Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Why hasn't Yokomo come out with a new car? >

Why hasn't Yokomo come out with a new car?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why hasn't Yokomo come out with a new car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Why hasn't Yokomo come out with a new car?

Hello All,

The title of the thread speaks for itself. What's going on with Yokomo? Are they focusing all of their efforts on drifting and off road?
Old 11-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Originally Posted by killabee
Hello All,

The title of the thread speaks for itself. What's going on with Yokomo? Are they focusing all of their efforts on drifting and off road?
The BDM is still competitive, granted the design is 4 years old... Drifting and off road are currently More popular than Touring Sedan... i know that there have been a few Proto-types running around Japan and Europe.. if there is a Demand i belive Yokomo will release a new Trouring Kit. and it is also a On road Wolds year so who knows what Masami and Company have up the sleev's
Old 11-23-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (98%+)

Ahhhh the million dollar question.
I drove Yokomo cars for the last 5 years and have just made the switch to another brand.
It became apparant to me that Yokomo really appear to concentrate on their Japenese market, by that i mean, the Australian distrubitor never receives any updates from Yokomo about new products/cars, and even spares are hard to get from Yokomo, if the distrubitor was to ring Yokomo Japan, the only one that could speak english was Masami, and if he wasnt there they would just hung the phone up.
The BD is a great car and has done me well, but it is a bit dated compared to some of the cars out there now, by the looks of this thread im not the only one that thinks this.
Rhys
Old 11-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think Yokomo is all about drifters, easy money.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if it is not broke why fix it?

the only parts needed are caster blocks, steering knuckles and rear uprights....only because they are swaped out for the HB stuff. other than that the car is great. does not take much rollcenterchanges to get the car going. the internal ratio is still one of the lowest on the market--lower is LOSI and Xray T2+ i think.

maybe a 5 cell chassis?.....but the team guys say that the car is perfect balence as is. the diffs hold up great.......maybe new outdrives like Xray?

and lastly its a business after all.......why make new parts when people could go buy the HB stuff? how will they make a proifit? if there is no demand then no car will come.

but i still love my Yokomo BDM
Old 11-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Tech Master

Since Masaaki Hirosaka have leave Yokomo, they give up to release new chassis 2-3 times per year.
Maybe this 1 should be the answer.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

The chassis is NOT perfectly balanced for 5 cell, it can be made balanced with the use of weights, like most chassis.
The Corally Phi has changable FDR by changing pulleys, it can go from 1.7 to 2.4.
One strange thing is the BDM kit which is their top line race car, is not made for mod, it comes with dual oneways, they do offer a fixed centre pulley, but the plastic spool is very brittle and the alloy spool chopped out after only 3 packs, the team drivers file the slots and run blades, the car requires a LOT of extra work to get it up to spec.
Yokomo is a SMALL company and i think thats the way they like it.
Rhys
Old 11-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Yokomo doesn't release plastic model kits and other playful kinds like Tamiya or Kyosho, but doesn't mean is small.
At least it was recognized internationally to be high quality RC chassis manufacturer.
If BD it's good enough, why Masami is beat by HB Cyclone and TRF416 drivers?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Yokomo IS a small company, they dont manufactor their parts, there done by outside contractors, they are just a warehouse and packaging office, yes they dont have any cheap plastic kits like others.
The reason Yokomo do so well is because of Masami, and he is starting to taper down on his racing.
Rhys
Old 11-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

Yokomo Parts Are really Cheap Against all European manufacturers...
BD has some isues but 2007 UK National Champion Drives BD and Beat the world champion who drives Cyclone
Old 11-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah Grainger, and he did well with the car, but at big races like the worlds, Masami is always the best Yokomo, and thats because he is a freak of a driver, look at where he placed the worlds SD car, no other Yokomo driver was even close.
Yokomo have a great car, it just needs to be updated.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by crabboy
Yeah Grainger, and he did well with the car, but at big races like the worlds, Masami is always the best Yokomo, and thats because he is a freak of a driver, look at where he placed the worlds SD car, no other Yokomo driver was even close.
Yokomo have a great car, it just needs to be updated.
Same can be said for Marc Reinhard and Tamiya.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Way more Tamiyas out there than Yokomos, and Marc has a lot more years left in him than Masami does.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by crabboy
The chassis is NOT perfectly balanced for 5 cell, it can be made balanced with the use of weights, like most chassis.
The Corally Phi has changable FDR by changing pulleys, it can go from 1.7 to 2.4.
One strange thing is the BDM kit which is their top line race car, is not made for mod, it comes with dual oneways, they do offer a fixed centre pulley, but the plastic spool is very brittle and the alloy spool chopped out after only 3 packs, the team drivers file the slots and run blades, the car requires a LOT of extra work to get it up to spec.
Yokomo is a SMALL company and i think thats the way they like it.
Rhys
other cars come with one-ways so i guess they are not for mod either? i run the BDM with a Mamba 6900 and all i did was get the Alu diff and spool yes there is wear but not as fast u put it.

anyway........whatever Yokomo does or don't do would not be the end of the world

Originally Posted by mac853
Yokomo doesn't release plastic model kits and other playful kinds like Tamiya or Kyosho, but doesn't mean is small.
At least it was recognized internationally to be high quality RC chassis manufacturer.
If BD it's good enough, why Masami is beat by HB Cyclone and TRF416 drivers?
After qualifing in the TOP 3, in A3 had hard luck and traction rolled. sometimes its not your day.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Seem like Yokomo did really have a bad year. Cant Win both IFMAR Off roads titles this year. Worst of all, Mr. MASAMI didnt win ALL-JAPAN 1/12 & the most prestige Mod Touring Expert Class this year, which he was so invincible in the past. Masami won the first 4 cells tiltle for last year All-Japan. If not mistaken, this year was his worst result in the All-Japan touring compare to the past.

Didnt see much for his BD in this year All-Japan touring, information known was still the same old BD without any development. This is not Yokomo style at all, they always have new updated parts for such a big event every year. Tamiya & Cyclone have already have brand new car & updated chasis this time. Guess Yokomo must be having a complete new car with lots of innovative details which they didnt want to release yet.

I could be wrong, lets wait & see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.