Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
why no saddle pack cars? >

why no saddle pack cars?

why no saddle pack cars?

Old 11-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default why no saddle pack cars?

any reason why there is no saddle pack battery layout in TC's?

whereas most of the offroad cars now are saddle pack?
Old 11-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Well it would severely limit the options for lipo for one reason.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

XRAY Evo FOC was saddle pack I believe
Old 11-21-2007, 02:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

cars from 6 or 7 yrs ago had saddle-pack configuration.
even the xray T1.

and my trusty kawada alcyon
Old 11-21-2007, 02:35 AM
Tech Adept

The HPI pro2 had saddles, one of the best chassis too
Old 11-21-2007, 02:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have always felt saddle pack is the ideal layout. The FK04 till this day was my favorite TC. I feel that the saddle pack design has been abandon for the sake of simplicity. People seemed to want to run stick packs.

Lipo wont be an issue being that they do have Lipo saddle packs. To be honest, The losi car is the only TC to benefit from Lipo without a minimum weight rule in effect. We cant reep the benefits of the lighter pack with the existing designs. What would help is to have hardcase saddle packs. This would support the offroad buggies for running lipo and allow TC to see good benefits from the Lipo packs.

Ok,Im off of my soap box now Just my .02
Old 11-21-2007, 03:58 AM
Tech Champion

Maybe manufacturers think their chassis setup is optimised with inline formation cells these days.

Maybe they feel it gives better weight distribution? Saying that, I did like my pro2 weight balance when I had it, many years ago.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:23 AM
Tech Elite

It's better to have the weight as close to the centre line as possible for minimum weight transfer.

The saddle pack cars are always slightly wider than the current crop of TC's, the narrower chassis allow the weight of the batteries to be more central, in both directions.

Off Road is a different story, I think that's mainly becuase of the jumps etc involved so the balance requirments are different.
RallyX nitro's are the same, the engine is always slightly towards the rear.

Skiddins
Old 11-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Actually many of the saddle pack cars were more narrow then today's stick pack cars. When saddle pack cars were still popular they were usually optioned to run a stick pack across the chassis as well. So they ran their batteries under the belt. When in saddle pack config they can mount up right under the belt. Today's cars have to mount their batteries outside of the belt.

The 2 reasons I've heard for this current trend is 1) Simplicity and 2) Japan racing rules. In Japan they only allow stick packs so if you want to sell cars there and race there they have to be able to take stick packs. Mounting them on one side of the chassis does bring the weight closer to the centerline when comparing to mounting the stick pack across the chassis.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I agree with Pro tc3 that saddle pack sedans are not being made for the sake of simplicity. Saddle Pack cars are just as narrow as the current layout with batts on one side and electronics on the other.

the only major difference i could think of is saddle pack cars might have more weight in the rear?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default b

I never liked saddle packs...Do you guys thinks the weight of the receiver, motor and ESC is equal to the entire pack? Like the tc4 setup?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

brushless system, receiver with transponder and servo weights about 380grams

EP 4200 all made up weights about 460gram

so these days batteries weigh about 80 gram more. +/- a few grams for the servo saver and the motor mount, battery strap etc
Old 11-21-2007, 12:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Stick/straight pack cars sell. I have heard that saddle packs are just as good or a better layout, but the straight pack layout sells cars to people who have multiple cars and don't want to change configurations, or purchase extra packs.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:07 PM
Tech Champion

I never minded saddle packs so much in 1/10th pan or 1/10th TC...it's just in 1/12th I'm not really fond of em. I prefer saddles in TC over stick pack on one side of the chassis. But I like stick pack down the center line even better.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The saddle pack cars are very well balanced from front to rear and side to side. The electronics help with this. The major advantage i find to saddle pack cars is the mass of the weight is not distributed throughout a large area. It is very confined and allows the cars to rotate easier. There is alot of gimic out there but what sells is simplicity. If lipo takes over we will be seeing design changes in TC going back to saddle packs. It is the only way to benefit from the light weight of the Lipos. With the current layout that cars have,You either need to add a mountain of weight to make the car work(which is fine due to todays weight limits). As lipo becomes more "the norm" Weight limits will drop and this is when the advantage of the saddle pack cars will really shine.

We run mostly low to medium bite asphalt down here in florida. My FK04 was the 1 and only car that actually ran better extremely rigid in these conditions. No flexy chassis were needed. All the stick pack car i have owned have needed a more flexible chassis to help the car grip so it could rotate. I would really like to see this layout come back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.