R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Looking for rollout 1/10th scale 13.5 brushless..

Hey guys, I run on approximately 40x90 carpet track, xray t2 007. Running 6 cell with novak 13.5. Im curious as to what kind of rollout others have been running. My motor is temping around 135, and im a tad slower than my buddy who is running lipo. I think i can get a bit more pop out of the car. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
zapmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Standard sintered rotor or 13mm sintered?

If it's the standard, which is likely, try something around 40mm and go up until your lap times get slower, then back down one. We've seen a few motors that need a lot more gear to get up to speed, which makes me think maybe the timing got tweaked or something. If your LiPo buddy is at weight, and you've got decent batteries, you should be faster than the LiPo car.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
Tech Adept

I havent swapped out the rotor yet, its the motor with the red timing ring (so i guess its stock sintered) ... so 40 is a good starting point you think? I have good batteries, and like i said it seems like i should be able to be as fast as my friends car. Btw, another friend did buy the upgraded rotor yesterday, but I was to busy to watch his car, have you guys found that it makes a big difference?
Old 11-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapmike View Post
I havent swapped out the rotor yet, its the motor with the red timing ring (so i guess its stock sintered) ... so 40 is a good starting point you think? I have good batteries, and like i said it seems like i should be able to be as fast as my friends car. Btw, another friend did buy the upgraded rotor yesterday, but I was to busy to watch his car, have you guys found that it makes a big difference?
40mm seems to be right in the middle of what people run. You may need to revise it up or down depending on your track, driving style, etc. These motors are a little tricky to gear, so the best way seems to be to keep gearing them up until they stop getting faster. I shouldn't say gear until they get slower, because that's hard to do with all that torque. When they're overgeared, they might be a tad slower, but will run hotter and use a lot more juice, so you may fade more toward the end.

I've been using the 13mm rotor, and can't say it's any faster. You have to gear it quite a bit higher (47+mm) to get to speed, though. I do think it's got a slightly smoother feel, and may be a little more forgiving on gearing, but I can't say I've seen any on-track benefit. My understanding is that the rotor was more intended for Novak's faster motors, where you have to use tiny pinion gears to get the right ratio. The bigger rotor allows them to work with larger gears since it's more torque biased.

As always, though, I'd encourage you to do your own testing as well to find what works best for you.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:09 AM   #5
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

at my track, its like 40x90 also, ive rolling out around 36mm and coming off at 150ish? Part of my prob is alotta slow down and go, race with a rough crew, so its mostly dodging collisions and crap lol. I cant gear over 38mm because my spur gear is to big! I have a Xray 112tooth on it now, Ive been waiting for Nexus to get their RW 108 spur in, dunno where i can get it anywhere else. any thoughts?
Old 11-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #6
Tech Adept

i am running a 100 spur right now with pinion range between 33-38 or so, but it sounds like where u are running ur car is excatly like where im runnin mine lol. alot of stop and go and tight lane traffic, but its a ton of fun!
Old 11-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
dunno where i can get it anywhere else. any thoughts?
Try prs. I use a 104 and 40t pinion, with 57mm tires.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:46 AM   #8
Tech Adept

well ran another night, still wasnt happy with the car, just cant seem to find the sweet spot, i saw a guy runnin an older novak 13.5 with standard sintered rotor, though it was on schumacher mi3, his car had the kind of torque im lookin for and was still toppin out fast on the straight, i did his rollout and tried the same in my car, it was around 34mm. Still didnt feel right. guess ill just keep playin with it, feel free to post any thoughts or input u might have.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:52 AM   #9
Tech Initiate

There are a couple of things you can try to figure out what the problem is.

First, try borrowing someone's battery from a car that you know is running fast. The 13.5 likes voltage moreso than those Co27 which tend to overheat from extra voltage. Then you'll know if your batteries have gone flat or not.

Make sure you are running the belts as loose as possible without the belts flipping over. This will reduce the amount of drive train friction in your car.

Check to see there is a slight gap between the spur and pinion to prevent excess friction.

Make sure your bearings are running smoothly and properly lubricated. I had a friend running broken bearings; those definitely slowed his car down.
edlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:37 AM   #10
Tech Adept

edlan, thanks for the reply, all those things are in good order, maybe its just me lol.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I realize this thread is to answer the poster's question...

...but, I have a question regarding the responses.

I run an S400 at LSRCC, 48x100 (approx.) 13.5 pro w/4200 batt.

My rollout is absolutely no more than 30.79mm (1.21"). I am excessively fast, took 3rd place last month, behind two seasoned veterans. I can't imagine going to a 40mm R.O.

Am I calculating this wrong?

35P x 57mm tire x 3.14 / 93 spur / 2.1875 F.D.

I can't imagine going any faster, although first place was about a lap ahead of me (Driver Skill!!).

LMK, please
Allan
Centerline Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 10:48 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Al, yes you are correct in your rollout, check this site out its great, http://gearchart.com , and you can print yourself a nice rollout sheet to take with you for reference. I havent tried that low of a rollout, but i will now muhahah
Old 12-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchorr View Post
at my track, its like 40x90 also, ive rolling out around 36mm and coming off at 150ish? Part of my prob is alotta slow down and go, race with a rough crew, so its mostly dodging collisions and crap lol. I cant gear over 38mm because my spur gear is to big! I have a Xray 112tooth on it now, Ive been waiting for Nexus to get their RW 108 spur in, dunno where i can get it anywhere else. any thoughts?
A few of us installed 96 tooth spurs from PRS, they bolt right on with counter sunk screws. Very good quality spurs.

http://www.precisionracingsystems.com/products/10