Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Evo 3 vs. 414mII (The Real Tamiya Challenge) >

Evo 3 vs. 414mII (The Real Tamiya Challenge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Evo 3 vs. 414mII (The Real Tamiya Challenge)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 03:43 PM

Default Evo 3 vs. 414mII (The Real Tamiya Challenge)

in your opinion which one do you think is better

personally i like the 414mII. but its a biased opinion since i only tried this one and not the evo 3

you have to have tried BOTH to answer
Old 05-30-2003, 02:39 AM
Tech Elite

Well, I'm definately not a Tamiya expert, but to me it sounds more or less like another shaft versus belt thread.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Exactly right Cole.
These topics don't really prove much in the end. Any of the cars discussed on these threads will put you on the podium if you're good enough to get there in the first place.

I say just find a car you like, for one reason or another, with good Parts support from your LHS or Internet Store, learn how to dial it in to your track and Practice, Practice, Practice

Steevo
Old 05-30-2003, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Well actually Steevo, one may be better suited for different applications than the other. It's a proven fact that a SD car will typically perform better on a tight high traction track like carpet because it comes off the turns harder. Of course, at my driving skill level I worry more about which car will come off the turns still in one piece...
Old 05-30-2003, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

I go for the 414m2, evo3 is fast but here in our club, evo3 has a poor survivability record during races, mayge its good only for TRF drivers, and besides evo3 needs to win the worlds first.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

I agree to disagree, I think the Evo 3 is a much better car than the 414 MII. I have owned a 414 MII, raced it a whole summer, and was generally unhappy with how much of a pain it was to work on and that it wasn't very durable. I'm now driving an XXX-S GP and am much happier, although it looks like my next car will be an Evo 3 Surikarn Edition. Many local guys drive this car now in my area, and have been thrilled w/ its performance. I still need to take one for a spin, and then I'll know if it's worthy of my $$$.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by skibum989
I agree to disagree, I think the Evo 3 is a much better car than the 414 MII. I have owned a 414 MII, raced it a whole summer, and was generally unhappy with how much of a pain it was to work on and that it wasn't very durable. I'm now driving an XXX-S GP and am much happier, although it looks like my next car will be an Evo 3 Surikarn Edition. Many local guys drive this car now in my area, and have been thrilled w/ its performance. I still need to take one for a spin, and then I'll know if it's worthy of my $$$.
I agree to disagree again.
I think a lot of it is just personal preference. You say the 414 was not very durable and hard to work on and now you drive a Losi XXX-S you are much happier. I know a half a dozen people or more who would say the opposite. Most guys I know who have had the Losi say it is a pain because it breaks so easily. I have only seen evidence to back this up. On the other hand the guys I know who have a 414MII say it is rock solid and they never break a thing.
I personally think most top of the range cars can be made to perform at a winning level. Some are easier to dial in and some are easier to work on but some people don't mind what another may find annoying.
One of My cars is an TB Evo II and it is my most favourite car. It is the most difficult of my cars to work on, but I prefer it to even my Xray Evo2. On the track it performs every bit as well as the Xray.

If you were to post a thread about the Xray Evo2 Vs Tamiya TB Evo 2, I bet the Xray would get the most recommendations by far but in reality they are both excellent cars and capable of performing well in the right hands.

One last thing the 2003 New Zealand 1/10th scale on road champion drove a Tamiya TB Evo 2 to victory beating all those drivers with their Xrays, 414's, TB Evo III's and Losi XXX-S.

Steevo
Old 05-31-2003, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

have used my 414m2 for almost a year now, right after surikarn won and i haven't had a broken arms or parts except for just losing a kingpin, i run open mod for the whole year and race every weekend and never experience any problems, i can even change motor after a heat for just a minute, that u can't do with the evos.
A Whole summer of racing is just a quarter of a year, do you really own a 414????!!!!!!

Am planning to get a 2nd 414m2, which is a WCR, assembled but not used, hoping for a good price.

