R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2007, 03:53 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Default Novak 21.5t Brushless

Looks like Novak is releasing a BL motor to run with Silver Can motors. has anyone had a go with the Novak 21.5t motor? If so please post your thoughts.

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...ors/index.html
Attached Thumbnails
Novak 21.5t Brushless-novc3421.jpg  
Supernova
Nomadio

Last edited by PeteB; 11-21-2007 at 05:34 AM.
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:13 AM   #2
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteB View Post
Looks like Novak is releasing a BL motor to run with Silver Can motors. has anyone had a go with the Novak 21.5t motor? If so please post your thoughts.

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...ors/index.html
Why is 21.5T, isn't it so slow?
Anyway i didn't see they meant which this motor could run beside silver can.
In the case of Speedpassion have released a 17T it's also equal silver can which is Sensorless.
Maybe the Novak one is sensored, so that's why must have more turns.
Unfortunately, there is no rumour yet if is allowing using BL to run 540 race in my town, sad.
As i saw on some HK sites, is allowing this Speedpassion one to run in these races.
mac853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:31 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

There are a lot of choices for brushless these days and that's a good thing.....BUT..........I don't care for the comparisons between them and brushed motors...There is always a difference in opinion to what equals what...SO....Is there a Dyno out there that can measure the power output/torque/RPM and time to reach that max RPM ?? The data would be useful to make a good apples to apples comparison. The key to the test is NIP motors with just break in time on them....Tweaking the motor not allowed.
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 AM   #4
Tech Master

Yeah, i am waiting for it.
Maybe organizations have try make a power comparison, then put a list of motors allowance for every class of race: 23T, 27T, 19T and 540 class.
Then BL and BR could run together fairly, that's i want.
BL must allowing not only on MOD races.
mac853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Last edited by scootr117; 11-21-2007 at 08:04 AM. Reason: double post
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

damm guys 540 is for a noobie class, but yous want to run a 21t brushless in it? you cant handle 13.5t??

please dont run 21t in 540 great way to really kick the newbies nuts.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:49 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

This motor was developed for 1/10 oval cars with 7.4 lipo packs. It runs similar to 4 cell stock brush motors in those cars. If it works like a 540 in other cars, I guess that's cool too

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 03:00 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I must be the only one thats still waiting for a Brushless stock class. Is ROAR dumping stock racing completely from the rule books?

We run ROAR brushed stock at our club, it would be nice to step into the brushless era with a ROAR brushless rule set .
Old 11-21-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

17.5?

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:26 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

If I were a noob I would stick with the mabuchi's. They might as well be brushless anyway. Aside from initial break in you oil them up, put them in the car and then just re-oil every so often. Plus theyre lighter and cheaper. Just my .02.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:28 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

..being involved with testing the 21.5 motor for OVAL racing...we were looking for a motor to use as a STOCK type speed motor with the higher voltage batteries (LIPO).

Since most OVAL racing has been using 4 cell batteries for several years now in order to have a B/L motor that would run similar speeds with higher voltage batteries..a NEW motor needed to be designed.

Too often NEW motors overlook the entry level or even the vets who just like a more controlled speed. (EVERYBODY Doesn't want to run at LIGHTNING FAST SPEEDS)

We were involved with the 17.5 motor and the 21.5. As far as the speeds of it...it's actually still TOO FAST for a direct replacement of the 4 cell 27t brushed motor class. (The 25.5 we were testing would have been better)..and a 23.5 would have probably been PERFECT) But, this motor is very easy to drive...it runs for EVER, doesn't get hot and is a lot of fun in a Pan Car.

I haven't had the chance to stick one in my Touring Cars yet, but we'll be doing some of that this winter...because we've got some NEWBIES who really want to run brushless..but DON'T want to be ballistic...

As far as a motor that compares to STOCK 27t Brushed speeds...when properly geared..the 17.5 is MUCH closer to STOCK than a 13.5 is. The 13.5 when geared right IS Faster in everything we've tested them in so far...compared to a brushed 27t motor.

