R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-28-2007, 10:55 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Dawn and the rest of ROAR officials: 2 big issues many are interested in to know the truth about what ROAR has done or will do about them:

Electric touring: 1)when will you approve Lipo? Are you for Lipo or against, and will encased lipos be the only ones allowed and by when?

2) Touring car weight limit- at 1525g, they are heavier than necessary...especially for those who run Lipo...will this be revised? Cant it be dropped at least 75-100g...electric cars will be easier to drive and less stress on the equipment and cars...
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #17
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Sanchez View Post
1. Thank you.
2. Yes, AWESOME selection..!!!
3. Sanctioning Director.... will be announced soon officially

Forum: working on a new website.... interactive for region directors to post their own information and easier to update with upcoming news announcements. Personally, I'm not in favor of a ROAR forum as in the past some people forget common decency while using a keyboard... But, I'm sure we could figure something out.....
Dawn, if the forum is set up correctly and have anyone that wants to join using their ROAR ID and personal information this would help to elimanate anon posters....
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:09 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Dawn Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim View Post
Dawn and the rest of ROAR officials: 2 big issues many are interested in to know the truth about what ROAR has done or will do about them:

Electric touring: 1)when will you approve Lipo? Are you for Lipo or against, and will encased lipos be the only ones allowed and by when?

2) Touring car weight limit- at 1525g, they are heavier than necessary...especially for those who run Lipo...will this be revised? Cant it be dropped at least 75-100g...electric cars will be easier to drive and less stress on the equipment and cars...
1. I am all in favor of Lipo.... with encasings for safety. I am not buying that batteries blow up (NiMH) on their own... what I see is overcharging.. so therefore, we might have to comment on charging specs and guidelines in the book. Lipo is coming... yes, I can confirm that. I would be in favor of stating voltage, unlimited mah and hard casings... when we can get some size specs from manufacturers and chassis companies to ensure our rules are not causing problems for the industry.

2. I will ask Tim Potter, On Road Electric Committee chairperson to comment on that one. I am hoping that very discussion is in review as I type this with the committee.
Dawn Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer View Post
Dawn, if the forum is set up correctly and have anyone that wants to join using their ROAR ID and personal information this would help to elimanate anon posters....

I like this idea.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:10 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Quote:
1. Thank you.
2. Yes, AWESOME selection..!!!
3. Sanctioning Director.... will be announced soon officially

Forum: working on a new website.... interactive for region directors to post their own information and easier to update with upcoming news announcements. Personally, I'm not in favor of a ROAR forum as in the past some people forget common decency while using a keyboard... But, I'm sure we could figure something out.....
Being an AMA member and comparing the ROAR to AMA site is horrible... I can do everything online on the AMA site and get a ton of more info than ROAR has...

Quote:

Make them heavier... Lighter will just make the companies make more fragile cars...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:14 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny View Post
Being an AMA member and comparing the ROAR to AMA site is horrible... I can do everything online on the AMA site and get a ton of more info than ROAR has...
While I appreciate the comparison... please remember the number of members in AMA with fees paid to the organization and able to be utilized as expenses for non profit generating items such as websites and the count of ROAR members and the minimal fee to become a member.

I'm not trying to make excuses but honestly, we have what we have due to cost factors. Although...... with that said..... we are currently working on a new site that has the ability to gain more information by using the region directors talents more efficiently. Communication is the key.... and ROAR gets it!
Old 11-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Johan,

The weight item has been discussed before. While it is important, our feelings are that the Lipo legality is paramount right now. We have discussed these items, and when we have some definitive comments, I will make sure they are posted. Please remember, Lipos are an issue that spans all different classes.

Quote:

Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:27 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
While I appreciate the comparison... please remember the number of members in AMA with fees paid to the organization and able to be utilized as expenses for non profit generating items such as websites and the count of ROAR members and the minimal fee to become a member.

I'm not trying to make excuses but honestly, we have what we have due to cost factors. Although...... with that said..... we are currently working on a new site that has the ability to gain more information by using the region directors talents more efficiently. Communication is the key.... and ROAR gets it!
ROAR membership is $30 a year, AMA is $58 plus my son who is a Jr and it costs me a dollar for him... So for $28 more, I get a full color magazine to read on the bowl every month...

I guess the difference is I need the AMA when I go to any of the 3 flying fields within 20 miles of my house... The only time I'll need the ROAR is when I head to the 5th scale nats...

BUT... My club is going ROAR so everyone who runs with us in 08 is going to need ROAR...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:33 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Make them heavier... Lighter will just make the companies make more fragile cars...[/QUOTE]

The cars are light...that's not the pblm...its the nimh batteries that are very heavy that cause the pblms...With a an Orion Lipo 4800mah for example, an Xray t2'007 car weighs in at around 1300g, and its tough as nails(Xray's makes their cars pretty tough)...but then you'd have to add 225g in lead weight to the car to meet the current 1525g weight limit for 6 cell nimh TC's...

Those running 5 cell nimh also have to add weight to make the 1525g weight rule...it just seems the rule needs to be updated a bit to have 5 cell and lipo drivers in mind...heck even 6 cell nimh cars dont need to be so heavy...EFRA and the BRCA have changed their minimum weight rules for 5 cell racing, although here in the US 5 cell racing is not the norm, yet...but it is faster in mod and many have turned to it for mod racing here in the US and the EU...the benefits of less power and lighter weight are obvius...I think the same should happen with LIPOs...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl1180ny View Post
ROAR membership is $30 a year, AMA is $58 plus my son who is a Jr and it costs me a dollar for him... So for $28 more, I get a full color magazine to read on the bowl every month...

