R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Thermal cooling system (TCS) - is it worth it? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/191473-thermal-cooling-system-tcs-worth.html)

Drift Demon 11-18-2007 04:52 PM

Thermal cooling system (TCS) - is it worth it?

mamba max esc, orion vortex 7.5, 8.35FDR, TT01D. Im currently running 2 x 25mm 3Racing fans & shes running a little hot, i can keep my finger on the motor for about 9secs after a full 30min run. i cannot go any higher FDR, i run the highest i can go.

I have been thinking about a TCS for quite some time now, but the only thing holding me back from getting it is indeed the price. I dont race, i just drift, but i have been through 4 motors & all have died due to overheating. i have the fans blowing air onto the motor, should i swap them around so it blows the hot air out? or should i just go all out & get the TCS??

miller tyme 11-18-2007 05:34 PM

The Vortex 7.5 is a sufficiently fast enough wind that I doubt it was designed for 30 min runs, the 10.5 get pretty warm racing them for 7 minutes during a team enduro 12 -15min runs is about all they can handle

Kane-o 11-18-2007 07:21 PM

I have to agree with miller tyme. Todays electric motors are not designed for 30min runs even though new battery technology will allow it. It is hard enought to keep motor temps down during a 5 or 8 minute run at an indoor carpet track. I would save yourself the $150 and run for say 10min, take a break, and run again when the motor has cooled. You will also be amazed how much dropping a tooth or two can lower motor temps.
-Kane

sosidge 11-19-2007 04:04 AM

I wonder whether the (sensorless) Mamba Max ESC is somehow generating more heat in the Orion motor than the (sensored) speed controllers it is really designed for?

AngryAsian 11-19-2007 01:30 PM

I'm 50-50 on this. I know the drifters do run for a long time, but dropping teeth isn't really an option for them. The difference (allowing for different driving styles of course), is that in MOD racing for example, you're always feathering the throttle. Just giving the car as much as it will have before you get untidy.

In a drift, the guys are fulling 50-60% throttle for long periods at a time. There really isn't that ramp up and let off action that gives the motor a break.

The other thing is that track users get the benefit of a 50-60km/h wind under the shell to help move the heat. Drift pigs are dead slow and usually run a more scale shell with even less airflow under the body.

I'm 100% that really, the motos aren't designed to be run anything like this long. So I'd go for it.. if you have the cash, get the TCS! It's all part of the fun right?

(I'd run the TCS with some high quality thermal paste like arctic silver, then I'd still run the 25mm fans on the radiator too.I'd even go about cutting my shell and running it where it can get some clean, cold air.)