R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-31-2003, 02:01 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Tamiya Ta04-trf Vs 414m2

I would like some input from owners of the new TA04-TRF chassis and 414m2. I'm looking a picking up one of these beauties, but simply cannot decide which to buy. Both are very similar, so a performance comparison is what I'm looking for since price is very close. I was thinking of using a BL system in it if this makes any difference. Thanks!
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 11:12 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I'm looking to also get either...somebody must have some recommendations out there. Please help Tamiya owners?

[email protected]
SpeedChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 11:22 PM   #3
Tech Master

TA04R TRF has all the "looks" plus top end performance parts. However, I would say that pure performance wise.. the M2 still has a little more edage. It is a bit more adjustable then the 04 TRF.

However, both are great and very durable cars. You would not be disappointed no matter which one you pick.

good luck shopping
TRF-Powered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 08:59 AM   #4
Tech Master

Well after a coin toss, I think I'll go for the TRF TA04, It is actually a little lighter, has every hop up, oneways ect.... and that chassis makes my eyes melt! It also seems like TA04 parts are everywhere. Ya, I know they share almost all parts, but it looks like places like Tower, speedtech, are loaded with TA04 stuff. I guess the next logical step for the 414m2 is a SSG version like the one pic on Tamiya USA site, maybe then I'll grab one of those too!
Old 06-01-2003, 02:30 PM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to cHckbOY5

where can we get the trf TA04?
cHckbOY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 04:54 AM   #6
Tech Master

I'm ordering mine from stella models in HK. They have some on ebay. The only other place I have found it is on Tower hobbies web sight, but they want $380!!!! Ouch!!!! I called a few of my "hot" mail order places and no one else seems to have them for whatever reason. I suppose Tamiya USA could tell you who is selling them in the US.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:39 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

I just got a TA04 on consignment for $100 with a bunch of carbon fiber parts.

Anyway, the manual that came with it reads TA04S. Does anyone know what the differences between the S version, and the R version. From what I can see, the R version looks looks the same but appears to be more race ready since it comes with treaded shocks.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:27 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

Hi,
I started with a TA04S,and my son also.
nowadays I race a Corally C4.1, and I just bought a secondhand TA04PRO in good shape for my son. It really is not easy to beat him! The TA04 is a stable car and easy to adjust.
The main difference between the S and the Pro is a carbon grafite upper and lower deck, adjustable height front and rear with screws, and of course a ball diff front and rear, and also light-weight axles. The Ta04 is a very nice and smooth to drive car.
recommended hop-ups are: grafite shock-stands front and rear,
rear uprights with 2degr. toe-in, and with wrench adjustable turnbuckles.
have fun with it, and regards from holland
octavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 04:40 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

hey guys

just a quick question to anyone that actually owns a TA04 TRF
I'm looking at picking up one, as the LHS that i work for has a number of them in stock (3 to be exact ) I currently run the TB Evo 3 but I want a car for outdoor racing for the Titles coming up, my question is:

how does the car compare with a fully hopped R version, anyone raced it vs. the Evo 3? and in general, is it a reliable car that can take a hard hit every now and then?

I used to race a fully hopped R version which was very reliable, so any thoughts guys?

regards from the land down under, matt
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 06:45 PM   #10
Tech Regular

The differences between the TA-04 S and the TA-04 R are:

S has a standard bevel gears diffs - R has ball diffs.
S has plastic shocks - R has aluminium shocks - the new NSX-2002 has flourine coated shocks (which is even better).
S has a standard plastic main chassis - R has a slotted carbon fibre reinforced plastic main plastic chassis.
S comes with regular rubber tires - R comes with Type As (belted).
S comes with a standard plastic upper deck - R comes with a C/F one.
S comes with a standard motor mount - R comes with a finned motor mount.
S comes with a plastic spur gear holder (standard kit one) - R comes with an aluminium holder with a c/f plate.
S comes with a 0.6 spur gear - R comes with a 0.4 spur gear.
R comes with front and rear stabilizers - I'm unsure whether these are included in the S kit.
S comes with standard dogbones - R comes with universals
Both kits come with full ball bearings and turnbuckles.

In my view, the best bet is to get the R because if you consider all the option parts included, it is much better value for money.

Hope this helps.

P/S: Between the TA-04 TRF and 414m2 (standard kit, not the WCE), I would recommend the TA-04 TRF as it comes with updated hardware such as the flourine coated shocks and the new lightweight one way. It also has aluminium centre one-way and pulley and lightweight blue universal shafts in the rear. Not to mention the cool SSG chassis. To bring the 414m2 up to date with those upgrades, you will need to spend alot more money. Performance wise, both should drive very similar. I'm not driven the TA-04 TRF (mine is still sitting in the box). However, having raced both the TA-04R and 414m2, I can say that they have similar handling characteristics.

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedChair
I just got a TA04 on consignment for $100 with a bunch of carbon fiber parts.

Anyway, the manual that came with it reads TA04S. Does anyone know what the differences between the S version, and the R version. From what I can see, the R version looks looks the same but appears to be more race ready since it comes with treaded shocks.

Last edited by KiwiKid; 06-02-2003 at 06:51 PM.
KiwiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 07:05 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by cHckbOY5
where can we get the trf TA04?
Try http://www.hobbymania.com.hk
tell Andy that Steve sent you. He has some great deals.....

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 12:26 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Default Thanks Octavio and KiwiKid

Thanks guys for posting some of the differences between the TA04 R and S, and M2.

As I indicated earlier, the car I got has a lot of upgraded parts but the original owner decided to put all the stock parts back on when he was selling it. I'm glad he did because I got a great deal on all the upgraded parts.

I started to take all the plastic parts off the car tonight, and got confused on the front shock tower. There were two carbon fiber towers that came in the bag but I'm not sure how I'm suppose to mount both. One tower has lower holes for the camber links, but it doesn't have holds for the body mounts. The other tower is vice versa. Not sure how I'm suppose to mount both towers to take advantage of camber and body mount like the original plastic tower.

I did noticed that some cars are using the newer front body posts that go into the front bumper.

Here's a picture of the shock towers I'm talking about.

Thanks for all the help guys. I wish more people ran Tamiya cars at Socal Raceway but not a high demand so race track will not stock Tamiya parts.

SpeedChair
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tamiya.jpg (29.1 KB, 414 views)
Old 06-03-2003, 11:18 AM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a Tamiya TA-04S, recently, I got a used ball diff.. after tryin to install it, I found out that the stock dog bone is too short. Can someone tell me what is the option parts part number for the universal shaft to be used with this ball diff...??

p/s, the ball diff is from a Tamiya 04-R..
Old 06-03-2003, 11:22 AM   #14
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm
Default Re: Thanks Octavio and KiwiKid

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedChair
....................but I'm not sure how I'm suppose to mount both. One tower has lower holes for the camber links, but it doesn't have holds for the body mounts. The other tower is vice versa. Not sure how I'm suppose to mount both towers to take advantage of camber and body mount like the original plastic tower.
Line up the string of holes to mount the shocks from the two pieces. Put a couple of screws through this and now you have one shock tower. The installation is fairly obvious after that.
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 06:54 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had the same problem when it was time to pick another TC. I ended up with the TA04-TRF rather than the Yokomo SD. Reason being was that I had experiences on the Yokomo special that made me decide on the Tamiya instead.

I've been through a lot of kits from the TA01 to the Factory team TC3 (for onroad/EP). One thing is for sure though, Tamiyas' got a winner here on the TRF. My onlike dislike is that I can't fit a saddle pack on it.
paulc is offline   Reply With Quote