Wiki Posts
Search

Best 1/12 scale for beginner 1/12'er

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Best 1/12 scale for beginner 1/12'er

Been racing for along time mostly offroad. I know how to set up cars but was wondering what's a good 1/12 scale car to start with. There's so many out there it's almost as bad as TC! Lol

Opinions?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:01 PM
Uga
Tech Regular

First - if you know how to set-up an off-rad car you'll have to learn EVERYTHING about 12th scale set-upping. The AE RC12L4 would be a great car to start, there's nothing simpler than that. My personal choice is BMI DB12R, choosed it because it looked great, has some interesting features, includes a lot of IRS parts in stock kit, which are an upgrade for the most of other cars and a GREAT customer service from Jason and Adrian. But you really can't go wrong with any of the 12th scales in the market!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Been racing for along time mostly offroad. I know how to set up cars but was wondering what's a good 1/12 scale car to start with. There's so many out there it's almost as bad as TC! Lol

Opinions?
yea id say stick with the associated 12l4l, get your feet wet,learn move on, the kit is like 160?pretty cheap and simple,great beginner car

Edit by Mod > Either PM or put it for sale in the For Sale Forum

tommy

Last edited by TimPotter; 11-27-2007 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Wrong Content
Old 11-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Our track started a "novice" class this year. It seems to be growing and the guys like it as they dont' have to run with the guys that have been running awhile. MOST of the cars in that class are 12l3's that the track itself put together and "rented" or "loaned" out to people interested in trying. We've even had a couple guys buy one of the "rentals" as they were very cost effective. You can find L3's for $60ish here, ebay, hobbytalk etc. the electronics that fit in that, will fit in antoher car should you decide you really like it and want to upgrade. Parts are easy to find as they are the same parts that are on alot of today's 12th scales.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

If you are going to get a 12L4 (good choice), I would wait till the L5 comes out and then you'll get yourself a real bargain from a shop trying to sell off their L4's cheap. The only car I would not recommend as a beginner is the Corally SP12X. Its a great car but has durability issues. L4 is a great choice.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Which ever one you decide to get, just keep a few things in mind. What can/does your lhs stock parts for. What do others race at your club, incase you break something and need a part, or they can help with some set-up tips. I myself just bought a 1/12 scale on Saturday. I ended up with a CRC Generation X. My reasons were as I stated above, everyone here is running them (except one 1 guy) and if I break something and dont have the part our lhs stocks them and other have them as well.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Uga
Tech Regular

The 12th scale hardly ever brakes I've broken 3 or 4 antenas over 2 years. For each car there are a few specific parts you should always hold in your pit-box and the rest is usually interchangable with other cars Well, except the Corraly, it really differs a lot!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

12L4 all the way. Get a couple a spare T-pieces and a couple of sets of front springs as spares, build as per kit and race. It's the same car Jon Orr used to come second at the 2006 Worlds, and it's great for any driver, but especially a beginner.

As a next step up if you like it, the BMI car is great. Their build instructions for the front end are excellent, and you can download that from their site. HTH
Old 11-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

FWIW, my first 1/12th scale was and still is the older CRC Carpet Knife. I had some pan car stuff left over from oval, so I just bought their conversion kit, it was like 100 bucks. CRC's stuff is made real nice and parts are very easy to get since its quite common. I have gone through quite a few bodies (I really suck at carpet) but I haven't broken anything on the car other than an aluminum standoff that Associated makes. Setup is real easy on it and doesn't change much.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by wingman2
If you are going to get a 12L4 (good choice), I would wait till the L5 comes out and then you'll get yourself a real bargain from a shop trying to sell off their L4's cheap. The only car I would not recommend as a beginner is the Corally SP12X. Its a great car but has durability issues. L4 is a great choice.
when is the l5's going to be available?>i want 1 to...lol
Old 11-27-2007, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Wait moment L5
Old 11-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
Wait moment L5
Is that a question?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My suggestion would be to take a hard look at the new BMI DBI 12. I just got one and I very happy with it for a lot of reasons.

1. Dedicated racer/ owner with constant R/D.
2. Jason's customer service is top notch.
3. DBR is a quality kit that needs no hop ups, even the bearings, which
often overlooked, are the best, all at a very competive price.
4. Their new rear end design allows you to spend more time to race and
tune rather than chase a tweak.
5. This car work really good.

If what you're seriously looking to get into 12th scale racing. Call him up and you will see what I am talking about. Anyways... good luck.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by convikt
Is that a question?
japanese translation...

What bout the L5..?
Old 11-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Tech Adept

The only car I would not recommend as a beginner is the Corally SP12X. Its a great car but has durability issues. L4 is a great choice.
Wingman: I believe the release of the 12x WC edition about a month ago (with the AE style front end) cured any front end durability issues, and I also believe the rear pod graphite has been beefed up. The only two 12x WC cars in the stock class at Cleveland (as far as I know) qualified 1st and 13th (the latter less than 0.9 sec. out of the A).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.