Wiki Posts
Search

Please help me choose a new charger |->

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Please help me choose a new charger |->

As the title says, I'm looking to upgrade to a better charger. I have several now, and they each have their merits. I'll list what I like and don't like for each charger I currently have. I own and race many nitro and electric kits. I'm slowly beginning to run Lipo's in some of my kits, but with over 15 cars, it will be a while (if ever) before I only run just one battery technology. I'm looking for one charger that does it all...6 cell Nimh race packs, starter box stick packs, starter box 12v gel cells, nimh receiver packs, lipo micro packs, full size lipo race packs...you get the idea.

I have a Turbo 35 GFX. It has the ability to charge high enough to get the most out of NiMH packs. Great display and good interface. I like that it has a motor run in feature. CE is a great company to deal with, and it's cool that the software can be updated. It sucks that it's as big as a 1980's VCR and only has one output.

I have a MRC SuperBrain 969. This charger is nice and small. Charges NiMh and Lipo*, even at the same time (two packs at once). It also has a discharge function. Pretty good information (detailed charge rate, mah charge / discharge amount, etc) for a inexpensive charger. The buttons suck, and forget about making any changes or starting a second battery while it's charging one - it's SUPER slow. Also, max charge and discharge rates are too low for competition NiMH packs. MRC is a joke when it comes to customer service. *For those that are not familiar with this charger, MRC claimed it was Lipo capable upon it's initial release - IT WAS NOT. I sent mine back and it was updated to be Lipo compatible.

These are my primary chargers, but...and this is for the guys that have been around for a bit...I also have and use an AstroFlight 115D. I got this when nicad was the norm, and NiMH was the hot ticket This charger is super simple and works great for 'basic' stuff like charging transmitters or glow igniters. The best part, the power supply is integrated. There is no display, only a few led's to indicate charge rates.

Even older, I have ancient Traxxas 3002. This charger is TINY, almost pocket size. I've retired this unit, as it's so old, the screen printing on the adjustments are worn off. But it was good 'back in the day' for those SCR packs

I currently do not have a lipo balancer. I don't know how many chargers include this function, but it would be an ideal feature to also have.

Programmable presets would be sweet...

Also, and I'm certain this sounds petty, but I hate charger that sound like a freaking video game. A chime or tone when it's done is fine, but I will not be 'that guy' at the track that makes everyone else grind their teeth while his charger is playing Atari tunes. I'm totally fine with disabling the sound on a otherwise perfect charger.

So, whatta all suggest?

Thanks in advance-
TC_Tuner
Old 10-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I believe that the newest super brain the 989 I think can do all of the things that you need and there is a good review on it at www.rcuniverse.com
Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666885
Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

MRC isn't getting another cent of my money. The BS way they released the 969 (as it relates to LiPo) was, well I'll call it less that responsible. I know MANY people that have owned MRC chargers, had significant problems, and MRC has failed to support the product. Clearly, I could easily go on into full rant mode here, but plainly put, I won't be purchasing another MRC charger.

emulberry, thanks for the suggestion though! Not jumping on you here
Old 10-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

syndr0me - that's a one looks pretty sweet. Do you have one? How much??

It's funny, even when I go to a nitro race I need to charge SO many batteries, I really like the ability to charge more than one pack at a time. Last time I hit the onroad track, I brought three cars. I charged 13 packs (69 individual cells)
6 stick packs (three starter boxes)
2 transmitter packs
3 receiver packs
2 glow chargers
Old 10-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by TC_Tuner
syndr0me - that's a one looks pretty sweet. Do you have one? How much??

It's funny, even when I go to a nitro race I need to charge SO many batteries, I really like the ability to charge more than one pack at a time. Last time I hit the onroad track, I brought three cars, I charged 13 packs (69 individual cells)
6 stick packs (three starter boxes)
2 transmitter packs
3 receiver packs
2 glow chargers
I don't, but I've been considering it for a few weeks now. I'd like a charger that can go to at least 1.5C on my 4800 LiPo packs, and can do a decent job with NiMH as well. I'd really like one charger to bind them all, and this one seems close. Though it's worth noting that the ICE (especially Checkpoint's version) does many of these things, possibly better, and definitely cheaper.

Dual outputs would be really nice. I'm going to keep my tiny Orion charger around to handle LiPo packs on the side if the main charger is tied up.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:52 PM
Tech Lord

http://nexusracing.net/newsdesk_info...28075104f9b618
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Tech Elite

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN4059
this may help.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Honestly, I have been thinking about the ICE charger, but didn't want to 'lead the witness' I didn't know about the Checkpoint version - I would definitely go this route if I choose this type!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I was skeptical about the ICE as it was a "duratrax" product....but after purchasing one from my shop....damn, what an amazing charger!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:41 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Ya, I am debating getting the Checkpoint charger over a GFX...

Can get 2 new checpoints for a used GFX pretty much, or jsut about. nowadays, a straight 30amp linear discharge isnt good for IB/EP cells, so the 30 amp pulse will be good on the checkpoint..

Just set your discharge to cutoff at 1.0v so you dont have to put a charge in your pack to store it/and or throw it on my Smart Tray and tray her down to .7-.9!

The only concern i have with the Checkpoint, is it comes with cheap banana plugs... Would be nice if it came with the ones like on the Pulsar 2's... Not them dam cheap hobbico craps