I guess the difference is I need the AMA when I go to any of the 3 flying fields within 20 miles of my house... The only time I'll need the ROAR is when I head to the 5th scale nats...

BUT... My club is going ROAR so everyone who runs with us in 08 is going to need ROAR...

yes, 58.00 for over 30,000 members... thats a bit of coin that ROAR does not have... with 4500 members......

but thats not the point.

ROAR membership should be more valuable to people IF there were more participation in regions and track affiliates... My thing is, why not start at that level and get more races going... therefore more membership and then, more amenities ROAR can offer.....

its more than making regional championships count for more... its about getting more tracks involved in ROAR and find a way to get the new racers out there excited at the prospect of one day gaining a title.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:39 AM   #26

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The #1 change ROAR needs to make is to make ROAR useful and relevant again. Right now you have the real world (IIC, Snowbirds, etc.) and ROAR world (nationals.) It feels like there is more prestige in winning a real world race over a ROAR race..IMO.

I know many people turn their backs on ROAR races because of this, or many go because they have too...so many changes need to be addressed that it's pretty overwhelming. Like many, I've personally given up on them..

All I can say is good luck, ROAR...we'll see what happens in 5 years...
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:46 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimPotter View Post
Johan,

The weight item has been discussed before. While it is important, our feelings are that the Lipo legality is paramount right now. We have discussed these items, and when we have some definitive comments, I will make sure they are posted. Please remember, Lipos are an issue that spans all different classes.
OK...so the plan is to first work on getting them legal with all the rules that would regulate them, etc, and then work on a weight limit review? That sounds very good...

But how will this work? For example, when ROAR approves lipos, and allows lets say only hard cased, 7.4v, up to 25C, etc., for 2009 Carpet and Paved Nationals, how will racing be set up....

13.5 and Stock- 6 cell nimh or 7.4v lipo at "X" weight
10.5 and 19T - 6 cell nimh or 7.4v lipo at "X" weight
Mod- brushed or brushless with 7.4V Lipo, 5 cell nimh, 6 cell nimh, at "X"weight

In stock and 19T classes they run 6 cell and 7.4 for basically the same power
, but the huge difference is the weight of the 6 cell Nimh vs the Lipo...

in mod, it seems a bit more complex since there's the 5 cell guys, who are usually 70-80g under the 6 cell nimh cars...just would like you to please coment on what has come up to deal with these issues, suggestions, etc, if anything yet...
Old 11-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Quote:
yes, 58.00 for over 30,000 members... thats a bit of coin that ROAR does not have... with 4500 members......

but thats not the point.

ROAR membership should be more valuable to people IF there were more participation in regions and track affiliates... My thing is, why not start at that level and get more races going... therefore more membership and then, more amenities ROAR can offer.....

its more than making regional championships count for more... its about getting more tracks involved in ROAR and find a way to get the new racers out there excited at the prospect of one day gaining a title.
I think that ROAR leadership has to also be led by those who embrace the new technology and look to keep an open mind...that's why i'm so happy with our local Tim Potter, who has embraced brushless and Lipo, and has done great things to promote it and fight for the new/better technology, which is all about making the hobby much more easier and enjoyable and innexpensive for those new members and racers Dawn Sanchez mentions are needed...

At our local track there are many who have given electric touring another chance just because of the simplicity and ease of Brusheless and lipo...yet somethimes the local racer or ROAR member might feel like ROAR is run by "old timers" afraid of the new tech, and interests of the companies running the and selling the old tech, which is drawing more and more people away...I'm Glad to see that Dawn Sanchez has some common sense, as we ll as Tim Potter, and they actually support and welcome the new Brushless and Lipo tech and are trying to get ROAR to make hte right changes to allow them and regulate racing with them in fair manner, which will only bring one things to EP racing: an RC Revolution! ROAR will have many, many more fans and members, and its races will definately be held in high esteem and prestige.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DavidAlford

Why change the weight rule and punish us that don't want to run a lipo?
Old 11-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I think that ROAR leadership has to also be led by those who embrace the new technology and look to keep an open mind...that's why i'm so happy with our local Tim Potter, who has embraced brushless and Lipo, and has done great things to promote it and fight for the new/better technology, which is all about making the hobby much more easier and enjoyable and innexpensive for those new members and racers Dawn Sanchez mentions are needed...

At our local track there are many who have given electric touring another chance just because of the simplicity and ease of Brusheless and lipo...yet somethimes the local racer or ROAR member might feel like ROAR is run by "old timers" afraid of the new tech, and interests of the companies running the and selling the old tech, which is drawing more and more people away...I'm Glad to see that Dawn Sanchez has some common sense, as we ll as Tim Potter, and they actually support and welcome the new Brushless and Lipo tech and are trying to get ROAR to make hte right changes to allow them and regulate racing with them in fair manner, which will only bring one things to EP racing: an RC Revolution! ROAR will have many, many more fans and members, and its races will definately be held in high esteem and prestige.

I'm for new technology especially when it is convenient but I wouldn't expect roar to start making weight changes for one type of battery that puts out as much as NIMH anyway. Another thing to consider is that roar has to somewhat review IFMAR rules so that our ROAR members who actually race worlds events won't be at a disadvantage racing a class with rules that are not even close to the other sanctioning bodies.....