R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-01-2003, 10:05 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

mushu, did you race Saturday??? I talked to Mike as well, seems he already place a bid a new place, just a bit of haggling going on, hopefully soon!!! I already have a few T/C's but raced on indoor concrete in Chicago, some occasional carpet, it's too dang hot in Texas to race outside...I have the Yoke SD and a Cuda, which the Cuda was great on concrete, just getting the opinions!!!
birdy233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 10:41 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

I haven't raced at Mikes in about a year. New house, new baby, old story Now it's time to get back to racing.

Mike mentioned that he had a contract on a new place, but that it would put back the move while it was built out.

I'll definitely be out to the new track, but in the mean time I'll have to bear the Texas heat!
mushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 12:48 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If they run X-rays in your area, by all means get an X-Ray! I've had the car for four weeks, Haven't missed an A since I got it. Absolutely fabulous build quality, LESS susceptible to hit induced tweak changes than a TC3 could EVER BE. I've run both and the X-ray is far superior IMO. I'm not Barry Baker, so I can't spend a day or two shimming the diffs and sanding the diff cases on my car to get a hella smooth drivetrain, the X-ray is good from the box. I also find the X-Ray to be smoother, and my favorite part about running an X-Ray....... I don't have to replace worn out suspension arms after virtually every weekend. My absolute biggest gripe about the TC3 is that the suspension components are almost worn out after assembly. I've got three weekends on the C-hub set-up on my X-ray, it's been bind free since day one, and there's still no slop. IT is THE car.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 01:36 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

No doubt the Xray Evo 2 is a great car, but there are several reasons I didn't choose it.

One of the arguments the local Xray guys use against cars like the TC3 and XXX-S is that the front one-way is overpriced and that, in general, X-ray parts are inexpensive. While this is certainly true there is a little more to the story. Over the last year Xray has had to make design changes to their car as they fixed design mistakes and further developed the car. Thankfully they included a C-Hub suspension option in the latest kit, but there are other things you will have to buy if you want your xRay at it's most efficient. These popular upgrades include...

1. A one-way front diff (This is MUCH cheaper than the TC3's!)
2. A front spool diff (About the same price as an IRS spool for the TC3)
2. Front roll bar assembly
3. Newly designed rear belt
4. New drive pulleys
4. Possibly scrap the graphite plate chassis for the tub of the xRay T1R.
5. Newly designed roll center bridge

*Note: You can basically junk the pivot ball suspension in the kit. Very few people use it when presented with the option of using the C hubs.

Contrast this with what you'll need for the TC3...

1. An unfortunately expensive front one-way diff.
2. A more reasonably priced front spool or go cheap and just "lock" the front diff.
3. A rear shock tower for the front of the car if you care to set it up symmetrically.

Hudy, Xray, and Serpent have a TON of experience from gas racing over the years, but they made the mistake of thinking there was more in common between gas and electric cars. A dual belt was probably not the best choice of drive-trains, pivot balls where certainly overkill and don't work as well as C hubs, and the flat plate of carbon for a chassis is easy to produce, but somewhat more likely to tweak. I have to give xRay their due as far as design "refinement" goes. The Evo2 is a beautiful car and very desirable from a marketing standpoint. Of course this is the very essence of European design, magnificent refinement of old designs at the cost of possible improvements, or even failure, through innovation. Obviously I'm off on a tangent about marketing, so you'll have to forgive me. The fact remains that the latest round of kits from more than a few manufacturers (HPI, Tamiya, Yokomo, etc) are taking more of their cues from the TC3 than the xRay. Combine that with rock solid US part support and it's easy to see why the TC3 has such staying power. It may not be the "coolest" choice out there, but for the money it's certainly a wise choice.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:58 PM   #20
Tech Elite

mushu: I would reccommend buying the T1-R. You only need the Oneway if you're unfortunate enough to have to run rubber tires.

Now a T1-R for around $220+ the new belt and pullies, and roll center bridge, and one way is still as cheap as a TC3 Factory team, and you'd still have to buy the one way for the TC3! Plus since suspension components last about 10 times longer on an X-Ray than they do on a TC3 then the car's an even bigger bargain.

The Dual belt argument is kind of a moot point. The Current World champion is a two-belt car. The previous World Champion was a two belt car as well. TC3's have been available for that entire length of time, and haven't beaten them at the Worlds. All current TC designs, with a few exceptions, are very competitive. I feel that the X-ray is the best car available at the moment.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:15 PM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Cypress, i don't know how you were wearing out suspension components so fast. You must be doing some REALLY heavy racing if you're getting actual slop after 3 weeks. The suspension loosening up a bit is not considered slop...

I do agree the the xray is a very competitive car, but i have a friend who owns one and says that although it has been fast for him before, it takes a tweak very easily unlike the tub cars of the TC3/Losi. Plus, most hobby shops in the US do not stock Xray parts, and that is a big issue.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 03:20 PM   #22
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

x-ray all the way , no matter which ver. is just about indestructible and the support is great. ralph burch, jared scott and ron atomic , etc. are factory drivers and will help you in anyway they can.

The ONE that DIES with the Most Toys WINS!!!
ICEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:08 PM   #23
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Axiom5B
Plus, most hobby shops in the US do not stock Xray parts, and that is a big issue.
Most of the LHS near me carry Xray parts.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 04:12 PM   #24
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

mushu, so I assume you will be racing a TC3?? Talked to MIke the other day and the new place looks like it will happen soon, (which he's happy since his lease was up Saturday). Will you be racing at Mike's soon..LMK!!!
birdy233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 05:27 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I have had both of these cars and raced each one for about a year. First the xray, awsome and beautiful. Once you get it setup correctly it is hard to beat. But for me it took forever to setup correctly, also noticed the piviot balls would get kind of sloppy after about two weekends of racing. Another I hate using saddle packs. As for the tc3 much more easier to setup, faster corner speed, easy access to diffs, overall easier to work on car. But I think the xray is a much more durable, it can take a hit. The first weekend I raced the car I actually felt sorry for it, I punished it an not one broken part. Tc3 breaks alot more in my book. To sum it all up now I have a xxxs and I think its better than both of them, maybe not as durable as the xray thou
Old 06-03-2003, 09:36 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Birdy,

I'll definitely be racing my TC3 at Mikes when he gets the new track up and running. I can't wait! Did Mike say when he'd be in the new place?
Old 06-03-2003, 10:51 PM   #27
Tech Champion

its been said above but i will say it again cause its important...

get a car you can get parts for!

if you lhs's don't support cars, then you will always have hassles gettin stuff, especially when you need it.

i currently run a tamiya tao4. its not supposed to be as good as either an x-ray or tc3, but i beat them both reguarly and i can get parts from a few lhs's

any pro level kit will win for you as long as you can get a setup that is fast with your driving style and you stay on the black stuff.