Problems here on the evos are the stripping of the small bevel gears, stripped ball diff gears and we found out that its ok if you run stock.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:30 PM
WC
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by Wilfred
i can even change motor after a heat for just a minute, that u can't do with the evos.
Funny that... 'cos I can - on the Evo3.

Just takes a long Hudy 2.5mm driver, there's just enough room below the shock tower through to access the top screw. Then compress the RHR suspension and access the bottom screw. Motor and/or new pinion can be changed in under a minute; same amount of work & tools as on a TA04, probably easier to adjust gearmesh on e3 too.

Spur gear is a different matter, of course...

Problems here on the evos are the stripping of the small bevel gears, stripped ball diff gears and we found out that its ok if you run stock.
Evo3 has been known to chew up the bevel spur on the front one-way, according to the relevant RC-Tech thread... NOT the ball diff, nor the bevel pinions.

The chewing usually follows a hard front-on smash; has nothing to do with the type of motor you're using.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

WC:
Its really the ball diff gears and bevel were stripping, but not at the same time, thats why my pals are now using alum ball diffs, how come the evo3s are discontinued? and the surikarn edition are coming out with the improvement? ha?

Just admit it, it takes time install the motor to the mount, pals from my club are telling me this too.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Wilfred-- don't believe what your freinds tell you!!! SOmeone posted it on te internet so it must be true!!!! Damn it's the law already!!!!LOL
Old 06-02-2003, 07:51 AM
Tech Regular

Talked to my pal tonite who has an evo3, and WC was also right, its mostly on the front one way which strips a lot and sometimes on the rear ball diff.

I remembered when we were out of town racing, my pal was opening the gear box after every run in the 3 qualifying heats. poor guy, he was on the brink of throwing his car.

Tamiya should improved the evo3. I don't know if the Surikarn edition is better? Any comments? or is it out in the market already?
Old 06-02-2003, 10:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Wilfred

Tamiya should improved the evo3. I don't know if the Surikarn edition is better? Any comments? or is it out in the market already?
It's not out yet... not until the end of June. It's basically the same car with all the hop-up to it. it also have a new 3mm chassis, and all the titanium parts. and a new front one way...etc... if you want more detail info check it out at www.tamiya.com.

It takes a little more time to change the spur gear and get to the internal gears with all shaft cars.

I have seen sooo many comparison threads poping out in the forum. All I can say is all the comparision is biased, and really meaningless. Any RC car is a good car, as long as the driver is very capable. Especially all the top-end cars. Nowadays, all top RC cars are top-notch, some maybe more durable then others, and that's it. Performance wise, it's the driver that counts.

Some people just love the shaft drive and don't mind spending little more time checking the gears, hooking up the motor, or changing the spurs.

Some people just love the belt drive, and don't mind tearing up the car just to change the belt.

It's all preference.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

wilfred: i just got back from the lhs in makati, they said the evo3 surikarn will be out end of june they have a poster there and the price is about Y50,000 so im guessing itll sell here for about P25,000.00 hopefully less. im also interested in the evo3 ever since it went out but reviews of the stripping one-way held me back. if the surikarn ed cures this problem, ill sell my 414 ...
Old 06-03-2003, 12:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by marvi
wilfred: i just got back from the lhs in makati, they said the evo3 surikarn will be out end of june they have a poster there and the price is about Y50,000 so im guessing itll sell here for about P25,000.00 hopefully less. im also interested in the evo3 ever since it went out but reviews of the stripping one-way held me back. if the surikarn ed cures this problem, ill sell my 414 ...
The Surikarn edition will be unlikely to solve the stripping problem. All it adds is a carbon plate to make the one-way gear sit evenly. When I still had my Evo3 I used an alloy plate to even out the gear. It helped a little but was not much use in a hard crash so I don't see the carbon plate as a solution.

The reason it strips is simple, its the weakest point in the car. When you crash the weakest point will always break first.
You can take steps to minimise it but in the end the gear is considered a disposable item. Having said that though the weaker gears is the reason why the car is very smooth and free.

Its all a matter of compromise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.