Tech Elite

gen-x
sweet
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 1st car

lots of races are still being won with L4's, however most guys who use them eventually find the need to get several upgrades which raise the invested cost substantially. If you wanted a tbar car, then the CRC tfource is much like an L4 except that it comes with all the desired deluxe goodies. No upgrades necessary. And if you want a bit more adjustability, then CRC's genX is the cat's meow for that type of car. For simplicity and ease of use......I'd suggest the tfource, but for the absolute top of the food chain (just look at the results from the recent 07 Cleveland Indoor Championships).....the domination of the genX design is pretty hard to overlook. Either way the CRC offerings are great cars and fully capable of winning at the highest level of competition.
vafactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeardmore View Post
japanese translation...

What bout the L5..?

Thanks, I hope it wasnt taken the wrong way
convikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 12:58 AM   #19
Tech Master

I think a 12x is a great car (I had one for a while) but where you would break a t bar with a associated car, you break a t bar, the support brace below it and the graphite lower pod brace too on a 12x. They break pretty easily and are expensive to replace (compared to a associated setup). That was my only gripe with that car (aprt from the torque tube not being long enough for the bearing holders which stripped gears like you would n't beleive!) and would be the reason why I would n't recommend it to a beginner.
wingman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:30 AM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

Any crc carpet knife from a rec 3.1 to a gen x

They are by far the most durable car on the market, and it is a proven winner. Also you can use a 4 cell straight pack.
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

I would have to say that the best car for a beginner would have to be an older Corally, any of the G series. They are easy as can be to set up, and are very durable. The price is not too bad on them either.
Team Horsepower
grossinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

I'd recommend you get a car that's popular at your local track. That way you can get tuning advice and there will be plenty of spares floating around for you when you break parts.

James
Yankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankey View Post
I'd recommend you get a car that's popular at your local track. That way you can get tuning advice and there will be plenty of spares floating around for you when you break parts.

James
Don't listen to Yankee -he is in his first year and just learning the 12 scale ropes himself. I would highly recommend the CRC Gen-X!
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Any of the top cars out there will do well for you and tuning each is very much the same so racers there should be able to help you with setup even if they run a different car. One thing to consider is what Yankee said...what parts are available at your track. If you don't mind waiting for a mail order shipment of parts that is fine...but if you break during a race and don't have spares that could be the difference between the end of your race day or being able to repair it and getting back on the track. Many parts are interchangeable between most of the 1/12th scales...but some are not.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Otis... We all ran 13.5 last week. When are you going to visit again?

Agreed that experienced people can help with any car, but it's way easier when you are running the same car. Check with the local fast guys...

Gen-X is a great choice. It works with a variety of setups and you have great parts support from the CRC website.

James
Yankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:24 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossinator View Post
I would have to say that the best car for a beginner would have to be an older Corally, any of the G series. They are easy as can be to set up, and are very durable. The price is not too bad on them either.
As much as I loved the older Corally G series cars (the G2 was possibly my favorite of all) I'd have to say that I'[d avoid them at the moment... The battery trays won't accept the newer cells, and while that could possibly be fixed without too much effort, the fact that they use Corally specific rims would pretty much kill it for me.

on the other hand, if the parts for the SP12X that allow it to run american rims can be used on the older G series cars, then disregard what I just said... in fact, if anyone knows if this is possible, please say so... I have an old G2 I'd LOVE to take out of mothballs and run again...
Old 12-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #27
RLS
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
As much as I loved the older Corally G series cars (the G2 was possibly my favorite of all) I'd have to say that I'[d avoid them at the moment... The battery trays won't accept the newer cells, and while that could possibly be fixed without too much effort, the fact that they use Corally specific rims would pretty much kill it for me.

on the other hand, if the parts for the SP12X that allow it to run american rims can be used on the older G series cars, then disregard what I just said... in fact, if anyone knows if this is possible, please say so... I have an old G2 I'd LOVE to take out of mothballs and run again...
This kit will let you run U.S. rims on the older Corally 1/12th cars. The front end parts worked great. The rear took some tinkering to get just right but for some it was worth the effort. Cheers

http://cgi.ebay.com/Corally-SP-10-SP...QQcmdZViewItem
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:52 AM   #28
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

You really cant go wrong with a BMI DB12R Jason and Adrian are second to none

Now where's mine Jason????
Old 12-12-2007, 01:28 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

You can buy front axles that will let you run american tires, and corally has a conversion kit so you can build a rear axle that accepts american tires, i ran both on my g3 and loved it.
Team Horsepower
grossinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grossinator View Post
You can buy front axles that will let you run american tires, and corally has a conversion kit so you can build a rear axle that accepts american tires, i ran both on my g3 and loved it.

Yes the corally is a nice car but why go to all that hasle and expense when you can get a top notch car and have to tinker and change it. I'd recomend the new BMI DB12R or the new Hyperdrive pro3 1/12, both are solid cars with lots of support. But if your looking to do this on a budget find a used L4, I seee them listed everday with all the nice upgrades for $100-$150 as rollers.
chris moore is offline   Reply With Quote