hope that something like this can be enforced practically. What was done at the offroad race?
The only thing those 10amp guys will achieve with the Li-Po is a faster charge with no noticeable change in power....

Ask Rick....
Old 11-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All the documentations ive read does not show performance gains by abusing the charge settings.

Rick, Dawn. A separate trial/exibition class sound like it will be the best idea for the mean time just like the last off road nats. Participation in this class will give a good indication or interest for lipo/bl racing.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

You cant really do that w/ lipo...they work diffrently than nimh...and most chargers dont allow to charge lipo at over a 2C rate, which is the most than they can be charged at at this time, safely...also the 2c charge rate will not give someone a faster run, either, I dont think...
Old 11-28-2007, 02:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottrik
So who's looking at the effect of implementation of LiPo in 1/12? Sedans are easy...7.2v-7.4v who cares? The challenge in 1/12 is that the voltage used is almost exactly half-way between the steps allowed by 3.7v cells.

I've seen a few people playing around the fringes of this but haven't seen a truly workable solution that is easily enforceable. The closest I've seen to "workable" was this past weekend in Denver a fellow was running a regulator on a 2-cell LiPo. The challenge is how to enforce regulator settings, etc.

Exciting times.
The only way to really make this work is saddle 7.4v packs and and probably 17.5 and 21.5 in place of 10.5 and 13.5. This will probably make everybody mad that they "have to buy different motors", but unless they can come up with a better voltage, that is what we have to work with.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Francis M.
All the documentations ive read does not show performance gains by abusing the charge settings.

Rick, Dawn. A separate trial/exibition class sound like it will be the best idea for the mean time just like the last off road nats. Participation in this class will give a good indication or interest for lipo/bl racing.
That's just delaying things...the technology works and its been doing great for yrs now...for example, at the ROAR REGIonals race in South Florida a few weeks ago, it seemed like the majority of drivers were using the Orion and CORERC Lipo and Brushless...the winner in 19T was Serpent driver "LilB" Bryan running his lipo and brushless system along with several others in that class, as well as stock and mod...At many clubs this is the norm...just allow it run...this is not some unknown new thing...its allready being widely used and run by sponsored drivers...its time for ROAR to step it up!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.