NOTE: On a Road Course track - it doesn't show up that the 13.5 is that much faster in many cases...in part do to the nature of speeding up and slowing down I believe...

We only saw about a lap and a half difference between the old 19t motors and Stock with the SAME drivers...but the STOCK motored cars could drive a lot deeper into a corner..and didn't have the high speeds on the straights. I think the same would be true of the 13.5 vs the 17.5.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

TOTALLY DON'T see the point of this motor or some of the arguments behind it.

The whole idea of 540 is that its CHEAP to run and get started in... here in Australia the motors are about $15 and an ESC more than good enough to run a 540 at club level would set you back about $50. Unless someone is about to bring out a $50 Brushless ESC then you are still looking $200+ for an ESC to run it, not to mention that, if it stays true to Novak pricing, it will be at least $100 for the motor.

If you really want to be THAT serious about, and spend THAT much on 540 maybe you should be looking at another class?

Views expressed are only my opinion. All prices quoted are approximate and quoted in Australian Dollars.

Don't mistake not being happy for unhappiness - its not the same thing
ShadowAu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:22 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTour View Post
..being involved with testing the 21.5 motor for OVAL racing...we were looking for a motor to use as a STOCK type speed motor with the higher voltage batteries (LIPO).

Since most OVAL racing has been using 4 cell batteries for several years now in order to have a B/L motor that would run similar speeds with higher voltage batteries..a NEW motor needed to be designed.

Too often NEW motors overlook the entry level or even the vets who just like a more controlled speed. (EVERYBODY Doesn't want to run at LIGHTNING FAST SPEEDS)

We were involved with the 17.5 motor and the 21.5. As far as the speeds of it...it's actually still TOO FAST for a direct replacement of the 4 cell 27t brushed motor class. (The 25.5 we were testing would have been better)..and a 23.5 would have probably been PERFECT) But, this motor is very easy to drive...it runs for EVER, doesn't get hot and is a lot of fun in a Pan Car.

I haven't had the chance to stick one in my Touring Cars yet, but we'll be doing some of that this winter...because we've got some NEWBIES who really want to run brushless..but DON'T want to be ballistic...

As far as a motor that compares to STOCK 27t Brushed speeds...when properly geared..the 17.5 is MUCH closer to STOCK than a 13.5 is. The 13.5 when geared right IS Faster in everything we've tested them in so far...compared to a brushed 27t motor.

NOTE: On a Road Course track - it doesn't show up that the 13.5 is that much faster in many cases...in part do to the nature of speeding up and slowing down I believe...

We only saw about a lap and a half difference between the old 19t motors and Stock with the SAME drivers...but the STOCK motored cars could drive a lot deeper into a corner..and didn't have the high speeds on the straights. I think the same would be true of the 13.5 vs the 17.5.

ROAR # 11-118753 / MATT #11-118754
MECH # 11-118755 / RYLEE #11-118756
RIP :Loretta Plueard 2017
SUPPORTING NORTHWEST HARVEST --- WWW.NORTHWESTHARVEST.ORG THE HUNGER STOPS HERE
Skruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Some us at my home track are running the 17.5 and are loving it. I don't know if the 21.5 would be enough in a touring car. I could be wrong. In some touring cars it's been an adventure putting enough gear to the 17.5, I couldn't imagine the 21.5.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 02:19 AM   #15
Tech Regular

I see what you mean, however I used to run 540/silvercan and there is a big difference between a "tuned" 540 and a regular 540. There are 5 different 540 classes at my track (novice, 540 intermediate, 540 chrome, 540 pro and 540 black - 540 black is the tamiya sport tuned motor) with massive variation in the speeds obtained.

I really enjoyed racing in 540, not for the speed, but for the challenge of trying to drive the perfect line. Also crashes are less costly as things dont get broken as easily.

I think that this motor or somthing similar will make for a more level playing field in this "motor space".
Supernova
Nomadio
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote