R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Has anybody done this???

Since i cant afford a TC3 or any other on road car, has anybody used a Nikko car in racing??? I have a Nikko car from Radioshack that i put foams on, and put a bigger battery in it, and iam working on putting a STOCK motor in. Iam wondering this cuz i want to start racing, but cant afford a "REAL" car. I want to run in the Stock Sedan class at Allens RC Cars in Illinois. Is this possable???
hrnts69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Welcome to Rctech .net!!! we're glad you came!

There are many things you can do in this hobby, and many more sub-hobbies within the hobby. some people do convert cars and other vehicles into different things, which from personal experience, is fun in itself.

a website worthy of looking at, www.ultimatetraxxas.com , has many vehicles that have been modified for the better. the creator of the site has done many projects that are fun to look at.

unfortunatly, project cars still tend not to be as competitive as true racing machines. so, if you truelly wanted to start serious racing in R/C, then i would highly suggest getting a TC3, or other vehicle. off-road is lotsa fun too!

the hardest thing is getting your hands on a decent vehicle. but once you do, hang on to your transmitter! its lots and lots of fun!

Cheers, and good luck!
Johnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Well most of the "real" cars have replacable parts. Not sure on that car. You will definately break things. I would say find a used cheap "real" car (such as a TC3 or TC4).
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I Agree, find a used one for a good price.
Your Nikko wont take the "abuse" nor will it handle anywhere as good as the "Hobby grade" cars will.

What's your budget like? there should be lots of TC3's out there sitting on the shelves.. I have one collecting dust, as I am sure others do too.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Doodad

Ask people at your local track. I guarantee someone there has a box 'o' TC3 sitting around.
Doodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:39 AM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Alot of tracks also run a 'spec' class, where everyone runs the same battery, motor, chassis. This tends to be an inexpensive way to get started and keeps everyone on a level playing field, (in therory)

LONG LIVE OPEN MODIFIED
miller tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Thanks for the info guys!!! It makes since that a "Hobby Grade" car wouldnt last in a race! I now know what iam gonna do, iam gonna sell/trade my Electric buggy for a car on here in the next day. So look out for my ad in the Classified section soon!!! THANKS! you guys are GREAT and a BIG help!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:31 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi hrnts69
I used to race at Allen's a couple years ago. I haven't been there lately, but from what I have heard sedan racing has all but died off. I think most people are running either 12th scale or Tamiya Mini Coopers. You might check out the Mini Cooper class. It looked pretty fun.
dway100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrnts69 View Post
Thanks for the info guys!!! It makes since that a "Hobby Grade" car wouldnt last in a race! I now know what iam gonna do, iam gonna sell/trade my Electric buggy for a car on here in the next day. So look out for my ad in the Classified section soon!!! THANKS! you guys are GREAT and a BIG help!!!!!!!
Hey I started out by going to the local track, i'm sure there is a racer that has something tucked away in a box somewhere. I'll ask at my local track this saturday for you. Please send me a pm or something to remind me on sunday.

You can also post in the wanted to buy section of this forum or hunt around on ebay.

Does anyone remember what came before the xxx-s? I forgot they have to be reasonably priced now.
YmeBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 08:45 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

i dont know what you can spend but you can pick up a used tc3 for around a hundred bucks. I was looking for parts for one and had plenty of people pm me with cars to sell on this forum.
esdjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Tech Addict

Thanks guys!!! I have my Buggy in the Classified section now! If you guys want to trade any On Road cars for a Electric Off Road Buggy, pm me or check out my add!!!