R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-13-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Lipo Balancer

Can someone explain to me what it does and how it works?
Are they built in to the charger or do I connect them to the battery while the battery is charging?
If it helps at all I am going to be running the Duratrax Ice Charger
Drift_Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:09 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Just found this on another site
Balancing, and more specifically the NEED to balance is a hotly contested subject right now. In my experience and opinion, if a pack (especially just a 2 or 3 cell car pack) actually requires balancing during any time during it's lifespan, you'd do well to look into another brand. That's a harsh viewpoint, and may not be shared by many openly, but it's my honest opinion from working with many many brands for many many years.

Basically, you can view balancing a lipo pack like a continuing process of matching NiMH cells. NiMH cells are manufactured by the billions and due to this large scale of production economy, each and every one is slightly different. Just about everyone is familiar with the process of starting with a large sample group of NiMH cells and matching their internal resistance (voltage under load) and runtime. There are very few factories producing just a few brands of these cells, so the same process needs to be used for all of them. Lipos are a little different. There are dozens of factories producing hundreds of brand names of lipo cells, and they vary radically in both performance and safety. The same brand name may even source cells from several different factories! Making sure the pack containing multiple cells will perform consistently with the cells inside "in balance" is an issue that is totally dependent on the individual pack. As stated above - some you’ll never have to worry about, some you’ll NEED to worry about from day one.

One of the main Lipo brand folks and I discussed the balancing ports on their packs a while back, and he dubbed them the "PPP" ports. "PPP" standing for Paranoid Placation Ports. In other words - they are only there to satisfy the few overly concerned folks, and largely go not only unused, but aren't even recommended to be used from the factory brand itself.

So basically - with good packs in the first place, don't worry about it.

Does everyone balance their batteries?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I got a balancer with a couple other guys and we hooked up the balancer every couple weeks just to check our packs. Now I hook up the balancer every couple months... my packs have never been out of balance. It's nice to know they are in balance but I wouldn't spend a lot of money on one.
padailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default lipo balancing

Usually Lipo's get out of balance if they are discharged close to the 6v cutoff. A balancer can only help, but balance while charging. Balancing a discharged battery before charging isn't that effective. Since a balancer costs $30 (electrifly,) it's a small price to pay to safeguard your lipo packs.

It's interesting that the same people who think $30 is a waste are buying $100 lipo packs, and $120+ chargers and think nothing of it.
billjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I asked this question to Josh from Maxamps.com. He said the voltages are usually off by a very small amount (I think he said something like 0.01V or 0.02V). The balancer reads the voltage from each cell and finds the highest voltage cell(s) and then flashes an LED light on and off rapidly to reduce the voltage of the highest cell(s) until they are all matched. The LED light is the item that dissipates the extra voltage. So as you can see, it's not very much voltage correction (resistance) being applied, and this explains why the balance wires are so small. They are not being used to charge, they are being used to discharge small amounts of excess voltage.
James35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Thanks for your replys