R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-17-2007, 09:37 AM   #46
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

Any of you guys in the Midwest who haven't seen this class yet, check out the regional forums for Trackside and "The Track" in the Wisconsin and Illinois forums.

The simple rules, slower cars and ultra competitive class is easily the most fun I have ever had racing road cars. Period.

If your local carpet track isn't doing it yet, follow the lead set by Trackside and start a class now. You absolutely won't regret it.

squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #47
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

we are messing with 200mm Pan Cars using HPI bodies of real cars. Here is a pic of our prototype with a corvette C6 body
Attached Thumbnails
New Class=TRANS AM-db10r-1.jpg   New Class=TRANS AM-db10r-2.jpg   New Class=TRANS AM-db10r-3.jpg   New Class=TRANS AM-db10r-4.jpg  
J Concepts
protc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #48
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by protc3 View Post
we are messing with 200mm Pan Cars using HPI bodies of real cars. Here is a pic of our prototype with a corvette C6 body
How 'bout some body off pics
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:57 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

That doesn't look like a low budget class to me... Neat idea, but about 15 years too late. If most of the country can't even get 1/12th scale off the ground, and touring cars are dying a slow and painful death, is this the best route?

Hopefully, that's not much more than a niche class. I don't think road racing can handle another chassis with more classes to splinter everything apart even more.

At least the T/A class is using chassis that guys already have, just slowing things down to a more reasonable pace (like when people could actually start racing R/C and not be in 3' over their heads right off the bat).

Cool car, but I don't think that's going to help racing at all...
Old 12-19-2007, 07:40 AM   #50
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

We race the TT01 with rubber, 540 can, stick pack, with 1970 and older bodies. Lots of fun. Rampage Hobbies in Poughkeepsie NY
Old 12-19-2007, 07:45 AM   #51
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to bigemike

I think this is a great class to expand the growth of the hobby, It allows guys who have quit racing, to bring in the older cars they have in the closet, and buy some inexpensive battery / motor combinations and race competitively.

I am going to order the stuff to convert my tc4, what motor are you guys using?
bigemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:38 AM   #52
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigemike View Post
I am going to order the stuff to convert my tc4, what motor are you guys using?
In this area, most guys are splitting up old 6-cell packs into 4-cell packs and using CO27s in the cars. It almost doesn't really matter what you use, and that's the best part. The speeds allow the cars to be very even, driving to be most important and if you make a mistake, you aren't immediately a lap down with a broken car.

Maybe it's because I have lost some reaction time and depth perception as I have gotten older, and maybe the cars of today are just WAY too fast for most weekend duffers, but this class feels a lot like racing did 15 years ago when there was competition all the way down the entry sheet.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:13 AM   #53
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I love this Idea. I see you have talked about chassis', motors and batteries but what ESC's are you running. I don't want to start any controversy, but as a cost saving matter. I was thinking about the Tamiya esc that comes with the Swift or something along those lines, cheap easy to get ahold of without breaking the bank.

Chad O

Staggered F/X body painting
Stagger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #54
Tech Elite

Thumbs up

ESCs are open, and I think that so far with the intent of the class in mind, most guys are using whatever brushed ESC they have lying around to avoid buying something new. Most racers already have stuff to work with, and many who have moved to brushless motors have something brushed collecting dust.

I'm using an old Tekin G10pro, which is far more than needed, and can easily be had on the second-hand market for less than $60. It doesn't get any cheaper.

Forcing someone to use a specific ESC or motor just makes them have to go buy something new. If I had to buy more than a body and tires/wheels, I may not have leaped at the class with as much enthusiasm.

Keep it simple.