R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-22-2007, 10:39 AM   #211
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

for racing a pack once a week, just one time on the race day, what would u recomend........ leave whatever charge is left after the run or tray them and put back charge on the pack? if the later how much?
Old 12-22-2007, 10:47 AM   #212
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you run stock classes you should just leave what is in the pack after your last run of the day. The following week make sure to discharge and equalize the cells then use them once in practice or cycle them once prior to running them in a qualifier or main.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #213
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

oops.....forgot to mention, im running mod. 3.5 motors on a large 800ft long track. so runtime is very improtant.

Last edited by Island Losi; 12-22-2007 at 11:32 AM.
Island Losi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #214
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst View Post
So what makes this cell any different to the IB/EP cells that have caused so much issue.... same AV, so I assume the IR is low to....
What EP issue?? I've seen 4 blue bombs go of at the track the last 2 months, and no EP's. All my Slingshot EP 4200's are awesome cells. There is no "EP issue" from what I see from slingshot cells.
Verndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #215
Tech Regular

verndog he is not talking about exploding batteries? where in his post do you see mention of exploding cells? errrrrrrrrrr

he is asking if the new energ cells will self discharge on there own in your battery box and lose 45 seconds of run time in 2 weeks like the IB and EP cells do!
MOTHER FOCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:51 PM   #216
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
As cells are being shipped with storage charge in them and that every cell self discharges at it's own rate it's important to run/cycle the pack once before it gets used in important racing conditions. So the key is to discharge and tray the pack prior to its first charge and then it should be good to race. As you will store the packs with charge the next time you go to race it you should repeat the same process.
The packs I use are cycled with a spintec batman and a novak smart tray. They are also always 'broke in' before used for the first time on the track. The method I use has only produced one bad ib4200 cell, even then the pack it came from had over 50 cycles on it. Basically I'm trying to say; I must be doing something right.

But as I said, I will try charging at a higher amp rate to bring up the temp. On this note; what temp do these cells perform the best at, all things considered?
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:59 PM   #217
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Here is what we use on our team with awsome results..

Discharge 30amps Pulse to .090 per cell
Then Linar 5 amps to .080 per cell
Charge 7-8 amps with .03 cut off peak detect with GFX
Run Pack
Let pack cool
Pulse discharge to .090 per cell
Install 1500 mah for storage
redo process for next week

If running same pack 2 times a day which we do ,lots oftimes 3 times.. we just let pack cool after run and start with pulse process all over before next run. This has worked well with all cells in past....

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #218
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AChupp2

When you guys talk about letting the cells cool down, how long do they need to cool down? It is easy to get an idea of the temp on the outside of the cell but my understanding is that the inside of the cell will be hotter than the outside, therefore just because the outside is cool doesn't mean the inside is.
AChupp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #219
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChupp2 View Post
When you guys talk about letting the cells cool down, how long do they need to cool down? It is easy to get an idea of the temp on the outside of the cell but my understanding is that the inside of the cell will be hotter than the outside, therefore just because the outside is cool doesn't mean the inside is.
Hey Andrew,

Thats a pretty good question. Generally I believe that what you say is true if you use a fan to cool the packs after discharging them. If you let them cool naturally then they generally cool off internally about the same as externally. I usually wont charge them after a long discharge (such as after a run) for at least 1-1.5 hours. So for club racing it may make it hard to run them in back to back races.

If you use a fan to cool them down the external temp will drop to ambient temp in just 15-20 minutes but the internal temp will still be there.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #220
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

I usualy run 2 packs per class. Discharge and tray the 1st heat's pack right after use and then let site until I need to charge it for the Main. This way, that pack has been ran and all the little gerbals in the cells are ready to rock and the performance will be better the second time around.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:19 PM   #221
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

What is the popular discharge method (ie..smart tray, dpd, MM) and tray (battery doctor, novak) ????
Old 12-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #222
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

Dischargers...

MM CTX-D I/II
Trinity DPD
New Wave
20-30 linear dischargelike on a GFX..
Good ole set of 1157 discharge bulbs with a cutoff..

Trays...
MM CTX-D I/II
Trinity DPD
New Wave
Novak Smart Tray I/II
Battery Doctor.. (Althought it does have a .5 cuttof per cell which to my knowledge is bad.
Any Integy with a .9 cutoff

Prolly more
Old 12-22-2007, 04:33 PM   #223
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Thanks. Are any of these preferred over the others?
Old 12-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #224
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Hey Andrew,

Thats a pretty good question. Generally I believe that what you say is true if you use a fan to cool the packs after discharging them. If you let them cool naturally then they generally cool off internally about the same as externally. I usually wont charge them after a long discharge (such as after a run) for at least 1-1.5 hours. So for club racing it may make it hard to run them in back to back races.

If you use a fan to cool them down the external temp will drop to ambient temp in just 15-20 minutes but the internal temp will still be there.

EA
Exactally..We never use fans during charge or cooldown periods or anytime at that.. We also run Much More products...

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:28 AM   #225
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For those of you who expect the EnerG cells to have the same reliability as the older generation NiMH cells your wrong. There is no way to make the voltage as high and the IR as low and have the cells not selfdischarge fairly fast.

I can say that the EnerG cells selfdischarge a bit slower than the IB cells and that when they do go below 1 volt they don't lose as much runtime but they do lose some.

I believe we can release a cell that doesn't have the fast selfdischarge issue but this cell would have lower capacity and lower voltage with higher IR. I don't think many of you would like to give up the speed.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote